Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extreme touching... new direction for the industry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right Larry! Going to "Bound" & Gagged "here!

First we give them too much cheese to snack upon, then we show them the picture they took of me when I was born. They will Gagg!
    (I looked like a monkey with a pointed head, "stick-like" arms and legs)
    The "Do Not Feed The Monkey" sign on my crib for that first year darn near killed me! I kept eating the sign!
    I disagree that to impress someone something has to be over-sized I'm not referring to actual body parts, or tall things.
    I seem to impress people with things often so microscopic that you can't even see it, even when they bunch up or stream in groups, they are called "Ideas", or "Concepts" if you will.
    Many of the most effective and unforgetable ideas never physically appear, they remain inside the brain being pondered, weighed, anticipated, "Is that truth or Fiction? Will it happen?
    And all of this usually happens as I talk to them, in a dark room inside an old spooky house, as I hold a small. dim, flashlight in my hand.

Recently a Father told me his Daughter said I was "The Master Of The Flashlight!". I had to think about this.. maybe it is how I can make the light look like the battey is going dead when it really is not?
    And we all know what happens when the flash light fails!!
    Or a part of of mind begins to think it does?
    There you go!
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

and what is the scariest thing?

What is that one unstoppable creature who often hides in plain sight, can summon up huge resources to do their bidding?
      There are called .."Human Beings".
      Which may explain how being touched by one in the dark, no matter if appropriate or not, will always be much scarier than any prop and may explain why some people absolutely go crazy when this happens to them, no matter how slight the touch or accidental.
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

We get a group of people every year who comes up to the ticket booth and is offering to pay more money so our actors could touch and cuss at them even say sexual words, kind of like a "anything goes" experience. They absolutely love it for some reason.
        ~Bill Mlinac
        The Deadland Haunted House
        www.facebook.com/Deadlandhauntedhouse
        www.Thedeadland.comsigpic

Comment

Touching, isn't it?

House of Shock features touching--I think no one here would deny that they're a haunted attraction.The Hoochie has touching. The Nightmare does it one night a year--as do other haunts. It can be, and is, done by your typical haunted attraction.

Now what some of these newer 'extreme haunts' do is a bit more. Some seem to be little more that patrons agreeing to a little light bondage in a horror situation.There's not a lot of 'haunt' fear that I see--there's actual fear because people are shoving, choking and even lightly hitting people. These people aren't scared of the monsters--they're scared of the people hurting them.

I've seen some where part of the 'action' is getting spit on--tip--if you do this, don't film it, there's not a lot of folks who really want to know that their 'effects' came out of someones possibly germ infested mouth(and the October flu is far too common in this industry, if you know what I mean).

It's a strange new world that has such things in it.

But back to touching in general.

I can't speak to every haunt, but the ones I know have cameras. Lots and lots of cameras. So if someone's groping, they're gonna get caught--but, what happens more usually is that the accuser is told about the cameras, and how the 'incident' was filmed, and suddenly, there's no incident. Suddenly the accuser goes from wronged hauntgoer to troublemaker.

How many of us, in no-touching haunts, have had a patron say that you touched them when you hadn't? Most of the time the line is spouted to get back at you for scaring them.

So yes, there's a place for touching in the haunt industry.

Comment

Jack if memory serves me correctly you seem to take sides on every negative issue effecting haunts .

DA

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
              Jack if memory serves me correctly you seem to take sides on every negative issue effecting haunts .

DA
              Really?

I see Jack making a valid, evidence-based and thoroughly qualified argument here. If you have a logical counterpoint that doesn't involve a personal attack, by all means, please share.

-Collin
              *Sigh*I can't wait til' October

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin King View Post
                Really?

I see Jack making a valid, evidence-based and thoroughly qualified argument here. If you have a logical counterpoint that doesn't involve a personal attack, by all means, please share.

-Collin
                Read the whole thread before you get involved.

DA

Comment

DA, negative?

How is having an opinion on touching negative?

How does it affect haunts negatively? HoS is one of the best in the country, they touch. The Hoochie touches. Both places are known from coast to coast. They're destination haunts. They get god press. Where's the negativity?

Why not respond to the post instead of going negative yourself?

At the Nightmare, on our 'extreme' night there's touching. There are specific guidelines laid down and only experienced actors are allowed to work. I tend to limit myself to hair, grabbing a wrist, and blocking a path momentarily. People get amazingly creeped out when you touch their hair.

But, as I said, some of the things I've seen in these newer severe touching haunts look like they cross a line, so I think there's a place for touching, but I think some people are going a bit far.

Comment

A couple more things...

1) Jim I'm coming to your haunted house this year. I have to experience this!!! FOR SURE! You'll have to let me know when is best to come. I'm coming up to Chicago for a baseball thing how far are you from there?

2) Extreme touching at the Darkness tour this year we'll get into more of that this time around. Our actors won't but our animations will! You guys who come to the tour will have to let me know PRO OR CON ... seriously let me know you thought it was too much, okay, over the top whatever. I want to know!

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President
                    www.HalloweenProductions.com
                    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

This definitely isn't "extreme" touching, but Eastern State Penitentiary advertises their post-Halloween "black out" haunt as a touch haunt. I went to it in November and they lightly grabbed my leg, arm, and would drag a foam weapon (or something) across my throat in a dark hallway. Customers seemed to love it. And Eastern State is about as reputable as they get.
                      Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Novus View Post
                        This definitely isn't "extreme" touching, but Eastern State Penitentiary advertises their post-Halloween "black out" haunt as a touch haunt. I went to it in November and they lightly grabbed my leg, arm, and would drag a foam weapon (or something) across my throat in a dark hallway. Customers seemed to love it. And Eastern State is about as reputable as they get.
                        Does ESP touch every night? Or just on the Blackout night? That's what inspired this entire post. (plus scarehouse's videos and a customer who turned me on to the blackout haunt in NYC).

I haven't been to the Darkness since the second year in St. Louis. Seems like there have been enough changes since I've been there to appreciate it again.
                        Patrick Barberry
                        www.legendsofthefog.com
                        sigpic

Comment

After thinking about the "prop touching" that Larry posted... does anyone else remember Necropolis from the bus tour (bus ride from hell) when you walked through the birth canal with the vibrating floor? That was one of the most memorable encounters with a prop I have ever had. That vibrator was wicked!
                          Patrick Barberry
                          www.legendsofthefog.com
                          sigpic

Comment

They absolutely love it for some reason...

Originally posted by Motograter View Post
                            We get a group of people every year who comes up to the ticket booth and is offering to pay more money so our actors could touch and cuss at them even say sexual words, kind of like a "anything goes" experience. They absolutely love it for some reason.

Adrenaline junkies.
                            Kathryn DeSautell
                            Lafitte's Landing, Dark Shadows Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by legendsofthefog View Post
                              Does ESP touch every night? Or just on the Blackout night?

I don't know that answer, unfortunately. If I see some Eastern Staters at Transworld I'll certainly ask.
                              Ryan

Comment

Who needs touching?

We don't need to grab people. They are so freaked out by the time they get inside, all we have to do is appear and they scream, piss, puke, or faint (yes, all of these things have happened in our haunt). The secret is to create a complete environment, from the time they get out of their cars, until the time they get back in their cars. That environment encompasses all the senses, and incorporates audio, lighting, set design, props, character development, and back story. If you do all of that, and you do it well, touching is not necessary!
                                Travis "Big T" Russell
                                President
                                Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Working...
                                X