Expectation let down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expectation let down

Took a recent trip to Gatlenburg TN and made plans to visit a haunt that I was sure would be a great place to see how one of the bigger haunts looked and felt compared to the local one I help at each year, Ripleys haunted adventure. I was just sure that they'd have tons of cutting edge effects and stuff that us smaller haunts just can't afford on our budgets. The outside looked great and there were a few things like the large freight lift at the entrance and one big monster but for the most part it was no better than what we've been doing for years. They had a room of body bags, one with correngated drain pipes a squeeze hall, vortex tunnel and some air cannons. I guess I just figured that they'd have more elaborate sets and stuff, but I was really disappointed with the haunt. I guess we 're not as far behind as I thought we were. I mean, some of our rooms can be a bit cheesy but a lot of theirs were empty dark halls that you have to feel your way through.
    Why do we let ourselves feel like we're not as good as some of our competition sometimes?
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Most tourist towns haunts are NOT very good trust me I've been to almost all of them and I'm still trying to remember one good one... the Ripley's haunts aren't bad not great but at least they put money into them. Most tourist haunts are about a facade nothing inside. Does anyone have a list of good tourist town haunts? Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

We went through it a few months after it opened and then again last month. I noticed a big change. The first time there were lots more animatronics and props. When we went last month it seemed like as things broke they either removed them or just turned off the lights in that area. The fist time we went they had only been opened a few months and there was already one of the larger animatronics that had broken to the point that it was falling apart.
      Did you go to Mysterious Mansion? It is still a tourist town haunt but I have always enjoyed it more than the Ripley haunt. The front façade is very impressive. It is a huge spooky mansion and they have it lit perfectly at night. It is worth the long walk to get to it just to see what it looks like at night even if you skip going inside.

Comment

Originally posted by dawn408 View Post
        We went through it a few months after it opened and then again last month. I noticed a big change. The first time there were lots more animatronics and props. When we went last month it seemed like as things broke they either removed them or just turned off the lights in that area. The fist time we went they had only been opened a few months and there was already one of the larger animatronics that had broken to the point that it was falling apart.
        Did you go to Mysterious Mansion? It is still a tourist town haunt but I have always enjoyed it more than the Ripley haunt. The front façade is very impressive. It is a huge spooky mansion and they have it lit perfectly at night. It is worth the long walk to get to it just to see what it looks like at night even if you skip going inside.
        Exactly what I was going to ask ! The Mysterious Mansion was a LOT more entertaining than Ripley's. They used one actor, but it was a lot more interactive, with plenty of detail that you got to see up close. I had essentially the same experience when I first went to Ripley's a few years ago. Way too much dark, actors mediocre..the props were static and not moving or just not visible. The best thing they had was the entrance and the Vortex Tunnel...we even told them we ran a haunt ourselves and to " do their worst " . I didn't feel it. The woman at the front ask us what we thought..she had a line but I told her " it was really too much dark " she said, yeah they were trying to fix that. Must be a lot harder than I thought to change a light bulb.

There is another new one in Pigeon Forge I think..near the Hollywood Wax Museum's new location. I haven't had time to check it out but it seemed like a castle or something with zombies ?

Comment

The new Pigeon Forge haunt is called Castle of Chaos. It's not really a haunt. You strap into a chair that moves in sync with a 3-d film. You also have a laser gun that you use to shoot at the monsters on the screen. It's more of a family attraction and not really scary but it s still very well done and we had a fun time.
          Pigeon Forge also has an attraction called The Tomb. Its a very interactive walk through but it's more of a game. You have to solve puzzles to get through the show and win the game. It takes about 30 minutes to go through. It's also a family attraction and not really scary but it was still fun.

The thing that disappoints me the most about the Ripley's haunt is that they took the cheap way out and just turn out the lights on things as they break. Of course no matter how well an animatronic is made it is going to eventually break down if its being set off hundreds of times a day 365 days a year. The issue is they have the cash available to have them fixed. Their other attractions are so well done and maintained that there is really no excuse for the haunt to have gotten in the condition that it is in now.

I agree that Mysterious Mansion is well done to be a tourist haunt. They seem to be able to keep things looking good and in working condition. Their chandelier overlook scene is something that will scare you no matter how long you have been a haunter. I have never seen anything like it done before. I won't spoil the scare but it still frightens me and I know what is going to happen.

Comment

We didn't get a chance to go to Mystery Mansion, now I wish would have, but we were limited on time and funds, so we just chose to do Ripley's. We had done the Castle of Chaos the night before and had a good time. The experience could have lasted a bit longer but it was very interesting and we'll put together. Seemed like you were in a giant video game with some real life effects.

Overall I'm glad we were able to visit all that we did. I'm just going to chalk it all up to education, if you don't get out an see what's out there then you'll never who's doing what. At least now I have a few more haunts to compare ideas against.
            Chris Riehl
            Sales@spookyfinder.com
            (586)209-6935
            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Working...
            X