No announcement yet.

BREAKING NEWS: MHC sold to Transworld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if I agree with that statement... I think the charm of what MHC does is produce the biggest haunt tours all those cheap seminars, all those parties, and events. Transworld doesn't know anything about putting haunt tours together, they don't know who what where on those haunts... Barry, Kelly and those guys know those haunts and have the relationship and they know what people will or won't do. I'm actually surprised they never moved the show once yet continue to find new haunts to tour that part is amazing btw. I think the haunt tours and all the fun stuff going on CHEAP is the main reason people go... can TW pull that off? I dont' think that is what they do its not their background.

Look at this Legendary Haunt Tour that hasn't taken off at all...they put all their marketing muscle into that and its more or less a flop. I hear 150 or so people attend that... is that a success I don't think so. I think TW should stay focused on growing the main show to include more pumpkin Halloween attractions, more amusement park vendors, renfairs, things of this nature not try to run even more events.

Just my two cents. My prediction is they will not do as good with it as the original owners without their help!

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
      I don't know if I agree with that statement... I think the charm of what MHC does is produce the biggest haunt tours all those cheap seminars, all those parties, and events. Transworld doesn't know anything about putting haunt tours together, they don't know who what where on those haunts... Barry, Kelly and those guys know those haunts and have the relationship and they know what people will or won't do. I'm actually surprised they never moved the show once yet continue to find new haunts to tour that part is amazing btw. I think the haunt tours and all the fun stuff going on CHEAP is the main reason people go... can TW pull that off? I dont' think that is what they do its not their background.

Look at this Legendary Haunt Tour that hasn't taken off at all...they put all their marketing muscle into that and its more or less a flop. I hear 150 or so people attend that... is that a success I don't think so. I think TW should stay focused on growing the main show to include more pumpkin Halloween attractions, more amusement park vendors, renfairs, things of this nature not try to run even more events.

Just my two cents. My prediction is they will not do as good with it as the original owners without their help!

Larry
      ^^
      Agreed...
      "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Malicious Studios
      www.maliciousstudios.com
      "HORROR FX THAT STICKS TO THE ROOF OF YOUR BRAIN !"
      http://www.myspace.com/maliciousstudios

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
        Honestly I have NO IDEA WHY Transworld bought this show it makes NO SENSE ... the only think I can come up with is that Transworld is concerned with what the Halloween retail show is doing with Hauntcon. Personally I think whatever Hauntcon is doing with the Retailers won't make any impact in the TW show ... but to me a lot of things don't make sense. I don't know why TW does this Legendary Haunt Tour that doesn't make any sense... then they did that horror convention in Florida that didn't make any sense, now buying MHC another one that doesn't make any sense. I will say that you can't say these guys aren't ALL IN with Haunted houses. LOL

From talking to Kelly from MHC he sounded happy to finally be able to get out from producing the show so he can focus on his haunted house and build up that business.

I think Kelly and his crew made the right decision to sell their show... if I had been in their shoes I would have done the exact same thing!

Now Kelly and their group can try to build up a premier haunted house in Columbus!

Larry
        I agree with Larry, that it would be great if there was ONE show, and EVERYONE attended. However for that to happen, it would need to be one show for EVERYONE. The Transworld show isn't currently that show, because it shuns actors, home haunters, etc. MWH isn't that show, because (according to Larry) it doesn't have the high-end buying/selling happening. So if you want to have EVERYONE come to one show, it needs to be a show for EVERYONE.
        Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

I'd like to add that booth costs also play into the whole "show for everyone" aspect of this discussion. Transworld obviously is not the show FOR everyone because booth costs are just too damned high. Myself for example, run a FREE website. Everything on our site is FREE. The money we make is minimal and literally only pays for the upkeep of the FREE website. So, even though we'd LOVE to have a booth at Transworld and we have Transworld attendees emailing us about being there...we just can't do it. We can attend the show as attendees but having a booth is way to costly for a FREE website.

...even MHC is pushing it when it comes to the finances of our site. So, what are we to do? There's a HUGE void in the industry for websites like ours to "get seen". I don't feel as if ANY show even looks at this need or considers our type of websites (online resources, podcasts, how-to sites, etc.etc.). Sad.

I wonder if anybody that runs the shows even looks at this?

-Tyler
          http://www.hauntdesignkit.com
          >Download free Google SketchUp collections made just for haunt owners and designers.

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HauntDesignKit

Comment

We attend both TW and MHC, and I attend each one for different reasons.

TW is for buying and seeing the latest and greatest in person. You have alot more selection with bigger names selling their wares.
            The seminars are ok, but priced to high IMO for what you can get.

MHC is where I go to the seminars. To rub elbows with your peers, meet new people and you are able to talk to vendors, haunt owners, and others more freely without the stress TW puts on them. The parties are good also.
            The haunt tours are better at MHC also.

If MHC stays relatively the same and the cost of seminars and other activities do not jump in price, we will continue to go.

Comment

Originally posted by EpicenterDesigns View Post
              We attend both TW and MHC, and I attend each one for different reasons.

TW is for buying and seeing the latest and greatest in person. You have alot more selection with bigger names selling their wares.
              The seminars are ok, but priced to high IMO for what you can get.

MHC is where I go to the seminars. To rub elbows with your peers, meet new people and you are able to talk to vendors, haunt owners, and others more freely without the stress TW puts on them. The parties are good also.
              The haunt tours are better at MHC also.

If MHC stays relatively the same and the cost of seminars and other activities do not jump in price, we will continue to go.
              Agree with this. I go to both. I go for different reasons. I do really like the seminars at MHC. I like that they encourage you to move in and out of them if they aren't what you want. I spend most of my time in there instead of the sales floor.

Comment

Transworld has to figure out a way to make money on this show the old fashion way... vendors aren't just lined up around the block to display at this show paying tons of money. Seminars no matter who you get to speak won't change what people are willing to pay and the haunt tours well those better be as good or better than it was before... I just can't personally see this being TW cup of tea. This show was produced from a heart of passion for doing it, money was secondary. I'm doubting this will last ... its one of those things I'll believe it when I see it!

I'll say again I would have rather seen these guys really buckle down on the main show to grow that event not spread their limited time across several things. I think its a mistake.

Larry
                Larry Kirchner
                President

Comment

Jenny is here at iaapa talking about Mhc to whomever wants to discuss it. Tonight they are hosting a free dinner and drinks for everyone here at iaapa. She talked to me a bit about it she mainly said they want it to be a cash and carry show whereas St. Louis they don't. Soo.....

she he was reading all the comments on here and said she was expecting some peoples reaction would be negative it kind of goes with the territory. So come up and ask her about she's here. Larry
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President

Comment

BTW, when I talked to Jenny about buying MHC she said she wants MHC to be a cash and carry show, while the show in St Louis will not be. She stated they are not expecting because they bought a bunch of the bigger vendors to buy booths or anything... I basically took out of the conversation that it will mainly stay as is and focus on getting vendors who want to sell product on the spot.

So I think the focus on MHC going forward is that TW will try to find vendors who will bring product to the show to sell it on the spot and keep most of the other things the same. They will head up the seminars themselves I'm guessing and don't 'know if they will changing any of the pricing.

We'll see.

She did kind of get on me a bit because of some of the comments made on here by me and others... I told her I thought people said what you should have expected the minute you bought the thing. She didn't disagree.

Its a wait and see what happens kind of thing.

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President

Comment

Working...
                    X