Finding actors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding actors

What methods have you guys found most successful in finding new volunteers for your attraction? We haven't reached the attendance to support being anything other than a purely charitable attraction as of yet, as paying a team of 75 just isn't feasible....so...thoughts? Suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Follow up question:

What ways do you train your actors? I bought a couple DVDs from guys like Allen and have done research. Our actors are always raved about more than our expensive props and neat sets. I get to start buildout in February, and will have the best sets I've ever made, but What can we do to the sets to help make the actors better? I know this is a lot to ask but heck I'm sure a lot of us can benefit from this convo lol

Comment

Practical experience is always the best training in my opinion. Our training is simple and effective:

Sit all the actors down in a room and go over the rules, guidelines, etc. of acting in the haunt.
      Get them all into "some" makeup and costume and have a dress rehearsal.

Invite out 20 or so of your family/friends and get them into 4 groups of 5 (or something like that) and keep cycling them through the haunt for an hour or so (you and your other managers, etc. going through as well giving pointers as you go).

Works really well to get them experience before they go live to the public. Especially if they're new.
      Bryce Ring
      Co-owner/ Designer
      Twisted Realms Haunted House

Comment

Finding actors... I've learned the best way possible. I'm sure the overall best way is to keep the ones you had last year wanting to come back year after year. Outside of that finding new ones... piece of cake.

You can do the whole craigslist I know that works for many but here is what I do... I buy overnight commercials on the radio about a whole month before I open talking about how they are going to be the best haunts ever, blah, blah and we are hiring actors go to www.scarefest.com fill out an application. Typically we get about 2000 applications and about well this year anyway 500 or so people showed up wanting a job.

You kill two birds with ONE stone... you market your haunt, your website and that we are trying to hire the best actors monsters out there.

Win win win ... the key is you must have a program on your website that allows people to fill out applications. FYI... overnights on radio stations can cost as little as 1 to 5 dollars. You can buy a 1000 of them on various stations for only a few thousand bucks but the main key is you are promoting your haunt ahead of everyone else. The other main key is you must get your website in tip top shape in July.

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

That's actually really interesting Larry, I would've never thought of that, we are volunteer run but we have an application to join on our site already so I'm sure we can get the station to put together a commercial.

I'm surprised this hasn't been a busier topic of conversation, but I'll be using your way this year Larry!

Comment

I'm here to offer idea's that is the only reason I'm here. It would be nice to have more people around to offer idea's but you'll have to deal with the people who are willing to offer them. LOL

Good luck!

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

The radio spot idea is a good one, plus the folks that are listening to the radio at 3am are probably the ones you want working your haunt!

What about good old fashioned boots on the ground recruiting? Going to the mall or public event, etc. with a stack of business cards or flyers. Hitting up each store and keeping your eye out for employees (and customers) that catch your eye with great customer service, outgoing personality, or a certain "look." Giving them a little pitch about the haunt and asking if that's something they would be interested in, leaving them with a business card or flyer. I've had good success with this in other business ventures, seems like it would translate well to the haunt universe. It's something I am going to try my first time out. Thoughts?
              - Michael

Mutant Mind Productions

info@mutantmindproductions.com

Comment

Also in regards to recruiting, some events I'll be hitting up are comic-book/gaming/scifi conventions (we have a lot of good ones up here in the NW), renaissance faires, etc. A good portion of those people are going to be in cosplay anyway and probably have the right attitude for haunting. Plus, cosplayers especially, are pretty crafty people. They might be able to help in other areas besides acting (costuming, building, etc.)
                - Michael

Mutant Mind Productions

info@mutantmindproductions.com

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
                  Win win win ... the key is you must have a program on your website that allows people to fill out applications. FYI... overnights on radio stations can cost as little as 1 to 5 dollars. You can buy a 1000 of them on various stations for only a few thousand bucks but the main key is you are promoting your haunt ahead of everyone else. The other main key is you must get your website in tip top shape in July.

Larry
                  Outstanding information.
                  Thanks.
                  Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
                  http://frightinfalcon.com

Comment

I thought this was a interesting TedTalk about starting a movement... which is in essence what you want to do. Have a look, it's only 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvr2_vVCwGA

The interesting part to me is that the movement really only starts with the first follower... not the leader. And that new followers emulate the old followers not the leader. What do you think?
                    Last edited by mrfoos; 12-11-2013, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X