Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Home Haunt! HELP!

Hello everyone!

My husband and I just bought our first home and he's been dying to go all out for years. Now that we can, how can I say no? We moved from out of state and we're not really sure how busy it gets around here, so we'd like to keep it small for the first year. We have a really small porch and entryway, but it leads right up a flight of stairs (it's a town home). We'd like to have the kids come all the way up to get the candy. He'd like to create a stone look for the walls, but we're not sure what the best method is. I've seen the scene setters online, and the graystone cardboard one, but I've been told that styro is the way to go. Considering that it's a whole flight of stairs, styro sounds like ALOT of labor. Which is the best way to go?

Also, whose skeletons look the best without spending a $100 each? I was thinking $50ish each. We're looking for something smaller, about a kid's height.

Thanks in advance!

never had any luck with stone walls sorry, but happy haunting

Comment

Re: First Home Haunt! HELP!

Hello Im a 4th Year home haunter and the best thing I tryed for walls is styro foam (Its ok to leave out if it rains and can take a better beating then cardboard) Yes it will take a little labor but it will be worth it. Skeletons about kid size can be found at Hauntingsupply.com for about $57.00.
      Originally posted by PirateQueen
      Hello everyone!

My husband and I just bought our first home and he's been dying to go all out for years. Now that we can, how can I say no? We moved from out of state and we're not really sure how busy it gets around here, so we'd like to keep it small for the first year. We have a really small porch and entryway, but it leads right up a flight of stairs (it's a town home). We'd like to have the kids come all the way up to get the candy. He'd like to create a stone look for the walls, but we're not sure what the best method is. I've seen the scene setters online, and the graystone cardboard one, but I've been told that styro is the way to go. Considering that it's a whole flight of stairs, styro sounds like ALOT of labor. Which is the best way to go?

Also, whose skeletons look the best without spending a $100 each? I was thinking $50ish each. We're looking for something smaller, about a kid's height.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

You can buy skeletons on ebay 33 1/2 in tall for less than 30 bucks delivered. As for styro i like it also and have used it for years.
        Co-Owner of The Cellar Of Terror in Groton NY

Comment

The main "Trickiness" of doing the stairs will be measuring and cutting the pieces as you proceed up the stairs, cutting the bottom at the correct angle for the stairs, and either cardboard or styro foam will have to get cut.
          A level and a square will help, but if you've never done such a thing before it might be better to begin trying it with posterboard first.
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Thanks for all your input!

After talking it over it looks like he really wants to go for the styro. I'm sure I'll be whining about how much work it is over the next few weeks, but I'm sure that it will look better than the shiny, plastic scene setters.

We are going to start this weekend. I've looked around a bit and I think I get the basic idea (carve foam, paint foam... pray it looks right), but I still can't figure out how to get it onto the walls. I'd appreciate any tips (and warnings) you've got.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi! Welcome to HW! Visit Hauntedhousesupplies.com

For helpful videos!

Comment

I found the best deal!
                http://www.cainindustries.com/default.asp
                Go here and get the best deals on the internet, in fact for the same amount of money you were planningto use you could make two more rooms from Cain Industries.
                Mike Cirrincione
                Executive Producer of:

M&K Workshop
                MAC Productions presents:
                Buffalo Badlands: Tinianna Home of The Tormentor *RIP*
                AND SOON, Pandora's Box!

Skyrotechnic Illuminations
                Pro Fireworks coming 2015

Cyber Saturday - a revolution in light and music
                Coming soon

Black Hole Shows: Buffalo

Comment

i started small,then a few yrs later i ended up with a haunt that took up my whole yard,and stood yr round.its more addictive than crack

Comment

Anatomical chart usually runs their 4th quality full-size skeletons on sale around Transworld time. Usually about $60. By far the best deal out there. Marilyn Lack is the person to talk to. Just give her the name of your haunt (make one up if you have to) and you will get dealer pricing. mlack@anatomical.com (800) 541-3344 x 7454

Comment

Hey PirateQueen,

I just noticed that you are in Oregon. You might want to consider joining Fright Fest NorthWest. It is a group for haunters that meets each summer for seminar, social events, and more. It also has its own listserve. If you are interested, check it out at http://www.halloweenfear.com/NWgathering.html

Tell them Dave sent you.

Dave
                      Lords of Chaos, LLC
                      House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

Comment

Originally posted by wipp
                        i started small,then a few yrs later i ended up with a haunt that took up my whole yard,and stood yr round.its more addictive than crack
                        wipp, I can't agree more! It's like you see this cool stuff and think you need one of everything! First the house is full of props, then the garage is packed, then the inlaws stop visiting because they think your wacky! Ha!
                        When it gets to the point when I have to decide between buying food to eat and buying props, then I'm going to rehab.
                        Do you have an insatiable appetite for Halloween? Are you intrigued, rather than disgusted with gore? If so, you must be ALittleFreaky too.

Comment

120 bricks laying in a muddy ditch.
                          They are mine!
                          Yes it takes time to pick them up, clean off the old mortar, load them in my truck, drive them home, unload them, stack them up.
                          Then I put them together to make a wall in my basement.
                          I'm not sure many others would want to work like this, but it goes together to make my haunted house more and more unique.
                          I live in my haunted house, it is a home haunt.
                          see it at : hauntedravensgrin.com
                          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

o yeah,on trash night people look at me real wierd.they must be thinking,why is this guy loading our 29 yr old rotten wooden fence in his van?that statues head was broken,whats he want with that?but anyway you were asking how to make walls that look real.the best way i found so far was buying a dvd from terror on the fox called styro masionary.also john denely has his artist show you how to paint wood like 3d walls if thats more what you want.on his dvd of set design from boneyard productions

Comment

Originally posted by badlander2000
                              I found the best deal!
                              http://www.cainindustries.com/default.asp
                              Go here and get the best deals on the internet, in fact for the same amount of money you were planningto use you could make two more rooms from Cain Industries.
                              WAIT WAIT WAIT. I found Cain Industries a looong time ago and was sooo ecstatic when i saw the prices. but then i thought that Cain Industries only sold wholesale to people who owned stores or businesses or who had a license to do so. Is that not true? Is it possible just to buy them without owning a business? If so, my life will be a million times easier hahaha.

Comment

Working...
                              X