No announcement yet.

It Hurts to alwasy be right but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not disagreeing with the statistics you posted.
    But you are looking at social media in a vacuum.

End of the day Google will drive most of your haunts traffic, with the highest percentage of that traffic coming from organic rankings on google. SEO is extremely important for haunts.
    So with that being said in 2013 and moving into 2014, google and SEO studies have shown that Social Media is becoming one of the biggest factors that affect SEO moving forward. Tweets of a certain url, faceook fans of a business linked to a url, google plus followers and G+'s on a url, twitter followers of a twitter account linked to a url, number of shares on facebook that a url receives, ect ect. Google and search engines are putting a huge focus on the websites that are doing a COMPLETE online marketing program, or doing everything right, not just writing good articles or changing some keywords. Now this means that your social media stategy should be much different than most people are doing, so if you are sitting there updating your facebook status over and over and wondering why your rankings are raising in google its because it isn't that easy.
    Larry is correct, don't drop all your marketing and think sitting on facebook all day is an alternative. However their is much more too this whole online marketing formula than simply dropping one aspect because it doesn't show that it drives ticket sales directly. Everything works together and is a piece of a bigger puzzles, and SEO is just one of those other areas that active and powerful social media accounts help.
    Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

I have just been learning about SEO and how to get our website higher on the google search results. Right now if you google The Twisted Forest, the first two results are our Facebook page and then our Hauntworld profile. Those 2 didn't take any work on our part to get to the top and they've been at the top for a while. Now, in our 4th year, finally, our website is starting to show up. I think the SEO checklist on Godaddy had a lot to do with this! That checklist added more aspects to our online marketing just like Undertaker313 is talking about.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
      Stephen

The Twisted Forest
      www.thetwistedforest.com
      www.facebook.com/TheTwistedForest

Comment

Just hit em all with something like hootsuite . Set up your campaign for the week or whatever and one click your done.???

Comment

I have to say with a BIG smile on my face that FINALLY someone can actually put up a good point about something without being nasty about it... I take that comment about Twitter as a disagreement with me while at the same time you get a good point back. I love this... hit me with some more I'd love to feel like an idiot about anything that means when I'm pretty sure about something I learn I'm not... that is the point of the forums. If someone puts out a good point back it up but when you disagree make a counter point that is productive. This is great....

Love the post!

SEO is something most haunters don't know much about this I know because I see their websites. I would totally agree that haunters should learn more about SEO its 110 times more important to their business than all social media combined. However my biggest issue with social media is that there is too much of it and everything is watered down people only have so much time in a day!

Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President
          www.HalloweenProductions.com
          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Larry social media when thought of as an SEO tool and a syndication tool for content is very easy. I have tools inside my website that we install so that when an article gets posted it automatically gets posted on over 50 social media profiles. This type of stuff is easy to do, and helps a lot. I actually had a system using google plus and social media accounts that could get an article to ranking on google in a matter of minutes , it is pretty slick.

As for it being too time consuming there are lots of tools and tracking software out there now that streamline it down to a quick glance a day is all it takes. I kept an eye on people tweeting about our competitors this season and sent them links to our website with a discount coupons and won over hundreds maybe even thousands of customers. There is much more to this whole social media thing than spending all day updating your accounts and responding to every single notification.
            Owner of The Fear Experience Haunted House in Cleveland, Ohio, voted the #1 haunted house in Ohio, and #14 in America by Funtober. The Fear Experience Haunted House was called the premier haunted attraction in northeast ohio by cleveland.com and #1 in cleveland by metromix.

Comment

You make some great arguments. I think based on what you are saying I can see some real possibilities and on the flip with what I'm saying about wasting your time to do this we have salt and pepper. If you don't have to do much then its all great, however if you sit there all day long and post on these things its almost worthless. I like your approach! I'm interested.

Larry
              Larry Kirchner
              President

Comment

thank you sir! i know my stuff!

Comment

Speaking from someone who has grown up with all the aforementioned social nets, each was started with an intended purpose. Myspace somewhat was the lynchpin to everything now as far as people and their need to be heard by their peers. Not too far after was Youtube which furthered the drive to be seen by the world. Facebook revolutionized what everyone was doing on Myspace because it gave a perceived "sophisticated" way to do it. I too had a facebook and never used it until I went off to college then it became an obsession. Shortly after THAT twitter became the buzz but it was way more fun when it was in the "who gives a shit about what you're doing" phase and the masses thought it was stupid. It's INTENT being to do what you were already doing on Facebook and Myspace, sharing your thoughts...but in a simplified, often times wittier way (while also making hashtags popular to group thoughts)! Now that it's been taken over by celebs I stopped using it cause it just became too commonplace and overcrowded with junk. Instagram IS the hot new thing...again, with the INTENT of doing what we've already been doing...posting pictures of what we're doing, while adding remarks, tagging others, and utilizing hashtags.

NOW THE GREAT THING IS...everything is basically owned by the same bigwigs so while you say FB is out, technically it MAY be uncool to log into your account but it's "new thing" instagram is a subsidiary which does the same type stuff but simpler. Personally I link all my stuff anyway, so whatever I post on Foursquare goes to my twitter and facebook. Same with my Instagram, so really for me it comes to using the simplest method and broadcasting it out to all mediums!
                  O'Shawn McClendon
                  Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

Here proves a point... Haunted Attraction Magazine. They started out this season with 25,000 likes, now they have almost 100,000. They have jumped almost 75,000 they didn't get that leap from posting on their facebook. Maybe I'm wrong but after looking at it they have made I think FOUR posts in several months... one announcing they are relaunching the magazine, two talking about Rob Zombie and one talking about their release of the magazine four posts in all... but grew by 75,000 or so. How did they do that??? Obviously they paid for them or bought friends or so it appears... is that cheating or a waste of money or smart business?

I could care less if they end up with 1 million friends it doesn't change real traffic and we SLAYED HauntedHouse.com ... facebook plays almost no role in bringing your business traffic. In this case it appears they are obsessed with as many or more facebook likes than Hauntworld so they can say to vendors hey we are more popular than them... well that would be false!

I bring up this point because it really goes to show what I had said before that facebook has really become a popularity contest for business owners... if you can say I have the most facebook friends you can have a perception that you are more popular. People are out there buying facebook friends spending millions of dollars to achieve this but does it help your business sell more tickets, sell more products... no not really.

This year we posted on facebook daily and my haunt business has 64,000 likes and in total facebook was my 7th biggest referring website and that doesn't include direct which was #1 thereby bumping facebook down again... here is my top ten!

1) Google
                    2) Hauntworld
                    3) Yahoo
                    4) Bing
                    5) About.com
                    6) Explore St Louis
                    7) Facebook
                    8) HauntedHouseMagazine.com
                    9) HauntedHayrides.com
                    10) Pandora

The point of this post is not to hammer HAM for buying tons of facebook friends if that is exactly what they are doing but to show that you don't even have to post on facebook really to get friends if you want to pay for them... you can sit there day after day after day do nothing and get tons of likes. Facebook is a business now and they prey on people who get obsessed with building up their facebook likes to the levels of their competition... this is how they make money. I think is a dumb move for people to do that I think Ben said it best that social media works best for you when people promote you on their pages not you trying to promote thru your own page.

But I think anyway at least in my opinion that all it takes with facebook to build a page is a credit card!
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President

Comment

By the way... did you guys know there are sites out there that sell facebook likes so you can jump by leaps and bounds quickly! Go to a search engine and type in boost facebook likes, or even buy facebook likes and you'll find a dozen companies that do promotions they will sell you up to 10,000 facebook likes at a time.

Again not ripping on ANYONE who does these programs if you feel its important to build up your facebook page for perception to clients, sponsors, or whatever then you feel that is important. I'm not going to argue that... my main point is that is it good business does facebook really help your business?

I'm going to say on such a limited scale its hardly a factor at all... so the effort you put into it or should rather has to be in line with the return.

But for those of you out there who want to rapidly grow your page you can do it quickly if you have a credit card.

Larry
                      Larry Kirchner
                      President

Comment

To expand on what I posted a week ago, one of the people I follow wrote a blog post about how he gained a bunch of followers, it's more focused on artists, but explains the process he used to get 1,500 followers in 30 days:
                        http://mattgondek.com/freelance-help...rs-in-30-days/

Comment

Working...
                        X