Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could build a new building for a haunt it would...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think anyone thinks you're wasting time! I love watching things progress, as I'm sure any oh era are who just don't always comment but more lurk in the background

Best of luck with this, can't wait to see more!

Originally posted by legendsofthefog View Post
    I'm going to continue to post construction pics on here... they're not as cool as the Darkness' photos (or all the other cool reno pics everyone posts)... but if I'm wasting your time, you don't have to look.

Builders are moving in tomorrow - but first we had to push the ton of snow off of the pad we just built.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17887[/ATTACH]

Comment

These guys are awesome

building day 1.jpg These guys are awesome! They dug the holes and set all the posts today, worked through some wicked rain... they say it will be polished in 5 or 6 working days if all goes well...
      Patrick Barberry
      www.legendsofthefog.com
      sigpic

Comment

Question, how do you lift and move your skids? I saw in one of your pictures it looked like it was on a trailer but how did you get it up, and back down again? I can't imagine using a standard tow motor to lift something that big, and even more so don't want to think about moving it! Though I guess a boom lift with fork extenders would work. I have lifted 8 foot pallets before with fork extenders but nothing 8 feet tall at the same time.

Comment

We move the skids with a regular forklift. The rooms are not that heavy. We do use fork extenders that we made just to move these things. They're made with 6" channel steel with plates welded on one end to keep them on the fork. OSHA wouldn't approve, but they're light enough to move with a skid loader or a simple forklift. Once we get this building done we will move them with pallet jacks and dollies.
          Patrick Barberry
          www.legendsofthefog.com
          sigpic

Comment

Your Progress

It is great to see your progress because the same thing is happening at our little place. 2 40 x 60 buildings are going up just after Transworld. Most of our haunt has been outdoors and is about the same age as yours(started in 2009). So I share your excitement. Keep the pics coming.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Kenton; 02-20-2014, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Building day 2 and 3

Here are some updated pics. Unfortunately we won't be doing anything haunt related inside until the middle of March, we still have to wait for the ground to thaw to install concrete.
              building-day2.jpg
              Pics from day 2 - posts and leveling
              building-day3-2.jpg
              Pics from day 3 with the trusses set. It is fitting that they were set in the fog.
              building-day3.jpg
              Day 3 - these guys have a very cohesive crew and it shows in their work. 3 8 hour days to get to this point... they set the trusses in 75 minutes. I find this impressive because I built all of my hayride buildings myself for so many years... and I never realized the cost savings, time savings, and energy savings that sub-letting to professionals can do for your business.
              Patrick Barberry
              www.legendsofthefog.com
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by legendsofthefog View Post
                I'm going to continue to post construction pics on here... they're not as cool as the Darkness' photos (or all the other cool reno pics everyone posts)... but if I'm wasting your time, you don't have to look.
                Not true at all!! This is really exciting to see your building coming together! I honestly wish so many more of the haunts on here would post more pictures of their construction like you're doing. Please please please show us pictures once you start building the haunt itself! This is very exciting to see you expanding; congrats on the new building!

-Collin
                *Sigh*I can't wait til' October

Comment

"What Would I Build?"

If somehow I suddenly had a few tons of money and wanted a Haunted House, I would be building it totally underground. I would be pandering to one of the two basic major human fears, (1 "What awaits us under the ground!?" )2 "What awaits us under the water?" Two places we do not seem to thrive usually or even exist well without much money and /or technology to sustain us.
                  Under the ground would make for a quiet neighborhood, it would subtract almost anyone from vandalising or getting in to steal anything.
                  It could be warm in the Winter and cool on the hottest of Summer afternoons (remember them?)
                  No more worries about a hail storm ruining your roof.
                  Of course it would have to be built right the first time with large rubber sheets on top of a concrete roof, then sand with re-bar inside the crete and a drain field going to a sump pump or a lower patch of ground.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Found a deal we couldn't refuse...

Found a deal we couldn't refuse on concrete. We're going to concrete the whole thing, aprons for the doors and aprons at entry doors, etc. The question posed by one of my guys... Once you pour the floor, its not easy to put something under it... is there anything worth burying under concrete that can't be supplied overhead? Heated floors are out IMO. Electric, water, and air can be delivered overhead. Any reason to incorporate anything in the concrete?
                    Patrick Barberry
                    www.legendsofthefog.com
                    sigpic

Comment

If you had an idea where a bathroom might go or floor drains, you could run the lines at least to the edge of the slab for later access.
                      How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

This project slowed down in the snow and rain, but it's almost done now. While the builders finish, we are planning the next phase. We plan to put a 4' catwalk inside the trusses for security, puppets and/or human triggers. I am waiting to hear back from our electrician so we can get lights and a service panel installed in the rear of the building so we can have a small workshop and a make-up and actor area. Once the concrete pad is set, we will begin stick-building the entrance and front half, then moving in the skids for the back half. Although moving from outdoors to indoors has its perks, we are now playing under a totally new set of rules. It will be at least April 1 before I will begin to put any interior together. I'll post more in the near future.

Building---week-2.jpg

Building---week-2-2.jpg
                        We will have to consider expanding the facade to conceal the size structure behind it. My crew has been nagging me to put a roofline on the facade for the past few years... I guess I have a little motivation now...

building---week2-3.jpg

building---week-2-4.jpg

More to come - Patrick
                        Patrick Barberry
                        www.legendsofthefog.com
                        sigpic

Comment

Dual use building?

Will it also be used for storing machinery or cars and trucks inside sometimes? The reason I pose this question , (I see the big two doors) before all the concrete floor gets poured maybe a pit should be formed in someplace for a grease pit for cars, ex ctra, which could also serve as a hiding place as a haunt!
                          Then bury some conduit to a pit for current and maybe even special effects coming from down there.
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Moving right along

Its been almost 3 months since I've posted an update. Our primary business has been stupid busy and we haven't been able to post much. Right now we have the concrete poured (I'll have to post pics later), everything is painted black, and the electrician is finished phase 1. Right now we're working on the sprinkler system process. We should have plans in a week or two, and should follow directly with the installation. We won't start any interior construction until the sprinklers are finished.

building-paint-1.jpg
                            We rented a scissor lift (I should've just bought one) to paint the ceiling
                            Building---paint---2.jpg
                            We used PPG (pittsburgh paints) "Dry Fog" ceiling paint, premixed black. It took 75 gallons. $10/gal. Awesome stuff to work with. It was supposed to dry before it hit the floor... but it was raining like crazy outside so it wasn't dry enough to have it fall dry. But it was very easy to powerwash clean. We used a premix black eggshell on the walls, i think it was $25 a gal, and we used 20 gallons on the walls. Overall it was a pretty cheap coating. We used a commercial sprayer.
                            building---paint---3.jpg
                            Electricians installed lighting for emergencies and working conditions
                            building---paint---4.jpg
                            This is just after an actor event last week. The new building gave our crew a great morale boost!

More to come.
                            Patrick Barberry
                            www.legendsofthefog.com
                            sigpic

Comment

Awesome bones to work with! Congrats!
                              How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

Looks like its on a farm... I would build an old farm house for sure and make sure those corn stalks grow right up along and along side the building to hid the building.

I like the fact that the building is nice and wide open. Looks like you are going to have fun there. Larry
                                Larry Kirchner
                                President
                                www.HalloweenProductions.com
                                www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                                www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                                www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Working...
                                X