Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question; Krampus or not? Who's Krampus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question; Krampus or not? Who's Krampus?

We’re finalizing plans for our December Haunt at the ScareAtorium; An Xmas Nightmare. One of my actors wants to create a Krampus character (apparently he’s popular in Europe). I wasn’t familiar with Krampus, so I did a little research. Krampus is the dark companion of St. Nicholas, he punishes bad children. He can be sort of a devilish character; although I’ve also seen pictures of him that resemble an Abominable snowman/Goat man type character too. Has anyone ever used this character at your haunt? Any repercussions?

I won’t depict Satan or the devil at our haunt during the season and don’t want any problems with a character who’s considered devilish during December either. Just looking for some feedback before I give my crew approval to proceed with their idea. Thanks in advance for your comments,

Kelly Collins
    The ScareAtorium
    Columbus, Ohio

We have used Krampus for many years. We often have them roaming the parking lot in packs, wearing noisy cowbells. Fun and different characters, sort of a "smart ogre" in archtype. There are tons of inspiring videos from europe on youtube of the krampus parades - amazing stuff. When I went to Austria a few years ago I brought back actual Austrian Cowbells and sticks to add to the whip bundles. We have also collected some carved Krampus masks and a goat skinned costume for our museum. Allan Hopps is an expert on this and taught an excellent class on Krampus at last years Halloween Extreme, and he also makes Krampus masks and costumes. We are in the south and I haven't had any complaints about them being Satanic. All the Gargoyles we do look a lot more devilish - I say do it... It is a cool tradition that is starting to take root... We can always use more monsters! Look through #netherworld on instagram to see a lot of ours in photos, and look at our lot videos as well. Also I think we have some greenscreen shots of some krampus like guys on the NETHERWORLD Thread here on Hauntworld including our Krampus Queen.

Thanks!
    Ben Armstrong
    NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
    www.Fearworld.com
    www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

Here is a like to some Krampus like characters we did (not our full furry krampus) and the Krampus queen.

http://forum.hauntworld.com/showthre...d-House/page13
      Ben Armstrong
      NETHERWORLD HAUNTED HOUSE
      www.Fearworld.com
      www.NetherworldNetwork.com

Comment

I Love Krampus!

Krampus is fantastic. Allen Hopps is a great resource for all things Krampus. There is a group page on Facebook dedicated to Krampus. Check it out

https://www.facebook.com/krampussociety
        Last edited by DynomiteDaniel; 12-01-2013, 02:34 PM.
        Dan's Haunted House
        Fear IS In Everything!

Comment

Krampus is great because of the folklore behind it. But also, since it has some variation in style you can go several different directions with the same concept. SO, you could have several different krampus.

On the Christmas Nightmare front. We did something awesome for a customer last week
          We created a giant rotten reindeer head with christmas lights in the antlers and a lighted nose.
          It was hilarious.
          I think that customer frequents this board so if he wants to share what that event is I will leave that up to him.
          but I will say it was pretty crazy looking.
          Kevin R. Alvey
          info at gore-galore.com
          www.gore-galore.com
          www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
          www.youtube.com/goregalore13
          www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

Krampus is awesome and tons of fun. I have never heard anything along the lines of a complaint about him- he is simply the Christmas demon. It is a very cool tradition and concept and I think you will see and hear more and more about him in the next few years.
            Here is how I make my costumes...
            Allen H
            https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...QYrtzfE5Q-iuJm
            www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
            http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Isn't Krampus suppose to be a Christmas bad guy... like the opposite of Santa Claus?

Larry
              Larry Kirchner
              President
              www.HalloweenProductions.com
              www.BlacklightAttractions.com
              www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
              www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Yes, he is a Christmas demon. He steals naughty children and takes them away. They come before Santa so only good children get presents from santa.
                www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

IF someone was going to open for Christmas this would be a great theme to build around... but I think a haunt could have a Krampus theme for a whole haunt season. I've actually considered multiple times doing a CHRISTMAS theme to my haunts mansion section... I came up with all kinds of crazy, sick and twisted idea's. But adding Krampus as the main character would kind of put it over the top.

Just think of all the crazy marketing, maybe negative turn to positive PR, if you just wiped out the whole idea of Christmas by doing a theme like this... I've been tempted so many times I can't even mention.

This thread just revived my interest.

A killer santa serial killer, people impaled on candy cans, electrocuted by Christmas lights, heads baking in the oven, get some little people to run around as killer elves, kids slaughtered while dreaming of sugar plums, dead bodies wrapped under the tree, a killer reindeer impaling people with their horns, an evil mrs clause and top it all off with Krampus stealing little kids with some kind of fire pit hell scene filled with coal. Who knows.

I bet you'd get a lot of attention!

Larry
                  bertmer-krampus.jpgkrampus1.jpgkrampus-2011-9.jpgth.jpg
                  Larry Kirchner
                  President
                  www.HalloweenProductions.com
                  www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                  www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                  www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

We’re going to add Krampus to our cast of characters. We’re going to keep Scary Claws as our main character this year and gauge the customers responses to both characters. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I appreciate the help!!! This will be our first time to open outside of the Oct haunt season. Not sure what to expect. Right now planning to open Dec 13 & 14. We have two radio stations on board for a major promotion.

Then we’ll make plans for an after Christmas haunt on the 26, 27 & 28. Even considering opening on New Years Eve from 7:30 to 11. Then closing and holding a NYE party for our actors.

Got to get through next weekend first then work through the after Christmas details.

2013 SAT HorrorDays - Copy.jpg

Kelly Collins
                    The ScareAtorium

Comment

Working...
                    X