How many people is too many?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many people is too many?

Last night in our haunt, there was a small issue with over-sized groups going through. In my experience I have seen larger groups of 6 or 8 people at a time but hardly ever more. We had groups of 8 and 10 go through because there were lines and our "door guy" wanted to push people so they didn't have to wait. I have instructed him that waiting to get in the haunt builds the fright. But I think he doesn't see it. Our actors complained that they couldn't scare some groups and people were leaving disappointed. Eventually, I put the foot down. Then the groups became smaller and the screams returned. We are still working out the kinks of starting a new haunt but this kind of thing is an easy fix. So, how about a quick survey: What is the maximum number of people in each group that you let through your haunt?
    RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Download part 1 of Andrew's Black Book of ideas for haunts here:
    http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=EGQDK8HZ

I refuse more than six, even if its seven, I split them three and four. They can talk with their friends about it outside the haunt, they paid to get scared and sometimes don't realize their own ignorance in coming in large groups and wanting to go through all together, so if we want to give them the show they deserve, then they darn well better get split up, and if they complain, i like to educate them and tell them why and usually they end up being more grateful for looking out for them than being mad for splitting them up. Also, you might want to make it clear to your door man who his boss is..... you have your title for a reason.

Comment

We've had to experiment with this same issue over the years. This being our 12th season at our haunt, we've got our groups down to a science and they are based solely on the number of people that can comfortably fit in any one of our rooms at a time. (standing side by side) We have one particular spot in the haunt that is restricted more than the rest and it has proven to be our determining factor. We can fit 5 people in this space standing side-by-side without anyone being on top of the other, so this has become our magic number. Our door man knows that ONLY groups of 5 or less can be let in at a time. If a large group shows up to by tickets they are told that Only 5 people can enter at a time, NO Exceptions. They can choose to pair up in smaller groups but if there are only two people in a group, our door man will attempt to pair them up with another group of two or three people to keep from only sending 2 people in.

For our haunt 2 in too few and 6 is too many. "5" is the magic number but anything form 3-5 will work. hope this helps.
      Chris Riehl
      Sales@spookyfinder.com
      (586)209-6935
      www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Ditto

Originally posted by screamforadream View Post
        I refuse more than six, even if its seven, I split them three and four. They can talk with their friends about it outside the haunt, they paid to get scared and sometimes don't realize their own ignorance in coming in large groups and wanting to go through all together, so if we want to give them the show they deserve, then they darn well better get split up, and if they complain, i like to educate them and tell them why and usually they end up being more grateful for looking out for them than being mad for splitting them up. Also, you might want to make it clear to your door man who his boss is..... you have your title for a reason.
        What more answer do you need? Just also tell them "The closer you stay together the better it is; YOU can ruin the best effects by being too far part".

Wicked farmer
        Last edited by wickedfarmer; 10-20-2013, 10:06 AM.

Comment

How many people

My limit is 4 maybe 5. That is the max.
          Capt.Chaos
          Fear Asylum Haunted House
          Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

Our haunt is half outdoors, and 2 indoor attractions. The one which is more of an indoor maze we try to use 6 as the max. We get some groups who have very little kids and want to go together and they get scared of anything so we may allow 8 max since 2 small kids account for 1 lol. Our last HH we have a max of 6 since it is 3 rooms with skits that allow a max of 6 to make it work. Our 2 trails and cornfield max of 6 and groups get split 4 and 4 etc. We also have signs posted For maximum scares and safety up to 6 guests allowed at a time. People have been reading it and form their own groups like 2 and 3 so its been going well.

Comment

I am at a loss

This is our first year on this scale. And I have found out, "that if you build it....they will com-plain!"
              We were doing groups of six. Well we had 700 people show up at the same time and they proceeded to bitch to the point of us breaking our own rule and allowing up to 10 people because the wait ballooned to 2 hours. We are in Florida and according to these people its hotter at our place than at Halloween Horror nights or Howl-o-scream. These people are the biggest whiners, so they were mad at the wait and then made because we made the groups larger. What do we do?
              Joe Phillips
              The Shallow Grave
              Winter Haven FL
              http://www.theshallowgrave.com/

Comment

On heavy nights I do groups of 10. The scares are set up for it for it is not to bad of an inconvenience. If the areas are 50/50 actor inside the walls of hairpin turns working through curtains and windows and the other half in the open so the guests can see them then it works out pretty good. the actor in the open can bunch them back up (like a sheep dog not by asking- just driving). Plan for your heaviest nights not for the regular nights.
                Allen H
                www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I have worked at Scarowinds (theme park) where they would have over 30,000 in the park at once. Those are not fun nights.
                  http://www.bigscaryshow.com
                  http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Anticipate the herd

Knowing what your throughput will be like should come into play when designing scares. If you have an unexpected surge in attendance during the season, having a "plan B" for high traffic flow nights can help too.
                    For example: Universal and Howl-O-Screams both have massive attendance and have to run conga lines. Their scares are designed around that; you often see the same scare set up twice back to back with two different actors doing the same thing. They work off each other and "leap frog" so to speak by doing the same scare at alternating intervals to the line so that everyone can experience it. So while you may be looking ahead and see one actor scare people in front of you, an actor that skipped the people in front of you comes out of nowhere and scares you. Likewise, the actor you saw scare folks in front of you will remain in hiding as you pass.
                    This does require more actors and potentially more space, but look at your show and you may get some ideas about anything like this or similar you can do to help keep up quality on busy nights.

Comment

The first haunt I ever worked at would send down groups of 20 or more..there is no way I ever do that again. It was scaring on a conveyer belt..you pop out repeatedly hit the group a few times and then get ready for the next one..no thought, no art, just get in there and scream at them. Now we do groups maybe 6 if pressed, but we normally try 2 , 3, and 4 . Families , friends all want to go in together..but a skilled " herder " can get them to divide most of the time. If you have people complaining about a long wait then think up something to entertain them while they wait. Roamers, a live band, gift shop, concessions, quick skits, videos..lots of things out there that can be done to help break up the monotony of standing in line. I recall an episode of Supernatural where the new lord of Hell was describing how he changed the place , made it more streamlined...Hell is now one long wait in line..you get to the end of it finally and your shot to the back to start over..now that scared me !

Comment

ok sooo.....

What do you do about all of the bitchin and moaning about long lines because you do a good job and now everyone is in your line waiting to get in all at once? Actors can only do so much for so long before people get pissed. We had a two hour wait at one point. Granted most of them forgot about the wait once they got thru it. But I would still like to figure out a way without compromising the show. Congo lines are out of the question.

The Shallow Grave
                        Joe Phillips
                        The Shallow Grave
                        Winter Haven FL
                        http://www.theshallowgrave.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Joe P View Post
                          What do you do about all of the bitchin and moaning about long lines because you do a good job and now everyone is in your line waiting to get in all at once? Actors can only do so much for so long before people get pissed. We had a two hour wait at one point. Granted most of them forgot about the wait once they got thru it. But I would still like to figure out a way without compromising the show. Congo lines are out of the question.

The Shallow Grave
                          There are a couple things to do for long lines. Disney brings the attraction outside the rides and lets you interact with items and actors while you wait. I have seen displays set up like a dark museum filled with oddities. We have picture frames showing the back story. Also in the cues are actors walking around scaring people and there are magicians that do tricks. Some haunts set animations to go off in waiting areas once in a while so that part of the haunt is outside. This is the best place to ensure that what people will see inside the haunt is real...although it might not be. For instance your walls might be bricks and there might be cages with live animals or insects. People have these images in their heads before they go in the door. Inside your haunt the bricks can be carved foam and the cages are real but the animals are all animations. Plus, it never hurts when your door man says that yesterday one of the cages broke and most of the insects were caught... Bottom line, always remember that the waiting line is part of the haunt. It builds terror in your customer's mind while they wait. That's why the lines are so loud. Much like they are for roller coasters. Its way of letting out the fear. Every haunt needs to make the waiting area just as terrifying as the inside.
                          RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Download part 1 of Andrew's Black Book of ideas for haunts here:
                          http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=EGQDK8HZ

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer View Post
                            Knowing what your throughput will be like should come into play when designing scares. If you have an unexpected surge in attendance during the season, having a "plan B" for high traffic flow nights can help too.
                            For example: Universal and Howl-O-Screams both have massive attendance and have to run conga lines. Their scares are designed around that; you often see the same scare set up twice back to back with two different actors doing the same thing. They work off each other and "leap frog" so to speak by doing the same scare at alternating intervals to the line so that everyone can experience it. So while you may be looking ahead and see one actor scare people in front of you, an actor that skipped the people in front of you comes out of nowhere and scares you. Likewise, the actor you saw scare folks in front of you will remain in hiding as you pass.
                            This does require more actors and potentially more space, but look at your show and you may get some ideas about anything like this or similar you can do to help keep up quality on busy nights.
                            I hate the conga lines at Universal Florida. I looked forward to my trip to Horror Nights for so long, and spent so much money making it happen, then every haunt was a conga line. So disappointing! The general atmosphere and outdoor scare stations were the best I've ever seen, but every indoor haunted house was one long, less scary conga line.
                            Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

We did the Universal thing one year too and it was a big waste of money and time. It took two hours to one haunt. It sucked really bad and it was just a line going through the haunt with actors yelling at you to keep moving. I would never go back even if it was free. I would never recommend it to anyone unless you like waiting in long lines for high school style haunted houses.
                              Lordgrimley.com for the very best items on the net.

Comment

Working...
                              X