Rent Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rent Space

We are looking into opening a haunted house this year and we are looking into short term lease or renting space; if anyone has experience or insight on this feel free to leave a comment or two. How to get the best deal, things we need to know and have when renting the space.

Many landlords dont want short term unfortunately. They'd rather take a loss on space for tax reasons then short term.

Comment

Originally posted by HauntedPaws View Post
      Many landlords dont want short term unfortunately. They'd rather take a loss on space for tax reasons then short term.
      Can someone please expand on this for me? I own an office building and have never been able to find a tax deduction for not renting an office out.

Comment

Wow, there is so much to consider. I don’t have the time to cover everything right now. You might look back at some of the previous posts on this topic; it has been covered before. Another possible location for information is on Linked-in with the group Haunt Topics.

Here’s a quick overview

You should consider attending one of the getting started in the industry seminars at a convention. Another alternative is to hire an experienced consultant. We’ve rented three buildings in the past 5 years. We finally got the business traffic up enough to justify signing a four year lease and we found a landlord willing to lease us a 40,000 sq ft building for a reasonable amount. We’re set up year round, but only open in October and one weekend in December.

Some of the big issues you will need with a building for a haunt: a sprinkler system, a fire alarm system, plenty of parking, space for your cue line, storage space, bathrooms or a place for porta-johns, a makeup and costume room, office space, proper zoning, proper number of emergency exits, easy to find location, road signage, zoning that allows temporary directional signs, lots of electrical outlets and/or sufficient electrical breakers, and preferably low ceilings (10’ to 13’).

Hope this helps. As to why some landlords would prefer not to sign short term leases? They suck!!! Actually some landlords would prefer to take a loss than sign a short term lease with a new or risky business. There will be some damage to the building (scratched floor, spilled paint or overspray, damaged walls, etc.); it’s hard to avoid. Keep in mind that most haunts take 3 years or longer to break even.

My best advice; volunteer to shadow a good haunt operator or hire a GOOD consultant. Best of luck. Now research seminars at Transworld Haunted Attraction show or the Midwest Haunters Convention where you can meet and talk with lots of haunt operators/owners.

Kelly Collins
        The ScareAtorium Columbus

Comment

Originally posted by shawnc View Post
          Can someone please expand on this for me? I own an office building and have never been able to find a tax deduction for not renting an office out.
          rental net loss might be fully, partially, or not at all deductible

Comment

Working...
          X