What audio sources are you using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What audio sources are you using?

I am writing a proposal for new audio for the professional haunt that I help out with and I am looking for ideas on audio sources. I have a few specific requirements for the sources though.

They run off SD card or USB stick.
    They must have built in amp (min 25W x 2 prefer 40w x 2) or be cheap enough that powered speakers becomes viable
    Must start automatically when powered and loop.
    Would prefer to start over at beginning of card when powered, but if it goes back to where it was that is alright also.
    Must sound good!
    Normal audio lengths will be around 20 - 45 min loops.

I would prefer something that has triggered inputs but that is a very low priority.

I am currently looking at the Gilderfluke SD-25 on the high end and on the low end these amps from Deal Extreme.

I am pretty sure the ones from Deal Extreme will work for what I need but I am just not sure about their reliability and flexibility. Of course these are so cheap I could probably get away with replacing them often if need but I would rather not have to worry about it!

So what I am looking for from everyone here are suggestions on what you use for your haunts? And remember a picture is worth a thousand words! Also anyone who has used the second item I linked to please let me know what you think.

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by morte615; 11-19-2013, 01:44 PM.

AP-16 from EFX-TEK http://www.efx-tek.com/topics/ap-16.html I have 36 of these running seperate audio to 72 speakers in my haunt. Every animatronic I build uses these. It has dual 20w outputs, so slightly under what your looking for, but runs on SD cards, has trigger inputs, and is very controllable.

ap-16 efx-tek wall.jpg

If you don't need powered outputs, http://www.hauntbots.com/index.php?m...b2f776db0fee94 the MP3 player from Hauntbots is great as well. I have used these in several projects.
    Brian Warner
    Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
    Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
    Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

I have seen these before and was another option I was looking at. Do you use them in each room or do you have an overall ambient system? Right now we have 4 sources that run through our ambient sound (for the emergency broadcast when needed) and then most rooms have some type of local source (mostly boom boxes or older stereos)
      What I am hoping to do, and I am going to propose both versions, is to replace the 4 ambient system with a 6 ambient system and drop about half the rooms to just the ambient music and whatever noise the props and effects make. Or the second option is to take the ambient system down to 2 or 3 and use it only for the emergency system (and our que line which is outside but has to be run through the emergency system so our line people know if something happened.) And then start to replace the individual room audio with a stereo source. Or rather have each room off one side of the stereo (mono per room, left channel one room, right channel the next room) Maybe if I can get stuff cheap enough I would prefer to place each room with a system.

One thing I would like, and is why I want triggable versions, is to have the ambient systems running one sound track then if our emergency system is triggered it would use a trigger input on the boards and would then switch to another track to play our emergency announcement and loop that. Then when the E-Stop is pulled out it would switch back to normal loop.

Comment

I switched to all Gilderfluke SD 25 a couple years back, best move I made. I run several trailer haunts. We usually have to run on temp power. So everyday when you fire up the generator I don't have to run through the house turning sound on. Power on...they're on! Also good if there is an interruption again, auto-on.

One comment, you said you need a 20-30 minute audio loops?? Why? this is only necessary if your audience is listening to one continuous story or something. Sound in a scene needs only be a minute at the most. Even my all around sound which plays throughout the entire house is only a 2 minute loop.

I also use the SD 25 for all round sound. It is set to loop. It outputs to an 70v PA style amplifier so I can add as many speakers as necessary at what ever length needed. This system requires a transformer attached to each speaker to drop the voltage down. Simple to use, simple to set up.

What exactly are you using from Deal Extreme??
        R&J Productions
        Las Vegas, NV
        www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

From stereo to WavRunners

Ahhhh audio ...... my favorite nightmare!! I started with stereos and players because at the time that is all I had, but being an audio engineer, I knew this had to change. SO ...... for the outside, I am using a Yamaha 12 channel mixer with a Peavey SP2 cabinet. You can hear my outside tracks for a long way! The console has several inputs, so I can run HauntBot Wav Runners (My personal favorite) with the tracks and announcements, as well as an input for a wireless microphone (emergency announcements). I also have a stereo connected for the afternoon kids games. All inputs run independently of one another, so I can also run separate speakers for each input if I want to (next year).

Inside, I have audio zones with Wav Runners (both triggered and non-triggered) connecting to amplified speakers. They are awesome. They work every time, and all I have to do is turn on the power. Instant audio! I even run these little guys on my tram where I have a car amplifier installed in a weather proof box on the tongue of the tram, and two Wav Runners (ambient and one triggered for safety instructions).

My grand plan is to run a snake into the haunt from my production trailer outside, and run all of my audio from the production trailer off my console. I could run it from inside but I prefer having production outside (my haunt layout is different than most).
          Travis "Big T" Russell
          President
          Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Well apparently it depends on your luck as to the price- I bought 7 of these for our ambient audio zones from B&H Photo in 2011 for $67.00 each and that included free shipping. They do everything you listed, minus the trigger.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...iver_with.html

3 plus years with no issues. The only down side is that the volume controls are digital and not potentiometers- meaning when you turn them off, the volume levels reset to near zero. We solved that by making marks on the dials to quickly set them each night. All seven are set in less than 30 seconds.

We use 2gb usb sticks you can find for around $5 to playback from and they hold hours of audio each.

Look around- I bet you find them under $100 somewhere right now.

I also use something like the $20 players you mentioned for spot ambient- I wouldn't say the sound quality is super-duper, but certainly "haunt quality". The key is the power supply! You need at least a 5 amp supply to drive them to their fullest extent and that will also cut down on distortion issues in playback.

Haunting on a budget...

Good luck!
            How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

Bare minimum

I bought these for every scene in my outdoor haunt: Lepai LP-A68 Digital 2 x 15W Amplifier with Remote/USB/MP3/SD/FM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And these speakers: PYLE PLMR24 3.5-Inch 200 Watt 3-Way Weather Proof Mini Box Speaker System (White)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So it was only $50 per scene for independant sound system capable of auto-starting when I turned on the generators. It was more than satisfactory for our needs. I've never been much of a high end stereo system type of music listener though. I guess I have low budget ear drums.

Comment

Working...
              X