No announcement yet.

Do I have a right to be pissed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are they paying you? Are they paying scale for an actor? For an extra? Probably not. But, if they are, do what they say. That's real good money for a haunt.

Or are they paying you as little as they legally can?

Or are you a volunteer?

Haunt acting isn't a high profile job. Most haunt actors are a motley crew of people who like the idea of haunting. They're not paid great(sometimes not paid at all). They do this for the love of it. Treating your actors like chattel will get you a crew of cowed, timid actors constantly more concerned with offending their boss than they are of scaring the customers. Demanding professional level acting from them--while not paying for that level of acting is a fools game.

That said, haunt actors are easily replaced. They're people who like haunting and there are far more of them than there are openings at a haunt.

Haunts work best when owners work with their actors, encouraging and inspiring them. This creates a crew that feels part of the haunt, that wants to be part of the haunt, part of the family. On my big haunt tour I met a volunteer haunter who bought a silicone mask for over $500 because he thought it would add to his effect in a haunt that doesn't pay him(it did, he was great). He did it because he loved his job.

That's the attitude you want. And you'll never get it if you actors can't speak up because they've got the wrong color card.

Teach, encourage and inspire first--then deal with problems as they arise. Treating everyone as a problem right out of the gate only guarantees that you'll have a lot of problems.

Comment

Jack,
      I could not disagree more. I get pretty good results with actors with this system- learn to crawl before you walk. Learn fundamentals then fly. I dont want a performer to buy a silicone mask for their set- I want one I am confident enough in to invest in myself.
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

This is the way I see it. If you have to come on the forum to get validation for what you are feeling then you should go with it and see where it takes you. I have watched a lot of actors this year (a total of 79 haunts worth as of today) and find that most actors think that the are the greatest in the industry. But most actors don't go out and see what others are doing and take notes and learn. I held a class for actors this year and had Allen Hopps, Drew Badger, Michael Edwards and Bart Butler teach it, I would say that 25% of the people that walked through the door thought they would not learn much. I will say that 100% walked out learning to be a better actor. You need to be open to what ever is thrown at you and develop you craft with a open mind! don't let your ego get in the way. If your haunt is asking for this then they must be looking for someone that can act without speaking and a actor that can play a character without words is a actor that can work for me any day. Allen has a Charater named Carl and Carl is very entertaining que line Charater but Carl is creepier when is not speaking and just using his body movement to creep you out. The secret to becoming the best you can is not focusing on what you do well but on what you don't do well. Good luck.
        Phatman

Comment

Thanks for your responses everyone!

Last weekend, I did end up at the haunt and acted under my green card restrictions. It was alright, and I did break the rule a few times due to important circumstances where a simple growl was not enough, but other than that it was alright.

My voice hurt from coming up with new noises and such, but over all it wasn't that bad. I did get to work the lines a bit because they missed me and my talents, which was nice, but I think I was a bit over reactive when I heard the news about this new system.

Overall, I will have to say that this system is not for everyone. If the actor is not willing to commit to a character enough to explore each of these levels of "carding" or however you want to call it, then they aren't committed enough to the haunt. Do I think it was poorly timed in the season? Absolutely. Would it be better used as a training tool? I think so. But if the system works, go for it.
          "If I ever hear , "Boo", "Hiss", or "Roar", I will personally kick you in the pants."

Comment

From the MGNT side...

From a cast manager perspective, this would be a good way to weed out the ones who HAVE been there for as long as they have, and are still not where the show needs them to be. I could also assist in them getting rid of long time actors that are not growing at all.
            Egos are fragile and HUGE in this industry, and this a way to level the playing field. If someone doesn't want to follow the rules, they are obviously not a team player and therefore will leave on their own accord. It also could be someone not sure of what they are doing, starting their actor training from scratch....
            My advice, if you've given them no reason to be gunning for you, and your characters are strong, and you are willing to be apart of the team, set your ego aside, and follow their rules, and you should have no trouble getting where you need to be.
            I know when I look for valued actors, I don't just look at ability, I look at flexibility and their willingness to do whatever I ask them to do on any given night, and know that they will do whatever takes to make the show the best it could be
            Hang in there, you seem to "get" it, so I think you will be ok!!
            Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
              Jack,
              I could not disagree more. I get pretty good results with actors with this system- learn to crawl before you walk. Learn fundamentals then fly. I dont want a performer to buy a silicone mask for their set- I want one I am confident enough in to invest in myself.
              I'm curious, what do you disagree with?

Haunters do this largely for the love of it

The best owners encourage and inspire their actors

There are more potential haunt actors than there are positions

Treating your actors like chattel isn't a good idea

These are some of the ideas I put forth. What do you disagree with?

I did not specifically criticize the system talked about-- only the idea that demands and prohibitions might not be the best first step. You sell how-to acting videos--I would think that teaching, inspiring and encouraging would be at the top of your list(and, judging from your website content, it is).

So what do you disagree with?

The actor I spoke of, the one who bought his own mask? He's in one of the haunts that is routinely ranked top in the country. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen them outside the top ten--and usually in the top five. So, whatever they're doing, it works. It works REALLY good.

I DO think training, encouraging, and inspiring are the best way to go--and I DO think the system seems to move to stifling far too quickly, and I can understand you disagreeing with that, but "I could not disagree more" just leaves me kinda speechless.

Comment

Originally posted by Tater View Post
                Ive been an doing a character for 9 years...and as these people will tell you...I am a horrible actor!

Use the anger that you have drive you to get that pink card
                You've been a character for 9 yrs too

Comment

Pink card?

Just like in "Reservoir Dogs" nobody wants to be Mr. Pink and who wants a pink card? You'd think they'd want to give you a card with a skull and crossbones if you were really good and had all the responsibilities... but pink?

Not that there's anything wrong with pink.

If you're a girl.

Comment

You know what there are so many haunted houses out there now from an amusement park to a professional haunt to a charity haunt to a home haunt... I'd say find a new place to haunt, a place that you want to be and a place that allows you to make what you do fun the way you want to have fun scaring people.

Does this make sense? LOL

Its really not the end of the world ... maybe its his loss but its his loss to make. Sometimes their loss is your gain!!!

You never really know what else is possible unless you explore a little bit!

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President
                    www.HalloweenProductions.com
                    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Working...
                    X