Lights Out Tours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights Out Tours

I run an amateur haunt. As such, I don't get a chance to go out and see the professional haunts in the area.

This year, though, I made an effort to find dates on which my haunt was closed, and the area's professional haunts were open.

Tonight, one of the professional haunts in the area was having a "lights out tour" where you are given a glow stick and go through the haunt with all of the lights out, but with the props and actors still doing their thing.

I gotta say, I'm not a fan.

It may be because I run a haunt myself and I wanted to see props and scenes and effects, but I couldn't appreciate the decorations, props, settings, makeup, or anything else because I couldn't see anything. It was a bit unnerving bumping into things and having the actors scream in my ear, but it wasn't scary or impressive.

Do any of you do these lights out tours? What do you see as the draw? I'm guessing it's targeted more to the crowd that just likes to be scared as opposed to seeing a show.

Opinions?
    Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
    http://frightinfalcon.com

I don't like them. They don't bring a crowd. $20 says when you went tonight it was almost dead lol.

And screaming in someone's ear just isn't scary either lol

Comment

I went to a 'lights out' event on November 1st at a fairly large haunt in SC. While the creepy factor was certainly ramped up, it was a bit disconcerting not being able to see the cool props and set designs. I had not been to this particular haunt during the regular season and I had always heard good things about it regarding their attention to detail. Thankfully, there was no screaming in our ears.

And for the record, the place was packed for it being the day after Halloween. I don't know if they consistently draw crowds for their lights out events but there were certainly a lot of folks there.
      http://www.bigscaryshow.com
      http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

We did it for Halloween and had a pretty response, we are in a small market and most haunts are dated so it was a fresh idea in our market.
        My actors liked that could freestyle so to speak with their scares and the customers I talked to said it was more of rush trying to find the way out than zombie shooting which is way over done here...

Comment

I think any decent actor would enjoy this type of haunt. There are always those that whine and complain but if I were acting the darkness would be much more fun, and allows you to mess with people a little more. It should be a neat little difference than the normal show and make things fresh the last few nights and bring people back.

DA

Comment

This has become VERY popular and profitable. I'll give you an example... the last night we opened we did Lemp as a blackout and Darkness normal. For the first time EVER Lemp beat Darkness.

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by tommy g
              i never thought an actors opinion was a whine or complaining ..yes these tours are becoming popular,but if it take the darkness for you to get the scare you must not be doing a got job anyway..
              Didn't you complain about people shining lights in your eyes? I'm just saying if you're good none of that stuff would stop you from getting great scares. It's just excuses. When I did my home haunt we sent them running out!

DA

Comment

Lemp Brewery

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
                For the first time EVER Lemp beat Darkness.

Larry
                If ever there was the perfect location for a haunt, it would be Lemp brewery.
                I'm glad to hear about that success.
                I've heard there are changes coming for Lemp, but I don't know the extent of those changes.
                Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
                http://frightinfalcon.com

Comment

I've been to it and it was done quite well!

DA

Comment

Originally posted by tommy g
                    no i did not complain..i replied to the lights out post from an actor or actors stand point...what i said was i did not care for it meaning lights out because of the flash lights in our eyes.....you cant please everyone everywhere...im sure you did a good job scaring the neighborhood kids with your home haunt..next time its dark out try running through the woods with a led flashlight in your eyes ..let me know how many tree you hit.
                    I thought you said it wasn't complete darkness? Full of contradictions tommy lol

DA

Comment

Just because someone does a black out night doesn't mean they are not doing a good job scaring otherwise... its a special event and customers love it. Most of the people who came to the black out night came for a second time meaning they had already been during the year.

It worked great people loved it!

Larry
                      Larry Kirchner
                      President
                      www.HalloweenProductions.com
                      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

We do two nights similar to a Lights Outs and our customers LOVE it. We limit the number of tickets so that we can be sure to send in smaller groups, so we sell 360 for each night and sold out both nights, with people emailing us up to and through the event trying to get tickets.

We had a couple people complain that they couldnt see anything, but we post EVERYWHERE that its complete darkness when you buy your tickets. Some people just refuse to pay attention. But overall, excellent event.

Comment

Working...
                        X