Giant slide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant slide?

My partner and I are in the midst of sorting out some "artistic differences" concerning our proposed haunt.

One thing he wants is to incorporating a giant, multi-story slide like they have in The Beast and Edge of Hell in Kansas City. I'm not sold on the idea, but that's for us to sort out.

My questions to you are: Where does one get a giant, multi-story slide and how much do they cost? Does anybody sell these or would it be strictly a DIY thing?

If you get parts from a playground supplier then you are less liable than making one DIY. There is another person in the blame chain. I would have a playground company design one for you.
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I believe the chutes used in KC were originally for conveying materials/boxes from upper floors to shipping/receiving(?). My brain is failing me as to what they would technically be called, but essentially a conveyor.... an awesome, badass sliding conveyor... they're so lucky....
      How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

My slide is a 36 inch heavy duty plastic culvert pipe. We had to be a bit creative to get a bend in it.
        Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

Check out this website:

http://www.smacnakc.com/index.php/gallery

Scroll down the page and you'll see the Edge of Hell slide...looks like it was custom made from sheet metal like a large air conditioning duct; but obviously stronger and better supported. haha.

Have you tried looking at that route? Having one custom made or even looking at water park supply companies for their enclosed slides.

Hope this helps.

-Tyler
          http://www.hauntdesignkit.com
          >Download free Google SketchUp collections made just for haunt owners and designers.

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HauntDesignKit

Comment

Originally posted by sean View Post
            My slide is a 36 inch heavy duty plastic culvert pipe. We had to be a bit creative to get a bend in it.
            We've been looking into large pipes for a slide and other things..any pics of yours ?

Comment

Originally posted by Blade-of-the-moon View Post
              We've been looking into large pipes for a slide and other things..any pics of yours ?
              I've been staying away from the haunt on purpose since we closed for the season. This will allow my dogs to get re-aquainted with me (wife too)
              I'll grab some pics this week and send em to ya
              Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

Thanks bud. You don't live at your haunt by now ? lol

Comment

here is a two story one I made out of sheet metal ,easy to make.

Comment

Slide Thought

Has anyone thought about checking into a waterslide company for a slide and just dont have the water... or maybe some kind of trash shoot with extra support.

Comment

We had one a few years back. Customer didn't follow instructions on going down and ended up breaking an ankle. (We also had a few complaints about a rough landing below.) The ankle ended up as an insurance claim that went to trial. Needless to say, we have not brought the slide back (our insurance specifically has that in the policy now).

I would be very cautious using something like that. Patrons come in all sizes. Large masses interacting with gravity doesn't always end well.
                      Chad Portenga
                      www.hauntedhall.com

Comment

Problems via it's very nature.

Warm air goes up, cold air falls. How high and how low are the top and bottom of the slide to be? Humidity condenses half way, can bring bodies to a quick halt, equalling no thrill, extra hazard as bodies may collide. Customers wear various footwear, how smooth or sticky are the bottoms of the shoes, will they be trying to stop themselves by putting their feet out? Snap! Ankle!
                        Small kids are afraid, Dad wants Jr. to ride on his lap. With the adult weight propelling jr., if the child puts his foot out because he is scared , snap! Leg. Will your employee at the top of the slide be attentive and trained enough to make the correct configuration always happen? Video cameras can keep people from going down before the bottom is clear, but someone still has to watch the camera.
                        You will need two people one to be at the top and one at the bottom of the slide to control "traffic". Some silly customers will want to climb back up the slide (just to see if they "can")= another collision posibilty.
                        I was told by a Company employee working for a slide company that she got to ride down a new slide first that was indoors and 4 stories down. She was wearing a pant suit outfit and the plastic (fiberglass?) slide painfully shocked her all the way down the slide fro the static electricity her clothes built up as she slid. They experimented, cut small holes all along an edge, they finally were forced to air condition and control the humidity too to ake it a nice experience.
                        She also told me about an outdoor slide that used a "corral" at the bottom fullof sponge balls. It was outdoors in a Park. Drug abusers would leave old needles in the sponge balls.
                        The ultimate bad and terrible event did also happen when a small child (3?) got killed in the sponges as adults came crashing down on top of him, as he was hiding under the sponges, which might not have happened if the three slides each had their own sponge corral instead of sharing just one 10 by 6? space?
                        The clothing people are wearing may slide them slower or faster, and much of today's clothing is WAY TOO FAST!
                        Black/blue nylon pants, Yoga pants, skin-tight shiney pants? Swet pants. Blue Jeans are the most reliable as far as being able to pre-judge how fast a customer's experience will turn out.
                        If you think you have enough run-off after the slide so they can coast to a nice stop, think again when considering these various types and speeds of pants. The fast pants can at least double the speed and then you need more run-off-slow-down area.
                        build a slow slide? Why bother? The customers will ask. Build a super fast slide and there will be numerous complaints about elbows, butts or worse...Ah! "Gravity" is so simple, and potentionally deadly.
                        Very heavy people will not be the fastest ones down a slide, because their weight is also pushing" down", which can slow them down. The fastest will be the 135 pounder who is skinny , less "Drag".
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                        X