No announcement yet.

Illinois Haunters Sprinkler system ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois Haunters Sprinkler system ????

Illinois haunters do you have a sprinkler system? If not how are you getting around the law? What’s your square footage? ceiling height? Does your local fire marshal give you an alternative to sprinklers? Sold my portion of a haunt that had a system. there are 3 in my area that don’t have systems but get by somehow of course there not talking. I’m starting a new haunt this season and would love to hear others input.
    Thanks!

Do you already have a location? I'm starting a haunt this year as well, and our location is a former retail building which already has a sprinkler system and fire alarm. Personally, I would never open an attraction without a fire suppression system of some sort...just not worth it if something "happens" to go wrong. I don't want to be the reason the reason the haunt industry gets a bad name when it comes to safety.

We plan on having the sprinkler system (so lattice or open ceilings in our rooms) and a fire extinguisher in every room. As far as alternatives go...I know some haunts use a dry-chemical suppression system so that they never have to heat the building in the winter (no water to burst the pipes). Installing any of this can get costly, though.
    -Eric
    Chief Engineer/Co-Creative Director
    HUSH Haunted Attraction

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by eanderso13 View Post
      Do you already have a location? I'm starting a haunt this year as well, and our location is a former retail building which already has a sprinkler system and fire alarm. Personally, I would never open an attraction without a fire suppression system of some sort...just not worth it if something "happens" to go wrong. I don't want to be the reason the reason the haunt industry gets a bad name when it comes to safety.

We plan on having the sprinkler system (so lattice or open ceilings in our rooms) and a fire extinguisher in every room. As far as alternatives go...I know some haunts use a dry-chemical suppression system so that they never have to heat the building in the winter (no water to burst the pipes). Installing any of this can get costly, though.
      I'm in the midst of looking for a location.I'm with you on having a system. it makes it less work with compliance but its almost impossible to find a place with a sprinkler systems in my area. sprinkler systems have very little to do with safety there more on the loss prevention side. i'm on the Iowa Illinois border so i have the option of going to Iowa where the laws are a little more workable but i would rather stay in Illinois. there are many haunts in my area getting around having a system.

Comment

Yeah, every municipality can have slightly different rules and guidelines. I know of one haunt that operated around here in an old school and didn't have anything treated with fire-retardant, didn't use a shutoff relay and they operated for years. Where we are, though, the fire inspector is a bit more strict.

I'm sure you've seen this:
        http://www.sfm.illinois.gov/document...0buildings.pdf

Some highlights:
        "12.4.7.2 Every special amusement building, other than buildings or structures not exceeding 10 ft in height and not exceeding 160 Sqft in horizontal projection, shall be protected throughout by an approved, supervised automatic sprinkler system installed and maintained in accordance with Section 9.7. Where the special amusement building is movable or portable, the sprinkler water supply shall be permitted to be provided by an approved, temporary means.

Note: The LSC Annex note to this section indicates that it is the intent to provide a suppression system that will act quickly to provide for life safety of the occupants.

12.4.7.3 Where the nature of the special amusement building is such that it operates in reduced lighting levels, the building shall be protected throughout by an approved automatic smoke detection system in accordance with Section 9.6. Actuation of any smoke detection system device shall sound an alarm at a constantly attended location on the premises. Actuation of the automatic sprinkler system, or any other suppression system, or actuation of a smoke detection system having an approved verification or cross-zoning operation capability shall provide the following:
        (1) Cause illumination in the means of egress to increase to that required by Section 7.8
        (2) Stop any conflicting or confusing sounds and visuals"

It can all depend on how haunted houses are classified in your state/town, from what I've seen.

Good luck with the location search!
        -Eric
        HUSH Haunted Attraction

sigpic

Comment

I just found this in another forum post regarding Ohio fire codes:

2. Automatic fire sprinklers are not required where the total floor
          area of a temporary special amusement occupancy in an existing
          building is less than 5000 square feet (93 m2), the travel distance
          from any point to an exit is less than 50 feet (15 240 mm), and where,
          in the opinion of the building official, additional means have been
          provided to ensure an equivalent level of safety for all occupants
          during the hours that the special amusement building is operated and
          occupied. Such additional means may include, but not be limited to:
          fire watches; reduced occupant loads; additional means of egress;
          additional detection; and portable fire extinguishers.
          -Eric
          HUSH Haunted Attraction

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shock House View Post
            I'm in the midst of looking for a location.I'm with you on having a system. it makes it less work with compliance but its almost impossible to find a place with a sprinkler systems in my area. sprinkler systems have very little to do with safety there more on the loss prevention side. i'm on the Iowa Illinois border so i have the option of going to Iowa where the laws are a little more workable but i would rather stay in Illinois. there are many haunts in my area getting around having a system.
            Are you saying fire sprinklers have nothing to do with saving lives????? How many people have died in fire sprinklered buildings? NONE! Ever! How many people have died in haunts without fire sprinklers? Over 50 in the last 30-40 years.
            Shame on anyone trying to "get around" having a fire sprinkler system...the one thing that just may keep your butt out if court and jail for manslaughter.

Comment

Dominick G Kasmauskas you are right, even people not involve with the Station fire in RI are still fighting in court. In the case of safety your LLC won't protect you form liability for not taking the proper precautions. If you do have a incident you will end of lossing everything just fighting in court. Please don't be short sighted and do things the right way to protect yourself and your family.
              Phatman

Comment

Very well said Dominick G Kasmauskas!

I am so sick of haunts that keep trying to "get away with things." The first thing every haunter should be concerned about is customer safety.

There was a haunt in my town that was allowed to get away with almost everything safety related. They were proud to announce to anyone who asked how they were able to do that. They would boldly announce that "they are good friends of the mayor, I go golfing with him all the time." Well, I could not let that go anymore. My haunt was in the same city and only 4 miles away, however, we had to jump though hoops every year to comply with our cities rules and regs which we always did. In fact we usually went far way and beyond what they had asked for. I was not going to stand for it any longer. My lawyer got involved and the following year the mayor was not re-elected and the other haunt moved to a different city.

This business is hard enough without so many haunts just asking for problems. All it takes is just one dumb owner getting away without implementing proper safety procedures, for the next big tragedy to unfold. That would once again give the industry another huge black eye. It's already hard enough convincing a new town to allow you to open a haunted attraction. Most cities see haunts as if we were just dirty carnies (no offense to any carnival workers) who blow into town just wanting to make a quick buck. They think that allowing us to open is only going to bring problems and raise the crime rate, while we are there. They don't see how much money, blood, sweat, tears, time and effort that we put into our shows. They don't realize the charities that we give money too or even how we bring thousand of people into their town who use gas stations, eat at restaurants and visit bars after the haunt. We actually help bring extra revenue for other local businesses. We bring a lot of positive things to the community. They only remember that last incident happened two towns over. If more people get hurt or die in a haunt "getting away with things," it will make it even that much tougher and uncomfortable for them to allow your haunt to open.

Just do the right things to make sure your haunt is safe. Ask your fire inspector what is required before you start building. If you cannot afford to do it safely then, save your money another couple years until you have enough not to have to skimp on safety.

Just my 2 cents,

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
                1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

Working...
                X