Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trick or Treating Initiatives?

Hey Everyone,

So I know that it's a crazy and hectic time for all of us with Transworld quickly approaching.

But I would like to take a second to pick everyone's brains.

With each passing year it seems like less and less kids are trick or treating. To me, that's worrisome. If kids don't actively and socially celebrate Halloween as children, how will they continue to love and attend their local haunted house?

So my question is this, what can we, locally or as an industry, do to promote safe and fun trick or treating in an effort to bring back the fun and social aspect of Halloween to kids at a young age to prosper and grow into haunted house enthusiasts and customers as they get older?? Have you noticed a decrease in trick or treating where you are located? Snow, hurricanes, and other shitty weather has cancelled or postponed Halloween here for the past 3 years or so. Am I the only one concerned about this social trend of not celebrating Halloween?

Also, please keep this convo active, and positive, and feel free to comment on it no matter how old it gets, this is something I'd really like to hear a lot of people's input and opinion on.

I always have had a slight problem with Halloween becoming an adult holiday. While its good for business it is sad that very few bring their kids out TOT anymore instead going to parties. The same can be said for the number of people actually at home to give out candy. When we were kids we stayed out all night and so did every other kid. There were no set times or "Harvest Festivals". It does seem like a dying tradition that should be revived.
    Lordgrimley.com for the very best items on the net.

Comment

Well that's my entire concern....I want to know if it's possible to bring trick or treating back to kids?? If it becomes extinct, what will happen to haunts?

Comment

I agree with you both...But I also know that mask and costume sales go up every year .

so what are they using them for???

If we could bring back Trick or Treat better...then why not change it to halloween is all about going to a haunted house for candy and not houses.....

Stew
        Last edited by Darksidestew; 03-13-2014, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksidestew View Post
          I agree with you both...But I also know that mask and costume sales go up every year .

so what are they using them for???

Stew
          They are using them for Halloween parties at school, parades and the infamous Trunk or Treat. Kids actually going house to house are getting pretty rare.

Comment

Schools still do Halloween parties??? I can't find any around me that even allow it! That's half my concern, there's just so little public support of the actual holiday.

Comment

Schools here don't allow them as they are afraid of being sued by religious nuts. Most of my friends go to parties with their kids. I make it a point to stay and hand out candy while the wife takes the kids out. Most of the folks that do come by are always thrilled that we decorate the house still as many on the block don't hand out candy.
              Lordgrimley.com for the very best items on the net.

Comment

Originally posted by screamforadream View Post
                Schools still do Halloween parties??? I can't find any around me that even allow it! That's half my concern, there's just so little public support of the actual holiday.
                Well my kids are still in Pre-K and they do it. Not sure how the elementary schools do it yet...

Comment

Not so much a decline...as a change...

Here in Northern Michigan I have not seen a huge decline in Trick Or Treater's - What I have seen is a change in how it's done - in Traverse City and the surrounding areas they set a time allowed for Trick or Treating, which is usually in the 5-7pm range....even though there are definitely people still walking the streets after the set time because it's usually just getting dark around 7pm.

This time limit in a way condenses the festivities so maybe that's why it does not seem to me that the number of TOT's has gone down. I think the biggest factor has been weather, the last couple years have been pretty crappy - Mostly raining and chilly which really cuts down on the number of younger TOT's - they may hit a street or two and call it good.

One of the other big factors is safety - I remember the thrill of TOT as a child was walking from house to house with just a couple of friends, no parents walking right beside me making sure I was safe - I never knew what the next dark house with the creepy noises held in store for me, and that was part of the magic of the whole thing, of course my parents were there - usually waiting at the end of each street, but it still gave me the feeling that I was taking on the spooky Halloween night by myself never knowing what monsters I might run into.

I don't think a lot of kids see the magic in the season anymore....and yes as much as I hate to say it because haunters are a part of it...it's the commercial side of things. Most kids now days don't sit around discussing what costumes they are going to make, what monsters they want to be....instead they go to the nearest Wal-mart or costume shop and get whatever their parents can afford to get them. I see tons of kids TOT with just plain clothes on....the imagination is just brushed aside.

What can we do about all this???? I like the idea of gathering a LARGE volunteer group and stationing one person at every intersection in a neighborhood - make them very visible - Their job is to keep kids safe from traffic while crossing, and also give a piece of mind to parents that things are being watched.

I know a lot of people complain that they just can't afford to hand out candy anymore - Maybe find a way to help those homes?? As a haunt maybe buy a huge BULK supply of cheap candy - donate it to houses that can't afford it??? Maybe survey the busiest areas for TOT and find out which houses plan to hand out candy, and if not why?? Maybe sponsor a large house decorating contest, give people some incentive to join in the festivities!!

Start a HALLOWEEN festival....not a harvest festival...not a fall festival...a HALLOWEEN festival!!!

Parents need to help as well....bring the magic, the mystery, the atmosphere....make it an event, not just a burden of taking your kids out for a few hours. Help your kids make costumes - get their imagination flowing, tell them scary stories, bring back the meaning behind Halloween!!!

That's it for now....I am sure I will come up with more

Comment

We live in a somewhat rural area, so not a lot of kids come around here. Maybe about 20 or 30 in a night. That is one of the reasons why I stopped setting up a home haunt - too many hours to setup and take down for one hours fun! We do a Trick or Treat hayride for the kids on Saturday afternoons at the haunt, but we are in a campground, so there are a lot of people around to hand out candy. Kids walk away with literally pillow cases full of candy!

We also have kids games and a costume contest for the kids to follow that Halloween tradition. It provides a safe and fun environment for the kids, while providing some great adult Halloween fun at night (the haunts - kids dont do well going through the haunts).
                    Travis "Big T" Russell
                    President
                    Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Working...
                    X