Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could build a new building for a haunt it would...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could build a new building for a haunt it would...

After 7 seasons running one of our haunted houses under the stars we are finally going through the process to put it in a 5000' building. It will be sprinklered and fire protected with concreted. We are planning a low voltage and regular voltage ovethead grid and a central security system... if you could start from scratch... what would you do?
    Patrick Barberry
    www.legendsofthefog.com
    sigpic

Put in a legit subterranean tunnel system to use for all your haunted catacomb/ sewer/ mine shaft/ needs.

Comment

18' ceiling height for large set stuff, second floor stuff and an overhead observation catwalk. Add a covered queue line (or indoor), add another 1000sqft just for wardrobe and actor break/banquet and construction/storage area. Separate customer/staff restrooms with a shower, and a room with a comfortable bed and cable. But that's just me- and I'm crazy...
      How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

Originally posted by zombietoxin View Post
        18' ceiling height for large set stuff, second floor stuff and an overhead observation catwalk. Add a covered queue line (or indoor), add another 1000sqft just for wardrobe and actor break/banquet and construction/storage area. Separate customer/staff restrooms with a shower, and a room with a comfortable bed and cable. But that's just me- and I'm crazy...
        Yeah. That seems a lot more practical than a tunnel. I'd go with his answer instead.

Comment

Love that you're doing that! It's such a great thing to be able to control the building to your needs. Make sure to incorporate many emergency doors along the perimeter to make the Marshall happy!

The only luxury thing I would really like is a second floor balcony, to oversee the entire haunt (for theost part) that can double as an actor prep area with a private staircase hidden from the public for actors to go straight to their spots without being seen. Throw in a water line for a sink/bathroom and you're golden, us yourself up artists would LOVE easy access to water lol.

Best of luck with this endeavor, I hope you post pictures of your dream building in progress lol

Comment

Headaches from day 1!

A small airport across the street from our farm owns the air rights above the haunt, and the new building is on the edge of the flight path. We should be good for height restrictions but it looks like we're going to hit a ton of red tape before we can pull permits. December doesn't look good... we'll see what happens.

Patrick
            Patrick Barberry
            www.legendsofthefog.com
            sigpic

Comment

Go with a "big empty box" design. Metal siding with steel truss/support construction and metal roofing. Add a concrete floor. 17'-22' is a good height, but remember most buildings have some type of "pitch" to their roofs. I would add an additional square footage somewhere for costume/makeup and operations. I would also add covered queue line, but not inside/part of the building. What I would do is make a grave patch just outside the building and continue a part of the roof over this area. It wouldn't have to be enclosed, just an open area gravel area with a metal roof (from the building).

Also take into consideration your doors and hopefully add a 12'x12 roll up door...or two. Ventilation will also be a good requirement to put into place now rather than later.

-Tyler
              http://www.hauntdesignkit.com
              >Download free Google SketchUp collections made just for haunt owners and designers.

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HauntDesignKit

Comment

Don't forget parking. Having a state of the art awesome dedicated haunt building won't mean much without a good parking lot.
                Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

Luckily parking is one of our strong suits!

We are fortunate to run our haunt on a 100 acre parcel of our 800 acre farm. We have 25 acres of parking available beside the haunt. We get about 110 cars/acre during the day... Still working on filling the lot for the haunt.

I am meeting with my electrician tomorrow - We're looking to do an overhead grid of outlets on the ceiling, maybe some retractable cables if we need to have them.

Meeting with the low voltage guy tonight - thinking about a 16 channel DVR and Cameras that can get 720 resolution so we can use it for commercials and youtube footage. Anyone use a system like this?

Final wall height is 14', but there is an attic space in the truss for a catwalk.

We are going to incorporate the building behind our existing facade.
                  Patrick Barberry
                  www.legendsofthefog.com
                  sigpic

Comment

As stated above, the first thing that comes to mind is putting doors along the actual outside walls of the building. Saves you space for the actual haunt without the need for emergency exit corridors along the perimeter.
                    Bryce Ring
                    Co-owner/ Designer
                    Twisted Realms Haunted House

Comment

Originally posted by nightmareproductionz View Post
                      As stated above, the first thing that comes to mind is putting doors along the actual outside walls of the building. Saves you space for the actual haunt without the need for emergency exit corridors along the perimeter.
                      Do you think steel doors w/ push-bars? Or do regular turn knobs work? Initially I was looking at exit corridors until I realized how much space we were losing.
                      Patrick Barberry
                      www.legendsofthefog.com
                      sigpic

Comment

Push bars will make the fire marshal happier, easier to open in an emergency "RUNNN!.....crap hold on gotta turn this..." Versus "RUNNNNN!!!" *push* "RUNNNN!!!"

And steel everything makes your life MUCH easier.

With fire retardant wall panels and a steel building, our town says we don't need a sprinkler. Not saying that you should count on it, but it definitely makes people happier. Just do everything geared towards making building and fire the happiest people ever and you'll have a great working relationship with them for a long time.

Comment

^ Agreed. Definitely push bars. But yeah, ain't it crazy how much sq footage you save by eliminating emergency corridors?! It's great! Lucky you to get to think about all this and design in theory the "perfect haunt location".
                          Bryce Ring
                          Co-owner/ Designer
                          Twisted Realms Haunted House

Comment

The facade before the building...

With strict fire codes in MD we had to give the illusion that you were indoors. For the most part it works great, with the exception that everything gets wet when it rains and we have to strike it completely every season. This year we started building skids - basically sheds w/o roofs to bolt together to make our high detailed rooms. They are stored locally in the off-season. This is a pic of the facade. I think the height of the building will force us to create an extended roof line. The building will be hidden by the facade.
                            IMG_3427.JPG
                            Patrick Barberry
                            www.legendsofthefog.com
                            sigpic

Comment

doors

Panic hardware is a must. But expensive. Your Marshall might be friendly enough to let you get away with unlatched hinged doors but I doubt it. My Marshall is a pussy who got his ass beat a lot in school and no is taking it out on everybody. Cost me $6,000 in doors this year!
                              Joe Phillips
                              The Shallow Grave
                              Winter Haven FL
                              http://www.theshallowgrave.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X