Unique advertising?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique advertising?

So today I received info on marketing on the tv screens at the CT DMV......actually, it doesn't seem like a terrible idea.

What other odd places have you guys advertised in that worked out well or are just story worthy?

One year, we sent all the area high schools tickets (10-25 each) to be given out to "star students" or other deserving students (economically disadvantaged, etc). What we ended up with is very few tickets were used (except for 1 particular district) and most of the other districts seemed to be snatched up by staff instead. That was the last time we tried that.
    Chad Portenga
    www.hauntedhall.com

Comment

one of the guys from ours is sold on the ad's that are in the bathrooms, above the urinal. He thinks those are great, me, not so much. most are in bars, not the right age range.
      We also give out free tickets, for many years they were not used, last couple years getting many back. I think that people are just giving them to friends, not the people that are supposed to get them

Comment

EWverything has changed in advertising

What used to work is about a zero anymore. Just still expensive!
        One thing that did work here for many years were Bus Stop bench ads. I only had one, right at the edge of the one Missiisssipi River bridge 25 miles from my haunt. People HAD to see it as they began to cross the bridge and they did!
        The sign owner and I finished erecting the sign, I drove straight home and was followed by people who had just seen the sign!
        The owner of the sign business had 60 bench signs all over Clinton, Iowa, but some of them were on one-way streets, pointing the wrong way! No thanks.
        When highway work near the sign called for removing my sign for 3 months, the sign Co. guy thought I should still be paying him every one of those missing months for his sign!? ($37.00 a mon.) I said, "No!" Not long afterwards the city council discovered that his contract with them had not been renued for 10 years! He and his signs were out, a city council member got the new contract.
        The sign had stopped "working" by then, so I passed.
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Fav Cards and tickets

We set up a booth at the local Farm Festival just prior to our season opening. We take a few characters to walk around the grounds all day, hand out Fav Cards. We get a pretty good response from that. We were asked to sponsor the Chamber of Commerce luncheon last year, and provide some free tickets for their drawing. That was a hoot. Should have seen Little T in his "CFX Horseman of Famine" mask wolfing down a salad! And drinking sweet tea through a straw! (He had the full attention of all the ladies in the room with that giant tongue let me tell you).

We partnered with the VA Lottery last year, and they were supposed to have our haunt name and location on their marketing van as a sponsor, but I never saw it, and they never showed up at our event (they used a small marketing company - very unprofessional bunch). We wont be doing that again.

Believe it or not, the local radio station has worked really well. They have a morning show that everyone in town listens to, and the radio station is on the main street in town. We get up early with some characters and pass out tickets to passer-bys on their way to work while the DJ and I do the morning show. Usually get about 2 hours on air time, and pass out a lot of tickets! And they all come back with friends so definitely doing that one again! (takes a lot of coffee and donuts for my actors though - its pretty early in the morning).

I also go to Zombie Walks and pass out Fav Cards in costume. Always the scariest one there, and we get a ton of attention. We have a concession trailer that we sell t-shirts from, while passing out more Fav Cards (I love those things).

This year we hope to hit as many Zombie Walks as we can, use the Fav Cards everywhere, and give tickets away at the colleges and high schools, as well as local radio.
          Travis "Big T" Russell
          President
          Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Originally posted by BigT View Post

I also go to Zombie Walks and pass out Fav Cards in costume. Always the scariest one there, and we get a ton of attention. We have a concession trailer that we sell t-shirts from, while passing out more Fav Cards (I love those things).

This year we hope to hit as many Zombie Walks as we can, use the Fav Cards everywhere, and give tickets away at the colleges and high schools, as well as local radio.

That's catering to your target audience. In fact, I believe I saw you at one in Salisbury last year. I absolutely remember that. Drop me a line about the walk in Charlotte this summer....
            http://www.bigscaryshow.com
            http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

I park my car.

A mere 2 blocks from Ravens Grin on Rt. 78 . People see it, often stop, take pictures of it, walk around it, look it over. There are easy instructions painted on it showing them how to get to my house.
              There will always be either one sign or another in the driver's window-- OPEN tonight , or OPEN
              from 2 to 5 and again from 7pm to 12 Midnight. Weekday versus weekend signage.
              The car is a 1989 Olds station wagon, painted white, there is a black shark fin on the roof along with a suitcase half-opened featuring a skeleton popped out of it amid brightly colored clothing , he is waving a boney hand up and out toward the front of the car . The car's hood features two long arms reaching from the middle of the hood toward the front, coming to rest upon two skulls mounted to the front fenders , I try to keep a blond long-haired wig on one (woman) with the other one possibly a "Man".
              These arms can move up and down when the engine is running (Like parades) For those times I have a loud speaker under the hood to address the crowd.
              The grill of the car has been replaced by a steel set of large lips full of pointy teeth with a curling tongue wrapping around a plastic doll who has a big smile on her face! (Any resemblane to my ex-wife is purely coinsidental!)
              There are some odd stickers and decals here and there on the car along with a painting showing the wine cellar stone arched ceiling and ghostly woman.
              I don't park the car there on busy Court Days because the courthouse is just 50 feet away from the parking spaces and sometimes parking is tough to find there. I don't need any courthouse employee enemies or Lawyer enemies!
              Sometimes this mobile display brings people further down the street which has the potential of bringing my business neighbors some business too, so it's not just me and mine that may benefit from this.
              I have had decorated cars for years and they sure do help.
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Marketing

Ok, I'm a simple caveman. What's a FAV card.

Buck
                Capt.Chaos
                Fear Asylum Haunted House
                Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

Hey Buck,

They're like these die cut squares with round edges, they stand out and are pretty neat but pricy compared to the average postcard size flyers, http://www.favicards.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X