Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Con is Best for a New Business?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering what everyone's opinion was regarding all the great conventions that run throughout the year.

We are a new business that is looking to open our first haunt for the 2014 season. Out of all the cons, which ones have the greatest return on investment. Obviously Transworld is the mecca for the industry, but is it too overwhelming for the newcomer? HauntCon looks really interesting, as it is really early in the year (more time to plan!) and offers a wide range of haunt tours, the Darkness tour looks amazing, but the thought of seeing a wide variety of haunts seems really helpful. I just don't see that many folks talking about HauntCon as opposed to Transworld, Mid West Con, et al.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought. I am leaning toward HauntCon due to the date and haunt tours. If I could, I would go to all of them, but it's just not in the budget.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to your replies!
    - Michael

Mutant Mind Productions

info@mutantmindproductions.com

Conventions

Well here is my 2 cents. I started in the industry 5 years ago. I knew NOTHING. I still know nothing. Anyway, I went to Transworld and it blew my mind. I didn't even know what to do or buy or ask. It is a blast and I go every year. But if you want my honest advice you might be better off going to one of the smaller ones to stàrt with. I think it keeps you a little more grounded. You can ( and I did and do ) spend a ton of money there.
    If you are just starting out, go to one where you can tour lots of haunts. See what others are doing. Unless you have a huge budget, learn to build the stuff on your own. I buy a lot of stuff that I just really like, but I also really enjoy learning to build and building my own stuff. Networking with others will get you those resources.
    Don't get me wrong, Transworld is Awesome!! But it is overwhelming for someone who is new to the industry. I have never been to Hauntcon but I might try and make it this year. I will be at Transworld and MHC.
    Good Luck!
    Buck
    Capt.Chaos
    Fear Asylum Haunted House
    Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

For me the two must attend cons are Midwest and Transworld.
      Phatman

Comment

Well, here is my .02 cents. You are right about not going to transworld. Don't get me wrong, I have been going for the last 5 or 6 years, but it is a buying show. Make plans to attend it in a year or two. The education seminars are expensive, some are good, some are not so good.
        HauntCon was my first show. Smaller floor, but I went for the same reason you speak of, the haunt tour. I will say that is the area Hauntcon shines. The pre-show tour, then daily ones, a mix of big and some smaller ones, you get to see what others are doing. The education programs are free, some very good, other so-so.
        Never been to mid-west so can't comment, but it is talked about here with good reviews. I hear parties are legendary. It was just bought by Transworld and have said it would not change.

(P.S., HauntCon is kinda passé here, some seem to not care much for Leonard, so don't expect much good to be said)

This is just my view, not everybody's. But then again, who am I and why would anybody listen.

Have a good time where ever you go,

Comment

I started off with a bang and risked a LOT of money going to TW my first year and just about broke even, nothing to write home about. I didn't attend any others because I intended on doing so under the assumption we did well enough at transworld to either afford to go to the others or to not have to go to the others.

If your products are reasonably priced, and are smaller cash and carry kinda items, stock up and go to Midwest, it's an actors market, more for fun, but if you carry affordable items, you'll do well. I intend on doing both this year.

Comment

It goes without saying Transworld because its the only place you'll see every vendor who is serious in one place... with exception of Unit 70 because they don't do tradeshows. You can go to MHC or any other and you won't see the vendors you'll see at Transworld. There is no better place to start than on top!

Secondly if it was me I would go to IAAPA and in a lot of ways its better than Transworld just depends on what you are looking for!

I don't do a lot of tradeshows I do Transworld and IAAPA only.

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I suggest MHC as it's a great con to network and get a good idea about the whole convention experience, but since you're based in Washington, you may want to check out the West Coast Haunters Convention in Portland, OR. It's smaller but should help you with local contacts.

http://www.westcoasthauntersconvention.com/
              http://www.bigscaryshow.com
              http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Let me add something... in the very first videos I ever made and onto the ones I'm still making I have and always will advocate that idea's aren't free in some way or another we all pay for them. Here on the forums we chat away and exchange idea's daily yes for free. But if you go to any event you pay to get there and its worth every penny no matter what event you attend. I believe traveling and yes spending some money to see other haunts is one of the best things you can do and these events like MHC or Hauntcon usually have a lot of haunts to tour... without a doubt if you can make these events you should go and while you there break out the check book see the tours and do the seminars even if 90% of them are terrible. All it takes is ONE great thing to hear, see, or experience to make the whole trip worth it!

So when I say the only two shows I go to are Transworld and IAAPA that doesn't mean you shouldn't go to any others... 110% not! I would love to go to MHC, Hauntcon and all the rest I personally am just to busy but in my younger days I traveled the country seeing haunts, bought anything I could get my hands on and I would have 110% seen all these events and shows.

To go to one of these shows and see that amount of haunts at one time is worth the trip alone! However if I'm you and I'm only doing ONE show you have to make it Transworld because you'll see the most stuff in one place at one time.

Larry
                Larry Kirchner
                President
                www.HalloweenProductions.com
                www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone! You have really given me a lot to chew on. Whichever it is going to be, I look forward to meeting you guys!
                  - Michael

Mutant Mind Productions

Comment

It really depends on what you're looking to get out of it to determine which one is best. Being new, I'd probably point you towards HAuNTcon or MHC, and this year especially HAuNTcon because it's early and would give you time to digest and apply things for the coming season. This is where you'd go if you're looking to learn through great (and affordable) education and haunt tours and to be exposed to some vendors. If you're looking to go and buy stuff for the haunt, then Transworld is the way to go. By far the best tradeshow and can be good just to see what's out there, but unless you have some money to spend I think you'd be better off at one of the others. Transworld does have education that runs about $45/class, which I can't personally comment on since I've never taken a class there, but I've heard it's hit or miss.

Anyways, you can't really go wrong as you'll certainly get something out of each one, but I'd just think about what you really are looking to get out of it and choose the one that will be the best investment.
                    Mike Quill
                    Fear Town Haunted House

Comment

Some Suggestions

I have attended Hauntcon, MHC, West Coast Haunters Convention, ScareLA, and Transworld in the last year. Depending on your budget and readiness to take the plunge what's best will vary. I notice that you are from Seattle which might impact your decsion based on cost.

Disclosure - I am associated with Hauntcon, WCHC and HauntX. I will be speaking at Transworld this year.

Hauntcon -January - Great haunt business education bang for the buck, It's always great to visit others haunts. In my experience the two-day preshow tour is always loaded with haunt owners. Lots of shop talk takes place between stops. And it is less than a month from now in Houston.

MHC - June - Great for networking, the education tends to be more actor training oriented, very strong haunt tours.

WCHC - May - More home haunter oriented and it has the merit of being the closest show to you. There will be plenty of technique related classes, some of the vendor presentations were very strong last year. The Davis Graveyard presentations are worth the price of admission alone. Given your location a good networking opportunity.

ScareLA - August? - Not a tradition haunt show more of a Halloween show. Vendor floor was good this year and from what I hear will be better next year.

Transworld - March - Many have commented about this show. I'll add, if you attend you should consider coming in early and attending the all-day class they put on. You get a wide range of topics of interest to haunt owners in 30 minute slices. The tradeshow is the largest by far.

HauntX - First year for this show in Reno next May. This show is working very hard to attact pro haunt owners and the emphasis of the education is practical application of haunt information. Most of the education is included in the price of admission. I'd suggest you keep an eye on this show to see how it shapes up. Because of the geography, low admission price, and inexpensive rooms this might be a good fit.

Comment

Originally posted by ScaryTinker View Post
                        I have attended Hauntcon, MHC, West Coast Haunters Convention, ScareLA, and Transworld in the last year. Depending on your budget and readiness to take the plunge what's best will vary. I notice that you are from Seattle which might impact your decsion based on cost.

Disclosure - I am associated with Hauntcon, WCHC and HauntX. I will be speaking at Transworld this year.

Hauntcon -January - Great haunt business education bang for the buck, It's always great to visit others haunts. In my experience the two-day preshow tour is always loaded with haunt owners. Lots of shop talk takes place between stops. And it is less than a month from now in Houston.

MHC - June - Great for networking, the education tends to be more actor training oriented, very strong haunt tours.

WCHC - May - More home haunter oriented and it has the merit of being the closest show to you. There will be plenty of technique related classes, some of the vendor presentations were very strong last year. The Davis Graveyard presentations are worth the price of admission alone. Given your location a good networking opportunity.

ScareLA - August? - Not a tradition haunt show more of a Halloween show. Vendor floor was good this year and from what I hear will be better next year.

Transworld - March - Many have commented about this show. I'll add, if you attend you should consider coming in early and attending the all-day class they put on. You get a wide range of topics of interest to haunt owners in 30 minute slices. The tradeshow is the largest by far.

HauntX - First year for this show in Reno next May. This show is working very hard to attact pro haunt owners and the emphasis of the education is practical application of haunt information. Most of the education is included in the price of admission. I'd suggest you keep an eye on this show to see how it shapes up. Because of the geography, low admission price, and inexpensive rooms this might be a good fit.
                        Great breakdown. I was not aware of HauntX, so thanks for the heads up on that. That's driving distance for me, so I'll definitely keep my eye out on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        - Michael

Mutant Mind Productions

Comment

Working...
                        X