No announcement yet.

What an fool... Naked Haunted House Offered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I put in an edit (Disclaimer) I was being Sarcastic.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
      Really? Did someone say its not sexual it's just nudity? That's the most idiotic thing I've heard since this lame idea itself. People don't have sex with their clothes on very much. It's a perverts dream this is. But seriously, the real problem I see is have you seen the average American lately? It's not going to be a pretty sight but I guess if your goal is to see a bunch of naked people then it doesn't matter so much.

Probably he's getting his A** kicked in his market so he's desperate to make an impact. How sad.

DA
      Did you read the article or just make baseless accusations?

Also, it is just nudity. Welcome to the history of humanity, non-sexual nudity is and has been used in every culture since the dawn of civilization. Even in the good old U.S. nudity is not always sexual.

Plus, if you did read the article, you would know that it's only for a select group of people, with plenty of security and those who do not want to be fully nude do not have to be. Additionally, being nude is about being vulnerable.

BTW you can have sex with your clothes on.
      Last edited by Toothpaste; 09-19-2013, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Here is the deal ...

1) Its a desperate pitch for PR and cheap one at that. Run around NUDE in your haunted house... that is beyond desperate and its degrading to our industry. As far someone thinking its a good PR you are flat out nuts... do me a favor and try it in your own haunted house and see what happens. Just yesterday we are talking about what ... that dog getting run over. These dog lovers whip up a storm, same thing happens with satanic themes, or asylum haunts, and worse. But what you are inviting to your door is some city officials to get involved. The minute people start complaining to the mayor, or who knows who might be offended by this you are done! This PR stunt is without comprehension the dumbest move I've ever seen in our industries history.

2) How many people will be offended or assume its more than it really is, or lets say some girl out there makes an accusation she was sexual harassed not just through the naked haunt but anywhere as an actress, the secretary, a customer they will be pointing directly at this stunt as proof these guys tolerate this type of behavior. Strictly from a operational standpoint it invites multiple problems.

3) What are you saying in a market where you are surrounded by competition?? Well for one every haunt owner is interviewed about it if it does drum up TV NEWS for the place will slam him, I would! Additionally he'll get a few quacks excited especially the sex offender world they'll be out in force to buy tickets, but they will find hundreds and thousands who are easily offended slamming him in the community. Yeah sure a few people will say there is nothing wrong with this... but for everyone one of those there will be 100 who don't agree. You can turn off a lot of people here...

4) Lastly what are you saying about your haunted house that we have to rely on non-sense like this to get business? To me it says our haunted house isn't as good as everyone else, we need to try silly promotions to stay in business, we aren't scary because in order to scare you we ask you run through nude. And lets be honest how many takers you think they will get ... I'm betting hardly anyone so is it worth it? NO WAY!

Here is my challenge if you think the PR will be so positive why don't all of you attempt this? I doubt one of you would ever ever try it... and last but not least this coming from someone who is the president of an association no matter how dead that is. If some joe blow haunt did it whatever but the guy who is the president of an association NO WAY! That association needs to fire this guy pronto!

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Check out his facebook page and read the comments about the naked haunted house... people are making jokes about how old men will enjoy it, others are saying its totally wrong, some are asking if its legal ... you don't need that type of stuff being asked about your haunted house. Sorry!

To many negatives here... way to many. What bothers me is he wants to be a spokesman and he's running a naked haunted house.

https://www.facebook.com/shocktoberf...ation=timeline
          Larry Kirchner
          President

Comment

Rape!

People these days are looking for anyway to scam up money. Let's go to this nude haunted house, go in naked and scream rape! All it takes is one person to say they were touched and Bam! I know a girl that said she got touched at school and she got 50k and I don't think she got touched(chick was real slutty and would of liked it maybe). Do you think your insurance covers rape victims?

Comment

Insurance typically doesn't cover third party criminal acts, that is not to say that you can't sue your insurance company to keep insurance intact but they would attempt to get out of coverage. I agree with you 110%.

Larry
              Larry Kirchner
              President

Comment

You all are reading way to much into this. It's GREAT PR and last I checked no other haunt anywhere was getting this much attention on such a public scale. So, it's working.

Also, the articles and interviews CLEARLY state that this nude part of the haunt will be after hours and security will be greatly stepped up. To me, anyone brave enough to go in naked and cry foul (in order to press some false harassment case) would be a idiot knowing security is all around them and eyes WILL be watching. I'm sure the Patrick has backed himself up and protected himself legally for any such event or he wouldn't be holding an event like this.

I think it's brilliant. It's NOT sexual by any means, the ones who think it is are the true perverts. Nudity is just natural, nothing more than that. Just look at the body painters and makeup artist...body painting is not in any way sexual, just an expression of art. So, why can't this haunt event be nothing more than NOT sexual and more about being vulnerable and scared. Works for Discovery Channel and get's MILLIONS of viewers on TV.

Good for this haunt. It's nice to see someone pushing the boundaries instead of the same old boring crap that the major haunts tend to do year in and year out.

-Tyler
                http://www.hauntdesignkit.com
                >Download free Google SketchUp collections made just for haunt owners and designers.

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HauntDesignKit

Comment

Larry, in the decades that I have been reading your posts on this and other boards, you always do the same thing. You rip on any new idea and say how bad it is, also making personal attacks on the originator of said ideas. That is, until you use that same idea. Then it's the greatest idea in the world and you're so glad you thought of it.

Comment

Your comment was without any merit what so ever... when you make an accusation like that back it up with at least ONE example. I don't bash any idea then only turn around and do it myself. Your comment is idiotic because you couldn't back that up if your life depended on it. If you are going to make accusations back them up with facts... so I'm sitting here and I'm waiting.

I don't copy anyone I don't attend haunt shows, tradeshows, other haunted houses, nothing I want to be known for what I do not what others do. I've tried just about everything you can think of and failed at many things and I'm willing to admit that ... but its never stopped me from trying new things. I don't buy anything from the tradeshow everything we do is custom made by our team or from vendors we contract to make things for us based on what we want!

This website was totally developed by myself and my team ... we copy nothing from anyone show me another site like it.

We make how to dvd's and we try to help people, these forums are meant to help people, my comments are meant to help put people in the right direction. I'm actually ONE OF THE ONLY guys with the super successful haunts trying to help people... I've devoted my entire life to that. Yes I have opinions and I share them and you don't have to agree with them all because that is your right... but I share them all the same. Have I been wrong sure... but you learn by doing not by following. I don't follow ever!

I'm a doer!

Hey but just for you I'm going to DO THE NAKED HAUNTED HOUSE because I think that is such an awesome idea!!! LOL NOT!

Your comments are so way the hell off base... this type of promotion is CRUDE, has nothing to do with scaring people, could actually be illegal, will pile up tons of complaints, and you never know a lawsuit or two. Everything about this idea is STUPID! That is my opinion and if you think I'm wrong I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU to do it yourself see what kind of reaction you get... c'mon wise guy!

Its such a great idea go for it!

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President

Comment

A story for those willing to read it ...

When I first moved The Darkness from its original building to the new one we were all set to open and bam...

A fire happened in Illinois and the headline said something like... 'haunted house building burns down'. The newspaper showed up at my place saying they are doing a story about the haunt and wanted to take pictures. We said sure go for it...

The very next day there is this major story in the paper about 'are haunted houses safe' because of the fire that happened in Illinois. Fact is there was never a fire it was a vacant building that some charity had a haunt in the previous year... so next thing you know every tv station wants a tour through our haunt to see all of our safety measures. The fire dept said don't even ... so we didn't.

To make a long story short we were set to open one weekend and didn't get open for another THREE WEEKS because of this story... the city wouldn't let us! They came up with one thing after another we had to do costing about $50k or so ... I had to hire people pay tons of money work 24 hours a day to do everything new they came up with.

One day we are aok then right when we are about to get our permit this story runs about something that didn't even really happen... that story cost us three weekends of not opening and an extra $50,000.00. It got so ridiculous finally I had to call the HEAD GUY and start talking about getting an attorney involved. He said the media was making their life hell because of this so called vacant building that burnt down... finally he gave me a list that he said OKAY THIS IT! And finally three weeks and 50k later we opened.

Here the moral of the story...

NO ONE REALLY LIKES YOU GUYS BUT YOUR CUSTOMERS LEARN IT LIVE IT AND ACCEPT IT... if the city wanted you closed it would happen in ten minutes. They could come up with 10 million dollars worth of stuff they could make you comply with, they could alter zoning, they could do whatever they want... the very last thing you ever want is your neighbor complaining about you, someone raising hell about you, or bringing unwanted PR upon yourself. That is NO GOOD for a very very very small business person. They shut down the original SPOOKYWORLD in one season the biggest haunt in America at the time and its not the first or the last haunt who will get on the bad side of the city officials and go down the tubes.

So again the moral of this story is keep a low profile fly under the radar get through your season don't set off alarms because you won't last if you do... having a naked themed haunted house, or something shocking like that Mall of the Dead that opened here many years ago they turned on that guy he opened for three days and boom out of business. If they don't want you you aren't going to stay... this word is SO PC its unreal look at Distortions and the latex dog. That is absurd...

But again look at it... we think its totally awesome but those people think its the end of the world. Why bring some massive amount of attention upon yourself that might get you in trouble with the wrong people. Do your business and do a great job close down and look forward to the following year. Doing AN ALL NUDE HAUNT... I'm betting that will grab the attention of church leaders, who are connected with city officials and someone won't be happy about the result.

Not to say no one could get away with it but most won't... you'll land your business in HOT WATER for just no other reason its one of the worst idea's I've ever heard. This isn't about who bashes the idea or who loves the idea... its a DUMB MOVE!

We are not invisible and in fact very vulnerable business to public scrutiny. If anyone truly thinks this is a good again you look no further than their own facebook page where they are being bashed for the idea... so trust me no I won't ever be doing an all nude event at my place. I doubt its even legal.

Larry
                      Larry Kirchner
                      President

Comment

I didn't know the House of Shock or Haunted Hoochie kept a low profile?

-Tyler
                        http://www.hauntdesignkit.com
                        >Download free Google SketchUp collections made just for haunt owners and designers.

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HauntDesignKit

Comment

Hey Larry. Elvis didn't do no drugs. Examples: Website for Haunters "Haunted America", Magazine for Haunters "Haunted Attractions", and any Haunters organization that you weren't running, for starters.

Comment

OMG... You said I trashed ideas then turned around and did then myself only to end up saying I created the idea. You provide no examples of this ever happening clear as day.

1) Haunted House Magazine: The very first magazine was in fact one that was started by Transworld believe it or not and Leonard in fact had an article in it. Little do you know... then later Leonard started a magazine with a guy named Oliver Holler. Then later John Denely did Fright Times which I helped him with. Once John Denley stopped printing Fright Times we started Hauntworld Magazine. We never bashed the idea of there being an industry magazine nor did we ever claim we started the concept. So here you've presented a bad example... in fact who knows when the first magazine was printed what 1800 something? No one can take credit for starting a magazine. OMG much less ME!

2) Haunted America: Another bad example... Joe Jenson will actually freely admit to you that the idea for a haunted directory was in fact MY IDEA. There was the first ever haunted house seminar produced by Transworld and I was there the seminar was by a guy named Joe Briggs or something he wasn't doing very well and Joe Jenson took the mic and took it over... I stood up and said we as an industry needed to work together to create a way to help people find haunted houses nationwide, a road map, one place to find all haunts, and find sponsors. The following year Joe Jenson started Haunted America and he came to me and said I started this based on your idea... Joe Jenson was the first to start a haunted online directory the idea was never bashed because it was my idea. And even though they started the first one no one ever bashed the concept of a haunted directory ever. Joe Jenson got bashed for his AOL PROGRAM for taking peoples money building a haunted house with it... this was covered in detailed in Jim O'Rear's magazine by Rich Hanf. Rich Hanf totally exposed the whole scam... Haunted America later closed down due to the scam. As for Hauntworld it was started as a message board ONLY a way to communicate it wasn't a haunt directory as a focus rather a communication tool and its going strong 15 years later. Just a tid bit for you... my cousin Danny actually started a haunted directory at the same time as Haunted America it was called Haunted Houses of America it was a free site he made... that is actually how and why I started HauntWorld.com he say down showed me what he made including yahoo groups and everything else and I bought the URL HauntWorld.com for him and I to do something together. My cousin Danny died of a massive heart attack at the age of 32. Tragic actually... at the time I never actually thought I would take the website in the direction it is now but to honor him I did and have spent well north of a million dollars developing this site as an industry resource. This site has helped more people in this industry than anything ... and it was started with my cousin and continued in his honor because I never in a million years thought it would ever be this big.

3) Associations: This industry has rejected associations from the word go... even though you were a big supporter of Leonard and basically everything he ever wanted to do. I've always seen you as a blind follower never really thinking for yourself ... you seem to take issue me and you always have for thinking different than you. But again this is another false accusation because I never bashed the concept only to turn around and say it was my idea and support it. I always supported the concept of an association if it was for professional haunted house owners and not operated by enthusiasts. I was the one who kept preaching the association should do a tradeshow for haunted houses and break away from the retail show. I was saying that day one... ask Liz Foral who I spoke to many times who was the President in the early days. Here is the story behind starting IAHA ... it wasn't actually Leonard's idea it was a group of haunt owners which included the biggest haunt owner at the time David Bertolino from Spookyworld. They sat down in a room and talked about it... Leonard then ran off and really pushed it without any real planning it just started after a meeting in Chicago and the first board members many of which were actors, enthusiasts and so on... David who actually had the idea for it didn't join because he said Larry one of my actors just got on the board I'm not joining something where one of my actors is on the board. The rest is history on that one...

I was not supportive of the association run by enthusiasts for professional haunted house owners... I think most professional haunts agreed. But never was the concept of an association bashed by me I was always a supporter and donated tons of my time and money to the cause. The issue with an association for this industry is that no one can seem to do what they say they will do, ever. IAHA was a total disaster if it wasn't run by enthusiasts it was by people who try to benefit themselves and look at associations today they basically don't exists. Now the new association has the President running naked haunted houses... that in and of itself is a joke.

So basically John you have made a claim that is totally and completely bogus and you are giving examples from 15 or more years ago. I'm still waiting for you to present an idea that backs up what you said... I bashed on a new idea, then turned around a year later and did it then claimed it was my idea.

Fact is John I'm not going to turn around a year from now and say ... THIS NAKED HAUNTED HOUSE IS AN EXCELLENT IDEA and I'm doing it. TRUST ME!

I'm also never doing a money back haunted house, I'm not ever doing anything gimmicky or anything like that. Never.

I have gained many great ideas from my fellow haunters and honestly when I first started off my biggest inspiration was after a visit to SPOOKYWORLD and then a friendship with David Bertolino. I turned Darkness into a haunted screampark after visiting his place the overall concept of the place was incredible although we did many different things we did many of the same things like a museum, getting horror celebs, a gift store, stage shows all things I saw at Spookyworld. I did many of my own things as well like a 13 hole mini golf, a movie theater, an arcade, and well honestly a much better haunted house.

Bottom line I have written about it and I've posted about zillions of times how I gained my inspiration early on I visited about 100 haunted houses I saw everything from Thillvania, Rocky Point, Edge of Hell/Beast, Spookyworld, everything Denly did up in Salem, to even Joe Jensons Hades haunted house in Chicago. I went to Knotts Scary Farm to Universal Studios...

I have produced Hauntworld the Movies talking about how I got inspired and how people should visit haunts to get inspiration ... never ever have I said you shouldn't do these things. I've always preached the opposite... flat out.

You've steered the conversation away from what the post is actually about... the president of an association that claims to be spokesman for this industry and he does a NAKED haunted house.

Its bad no matter how you shake it out and I will NOT be doing the same a year from now as you claimed.

Larry
                            Larry Kirchner
                            President

Comment

Tyler,

I think you missed the spirit of what I was saying about keeping a low profile. No you shouldn't try to fly under the radar you want tons of PR that helps you get your business to the level you want it to be... I've reaped the rewards of tons of great PR. That is not what I mean... I mean doing things that will bring possible unwanted attention upon yourself you don't need. Doing crazy stunts like a naked haunted house could draw the wrong attention from the wrong people...

Look at the nightmare Randy Bates went through trying to open a haunt in a real asylum the town went CRAZY... Randy had the city on his side on that one which is really rare feat. I'll bet you 9 times out 10 that haunted house doesn't open calling itself an Asylum with the same amount of negative backlash. I've already pointed out how many haunts got shut down, and I've heard the horror stories a zillion times how the city shut them down.

As for Dead Acres he called me a few years ago because he experienced backlash for a percieved abortion scene people didn't like that much, and House of Shock has told me multiple times the community tried to SHUT THEM DOWN! Dead Acres in my opinion has time on their side they've been this way more or less for the word GO, and House of Shock fought many battles to stay open but they are in New Orleans NOT in the bible belt or a big overwhelming media market where the media frenzy could derail everything.

There is always going to be a rare case where you can survive a backlash from the community but we've seen 9 times out of 10 the haunted house owners will lose!

So why even bring that upon yourself ... that is my point.

Larry
                              Larry Kirchner
                              President

Comment

People Go To A NUDE Beach, don't They ?????

Hey, it's all in fun. a gimmick. something DIFFERENT........I give the guy credit for trying SOMETHING......... at least you can wear your UNDERPANTS !!!!!! TATER would approve of that !!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X