Mobile haunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile haunt

What are the pros and cons of a mobile haunt? And what is the cost vs. a stand alone building? It seems the Freaklings Bros have it dialed.

thanks

From a 1 year noob standpoint...

1. If you get evicted for some stupid reason, you just hire your driver and pull off the lot!

2. Codes. Here in Arkansas, ADA is only (disability act) only applies to PERMANENT STRUCTURES! Which your trailer, well, it's obviously not.

3. Fire. Much easier for fire exits! In fact, we had a stupid accident in our town here with a backyard haunt that had a stupid actor think it was a good idea to throw paint thinner in a burning barrel. 2 kids got hurt. Was outside the haunt (Believe all were actors)

4. Fire 2. Fire Marshals usually like this setup better because it's so much easier to see everything. Exits (should be anyways) apprxm. every 50ft and they really like that.

5. If you have a smaller haunt (just a couple of trailers) you should be right around the 1,000 ft sprinkler rule. Not that you try to "get around the code" but, more less look at it as a guideline. I'ts not "Oh hey I have to get sprinklers if I'm xxx size"... you look at it as "It's a much safer haunt if it's a 1,000 sq ft in size w/o sprinklers..." get it?

6. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!!!!!! I am in talks with getting to the 'higher ups' to rent parking space for next year at Kmart, just a few blocks from the huge Turtle Creek Mall!! TONS of traffic in this 75k town and has lots of out of towners here. Marketing will be easier on the wallet if you put it in the middle of town with lots of traffic.

... that's about all I got at the.. well oh one more.

7. WALLS! Half of them are already built!

Comment

1000 square feet

Each trailer should be counted as a different structure so the 1000square feet rule should not apply. Greg Chrise touched on a lot of negatives of a trailer haunt in a different post. You have to hook a fire alarm system to the trailers.

Comment

If you're serious, you need to read this article, will do you a whole hell of a lot of good.

http://www.lasvegashaunts.com/PDFs/advantagemobile.pdf

And if you're really serious, you'll read all of the articles relating to trailer haunts on this webpage,
        http://lasvegashaunts.com/media.php

(No I'm not affiliated with Rich or his haunts, but I did enjoy the good read from these articles, the experience that was put into them are remarkable!)

Comment

Good share

That was good articles. Some of the negatives he did not say. Like trailers need to be checked to make sure there road worthy. Also make sure you store them on cement because if not they can sink in the ground if it gets muddy. Trailer storage here is like 1300 a year(if you have five that can add up). Also tires, brakes and any other maintenance to make sure they are road worthy. Plus lot rental( I know someone here that was paying 10k in a prime parking lot).

Comment

Thanks for the info! I am going to open my haunt in 2014! I really like this idea.

thanks so much for your advice

-V

Comment

Mobile Units

I have been working on mine for a few years. Family health issues, time available (I have been on my full time job for over 20yrs so it comes first), and just money have made it necessary for me to take my time. A mobile haunt is the best option for me. Thankfully I have made connections over the years and been able to accumulate several trailers, so I will be able to open a multi-haunt set up next year. Be sure to check your state and local ordinances before trying to open. Here in Michigan we have laws pertaining to mobile attractions. We fall under alot of the same laws that pertain to mobile amusement rides and there are laws pertaining directly to haunted attractions. Some local ordinances are very strict. I helped a local Jaycees, a couple of times, and the local Fire Marshal did all he could to keep them from opening. He had local ordinances behind him, and, he had a very dim view of haunted attractions. I personally heard him say that he felt haunted attractions were "Ghetto" and only draw the kind of people, they don't want, to their town. Before you even ask, yes the Mayor and City Council were made aware of his statements (even in public forum at a council meeting) and they could not have cared less.

Best advice I can give you.
              Location: Look long and hard before deciding where to put your haunt
              Outer Appearance: Disguise the fact that it is trailers as much as possible. (We have several around Metro-Detroit that are just trailers with scenes painted on them and they do not do well)
              Inner Appearance: Like the article says, you have the time make your guests believe they are actually in a building
              Combine: If possible use it in connection with another attraction. Can be as simple as being in the lot of a very popular store. I am looking to combine two haunted structures, a hayride, corn maze, and a couple of surprises I am working on. More bang for your buck always makes people happy.

Good luck

Comment

Michigan mobile

I'm originally from MI. Where in MI are you?

thanks

-V

Comment

Working...
                X