Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make a After Effects Movie Trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a After Effects Movie Trailer?

I have been looking at some nice horror movie trailer openings etc. and especially Adobe After effects and was wondering how you can create your own trailers?

Excuse me in advance but I'm not sure exactly what you are asking... can you clarify?

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

HauntedDeadEnd,

I'm with Larry. I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. Are you asking someone to help you figure out how to use After Effects or to make something for you in After Effects? Speaking as someone who has some experience in Computer Animation, (visual fx) After Effects is a pretty cool program. It can do lots of interesting stuff if you know what you're doing.
      Lee D. Sanders

Comment

Let me clarify. I have just started to use imovie to make a basic trailer for a haunted theme. I have seen amazing things used with Adobe After Effects which I am starting to use I was wondering is after effects similar to imovie where you can create a trailer making your own creepy effects? I have seen templates but I was wondering if they are easy as a beginner to create on your own. imovie has its limitations Thanks

Comment

After Effects

HauntedDeadEnd,

I have never used iMovie. All my video work is done with professional software. I did open iMovie to see what you meant by templates and I found them. I'm laughing because those templates had to be produced with something like After Effects, Cinema 4D or 3d Studio Max. So the short answer is no. After Effects does not contain templates for a plug and play situation. It is used primarily to create visual effects, motion graphics, and compositing. It's also not good for editing. That much data can slow down the system. The idea here is that you create your movie from footage you shoot. You use an editing program like Final Cut to cut the raw footage together. If it needs an fx shot you take your clip or footage that needs the effects and open After Effects and build it there. Then export that final clip back into your edit. There are some people who have made After Effects templates that you can put in your own information as you like, but really, if you already know how to edit the templates in After Effects, why bother? Just make your own. If you just want a drop and play situation it would be better to continue to use iMovie or something like that.

I don't know what your skill level is but the effects in the program can be complicated. Something like a particle simulation has parameters that have to be adjusted like birth rate, death rate, gravity, velocity, turbulence, size, shape, etc, etc etc. It's not like you press a button and boom you have an instantaneous effect. You can't just make a lightsaber glow, it has to be rotoscoped (most tedious thing in the world) frame to frame. You can't generate a fireball (without a particle system) from nothing. You can't just add electricity to a shot without adjusting all the parameters to get it to animate and move. There are thousands of amazing things you can do with it but you have to know how to use it. Or at least be willing to learn.

If you truly want to learn the program try a tutorial site online. There are tons of sites you can get good instruction like Lynda.com. There are also free tutorials on youtube if you don't mind being taught by a 11 year old british kid. Seems like all the tutorials are done by kids. There are a few good ones but in general, you get what you pay for. Final option, you can do like I did and pay thousands of dollars to go to school and be taught by industry professionals.

Good luck!
          Last edited by Gahaunter; 02-11-2014, 01:45 PM.
          Lee D. Sanders

Comment

Not only what he said, but you need a pretty powerful computer as well in order to do 3D renders, particulate, etc.

Trust me when I say: Pay a professional. Or visit video copilot.net. Andrew has a great set of basic tutorials to get you on your way. But still, you need a powerful computer with 4+ cores, 3.5+gHZ processing, 16+GB of ram, and a display large enough to work in multiple compositions for the fastest work flow.

Pay a pro.

Comment

What Gahaunter and Aftershock said - pay a professional. I used to be a career counselor at a media arts college and it's truly one of those things where you get what you pay for. There are all sorts of services online that promise to offer you extremely cheap motion graphics, usually made by someone overseas, but in the end you'll probably find yourself finding a professional anyway. And then you're out two fees.

Plus, on the altruistic side of things (which is so important in this community), you're potentially helping launch someone's career. Find a competent and enthusiastic artist maybe right out of college and give them that first opportunity. As they say, the difference between an amateur and a professional is a dollar.

-Drew
              www.frightprops.com

[FrightProps Blog]
              [Google+] [YouTube]
              [Facebook] [Twitter] [Tumblr] [Pinterest]

sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X