Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you could build a new building for a haunt it would...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pre-fab rooms..

At the end of last season Planning and zoning made us tear down both of our houses because it was against zoning code... so we built pre-fab rooms in our workshop on skids, much like a prefab shed. Most are 12x16 and crack in half to 12x8s. They are connected by 4x8 paneled hallways with a skid-like floor to create the old wooden floor feel. It worked out great. It took us 1 week to set up the structure of the haunt, and 2 days to tear it down and pack it away. The pic on the right shows the skids stored in a neighbor's barn. This winter we are going to work on building new rooms on skids, and hopefully have the entire haunt built like this by next season. Anyone else do anything like this?
    20131114_105445.jpg20131114_130315.jpg20131114_160907.jpg
    Patrick Barberry
    www.legendsofthefog.com
    sigpic

Comment

Skid

That skid idea is cool. Could you put roofs on them to keep the sets dry, if they were under the code square footage... then space the rooms so they had to walk through a roofless corridor to get to the next room? I don't know, just curious.

Comment

I wish we could build permanent roofs on the buildings, then we wouldn't need the overall roof. We just simply couldn't provide the level of detail that we wanted in the house w/o building the skids. The rooms were tarped during the week, but they were off while we were open. We used chandeliers and downward focused overhead lighting to hide the fact they were in an open-air maze. We bought several of the LED Darklight Flicker controllers from fright props and they worked great with the LED strip lights we used. The best part about the skids is that they're all outfitted with pneumatics and led lighting - when we're ready to launch next year, they will be plug-and-play.
        Patrick Barberry
        www.legendsofthefog.com
        sigpic

Comment

Like that a lot.. you could actually put up a mini town very fast... very cool.

Comment

Agreed!

I like the idea to! How many square feet is that barn and how many rooms can you fit in it? I am thinking of switching to a out door haunt and this is one of the coolest ideas I have seen just worried about storage space. Thanx for sharing the pics awesome!

Comment

Overhead shots

Originally posted by son-of-sam View Post
              I like the idea to! How many square feet is that barn and how many rooms can you fit in it? I am thinking of switching to a out door haunt and this is one of the coolest ideas I have seen just worried about storage space. Thanx for sharing the pics awesome!
              http://legendsofthefog.zenfolio.com/...9932/e73491887 That is a quick link to some overhead shots for the maze all put together. As always, looks like sh*t with the lights on, but you get the picture. (just a disclaimer) We're not trying to sell our pics on Zenfolio.com it is just the best way to share our photographer's pictures with our actors or friends. The photographers upload their own album, then I give my actors a password to be able to download content... pretty cool if you're looking for a photo solution.

Son-of-sam - the barn that we store the skids in is 100x350. I wish we could haunt that one! The barn we want to build is just 50x100. Our maze shown in the pics is 60x65, then it goes to a short corn field trail through a few other buildings.
              Patrick Barberry
              www.legendsofthefog.com
              sigpic

Comment

I really like to the portable rooms on skids.
                Brilliant!
                sigpic
                PEACE, ADAM
                www.poisonprops.com

Comment

We used skids for years. But look at what can be done with skids....
                  goodplans-pallet-project-house-re-nest.jpgpalletpavillion-pallet-house-by-matthias-loebermann_2_bft5X_69.jpgpavilion-interior.jpg

Comment

A few more skid pics...

Then I'll get back on topic. My mom used to be an interior designer for a firm in Baltimore and has recently retired to work at the Fog. She is standing in our Kitchen which is all stick built and the doors are made from sanded ply. She has brought a cool distress style to the Manor. There is a pic of our bathroom under construction and one in action. Its a tight set so its hard to take pics. 4 shower stalls and 4 toilet stalls in a 12x16 room. The last stall opens to a winding craw space on another skid. The last shows our falling bookshelf incorporated into a skid which is our library. The library has vaulted ceilings w/ a chandailier w/ custom LED bulbs and two windows w/ tvs playing the silhouette zombies rubbing the glass form AtmosFear FX. LOTH_2013-90.jpg 20130409_132223.jpg20130614_121202.jpg20130815_093816.jpgLOTH_2013-57.jpg
                    Patrick Barberry
                    www.legendsofthefog.com
                    sigpic

Comment

Moving ahead

The holidays kept our project from progressing with the professionals and county officials working on real-world things. We finally got our meeting with local officials. They were very understanding about our situation regarding the need for an economical fire safety system. They are still going to require a permanent sprinkler system, designed and installed by professionals, but they are allowing us to use a commercial equivalent pump to drive the sprinkler system as opposed to a UL listed sprinkler pump (difference of cost 500% or more). Additionally the fire detection system to disable haunt controls and enable house lights/emergency lights to come up will be limited to OS mushroom buttons located near emergency exits. They will probably be protected by some type of plastic cover to avoid tampering. Overall we are very pleased with their comments, and are ready to move forward. We're working with our design pros now on room placements etc. We're hoping to have the building completed the first week in February...

Question for those who have big warehouse haunts... do you have a centralized power system for your 12 or 24v electronics? Or do you operate individual power supplies in each room? How do you account for voltage drop?

Thanks again to those who care to read. It is going to be an exciting year!
                      Patrick Barberry
                      www.legendsofthefog.com
                      sigpic

Comment

So we have about 7000 sq ft or so and use 4 - 480w pc power supplies to power our led lighting. As things worked out we ended up spreading their placement out, around the haunt, but now I wish they were all located in our controls room.

There is a voltage drop issue, but it's negligible. I can run around 50 or more on a single run without much issue- and I'm using BIG, 1-watt LEDs.

You might be surprised to know that we run them on the 5volt line, not the 12v- it's just a matter of the resistors you use.

We use 18ga 3 or 4 conductor cl- type wire. If you are patient and shop around a lot you can find really good pricing on 1000' spools- you'll need it- we use it for our audio too.

We carefully explained to our fire marshal what the wires were for and they had no issue letting us surface mount it without conduit.

Congrats on the new space!
                        How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

Construction begins!

CM---001---pad.jpg

We expanded the pad on Wednesday before snowmageddon dropped 10" of snow on the farm. The builders are moving in on Tuesday, and we should be under roof in a week! The building will sit just a few feet behind the facade (that's what you're looking at straight ahead) It looks like we will have a 4' catwalk all the way down the center of the truss pattern. You will enter the attic space by the stairs and the deck behind the facade.

More pics to come!
                          Patrick Barberry
                          www.legendsofthefog.com
                          sigpic

Comment

Way way way cool man! Can't wait to see more! Best of luck to you my friend!

Comment

I'm going to continue to post construction pics on here... they're not as cool as the Darkness' photos (or all the other cool reno pics everyone posts)... but if I'm wasting your time, you don't have to look.

Builders are moving in tomorrow - but first we had to push the ton of snow off of the pad we just built.

Untitled-1.jpg
                              Patrick Barberry
                              www.legendsofthefog.com
                              sigpic

Comment

by all means keep posting

You may not see them as cool but progress is progress and its always incredible to see something come together.

Comment

Working...
                                X