Reversing the order of people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reversing the order of people

Today I came up with a concept that I am sure someone has stumbled on before. But in case your unfamiliar, here is a clever way to reverse the order of a train of people:

-Snaking through your haunt is (for example) 6 people, single file, and close as usual. They began their journey much like everyone else in a large group, placing the tough guys in front and the scare-d-cats in the middle or at the end. This group of people walk into a room that has a damaged wall leading into a crawl space. Inside the crawl space the leader can walk to the right or to the left. For this example the leader walks to the left and everyone follows. He leads them to a dead end where the entire group is forced to turn around and proceed in the opposite direction. This reverse puts the scared ones in the front of the line.

Now, this might be worthy to apply into your haunt in more than just one place and even in several places. Making people change position is another key to terrorizing everyone.

(I have a picture but this out-dated uploading program will not allow me to post it)
    RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Download part 1 of Andrew's Black Book of ideas for haunts here:
    http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=EGQDK8HZ

Originally posted by imagineer View Post
    Today I came up with a concept that I am sure someone has stumbled on before. But in case your unfamiliar, here is a clever way to reverse the order of a train of people:

-Snaking through your haunt is (for example) 6 people, single file, and close as usual. They began their journey much like everyone else in a large group, placing the tough guys in front and the scare-d-cats in the middle or at the end. This group of people walk into a room that has a damaged wall leading into a crawl space. Inside the crawl space the leader can walk to the right or to the left. For this example the leader walks to the left and everyone follows. He leads them to a dead end where the entire group is forced to turn around and proceed in the opposite direction. This reverse puts the scared ones in the front of the line.

Now, this might be worthy to apply into your haunt in more than just one place and even in several places. Making people change position is another key to terrorizing everyone.

(I have a picture but this out-dated uploading program will not allow me to post it)
    What if the leader were to go right instead and went the right way?

Comment

That's why I included a picture that can't be uploaded.
      If the leader was to go to the right (the right is the next room of the haunt) then later on in the haunt another situation would occur where people would need to choose where to go. This time the right would be a dead end used to turn people around.

I wouldn't recommend many of these in a haunt as clogging is always a problem. But I would say to at least try two passages that dead end.

Remember this is an idea I had, and not something I have done yet.
      RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Comment

It looks like the pic loader is fixed
        20131111_194351 (1).jpg
        RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Comment

Fire issue

The only issue I could see with this (besides the 50/50 chance they take the correct path and stay in order) is some places (states, towns?) strictly forbid dead ends in haunts. Not to mention from personal experience it would cause groups to bump into each other and then a group of six becomes a group of 12 with 2/3rds of the people getting a minimal scare at best. If this was an isolated section of the haunt that was strictly monitored (so many in at a time) then I could see this working. What I would suggest would be a room with a empty door across from the entrance. As they walk in, an actor would wait until they are partway into the room and then pop out into the doorway and yell at them to leave (insert scary acting here), have a false wall open up/block the original entrance. Wouldn't totally prevent the "tough" from taking the lead again but if done right would at least get the caboose to have to take point for a brief bit. Just my two cents.

Comment

Your suggestions are great! From the haunts that I have seen there have been mazes built from cages, pallets, sheets, mirrors and even complete blackness. These, and any maze, all suffer back-ups and clogging.

Perhaps if the trap area was to only hold 4 or five people snugly before they need to turn around? This makes sure that the clogging never gets too great.

I like the idea of having an actor there to make sure paths remain flowing. They would need to be aware of how many people are at the haunt. I mean if they know that only 25 people are in line then let people get clogged to give them a longer experience. When more people are there, there is a greater chance of clogging.

I also like the idea of a false wall opening up. If I understand your suggestion, once the people walked into the dead end, instead of giving them a chance to turn around, a false wall opens to let them continue on and not causing and back-ups. -I like this idea given the people end up on the same path either way they go.

The idea is to get people out of their security (single) file. Anyway we can do that is a good thing.

Anyone find it weird that in every passage you need an exit sign (in most areas) but you never see one in a mirror maze...nor will you. If you do, it won;t be just one.
            RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Comment

Reversing the order....

That strikes me as a very efficient way to destabilise the group.

I really like the dead end reverse idea. Thank you.

Is there a way to do this really early? (Reorganise the group I mean?)

How about an actor marching through the line / group about to go in, breaking people up, then hitting them with a scare gun (shot in the dark? I'm new here) and then running them into a claustrophobia effect? Creates a reordered line?

The most scared will run first?

They will settle back in the hallways (hardest first) and then you mangle them with the 'dead end reverse'.

I like this too much.

Comment

Working...
              X