Scary Female Actors and Talented Makeup Teams only apply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scary Female Actors and Talented Makeup Teams only apply

The Midwest Haunters Convention is looking for contestants for the upcoming Ms Midwest Scary Pageant and Monster Makeup Wars competitions on Saturday, June 7. Pageant contestants will submit a photo of their character to a panel of judges; only 8 characters will be selected to compete on stage during the Masquerade Party. This is the most fierce character competition in the Midwest! Haunts out there; sponsor your scariest female character in this coveted annual event!

The Bloody Mary Monster Makeup Wars competition pits 5 teams of two makeup artists and their model as they utilize a special makeup kit to create a monster from the neck up in 30 minutes. The competition takes place on stage during the trade show on Saturday, June 7 at 4:30. Does your haunt have an awesome makeup team? Can they create a monster in 30 minutes of less? Consider sponsoring them by signing them up soon; go to www.midwestshow.com to register for both contests.

Looking forward to seeing everyone soon at the Midwest Haunters Convention in Columbus, Ohio June 6, 7 & 8.

Kelly Collins
    The ScareAtorium

I hope this doesn't create fire storm, but it's pretty damn hard to find an actual scary female character. They all seem to be pretty uncreative, opting for a ring girl type psycho chick, a "little girl" holding her dollie or being a doll herself, the wedding dress or Victorian dress girl, or the clown girl with thigh high stockings and the colored dreads (least scary of all), or they resort to thinking sexy is scary because that's all they know. Elvira was never popular because she was scary, it was because of her looks. I'm sure there are some scary female actresses in the industry, but from my personal experiences 99% fail miserably or even if they are scary, it was incredibly unimaginative.

I'd love to get a thread going for girls posting SCARY and ORIGINAL pics.

Jake

Comment

I take it you haven’t been to the Midwest Haunters Convention masquerade party. You’ll definitely see some scary ass women in our contest. I would love to have any of the previous contestants perform at our haunt. Too bad you haven’t experienced a scary female character, they can be very intimidating. Come to MHC and you’ll see lots of them at the party and performing at our haunt; the ScareAtorium, on the Friday night bus tour. We have at least 25 female characters performing that night and I guarantee you will be entertained by them.

You can find pictures and video of previous years contestants on Facebook and Youtube.

Kelly Collins
      The ScareAtorium

Comment

WOW Jake I can't believe you went there. I can say that I have seen more scary female actors this year than in others. Being a haunter means that you become immune to most startle scares so I have really been looking closer at the entertainment aspect of actors. I will say that female actors have a better creep factor than males do for me. The real question for me is does this mean that Granny can't be in the contest? Kelly are you doing a blood test or lift your skirt test on the contestants. Cant wait to see it.
        Phatman

Comment

I would have to agree w Jake!

I have seen very to little far as female actors that are actually scary in a haunt. The always rely on yelling or screaming and that's there entire scare. Ive had a few don't get me wrong female actresses that actually kicked ass and got the job done. But ive been to so many haunts and its always been the female actors that think there badasses that really bring the show down. Now far as the ones that show up at MHC now they look scary! I will give them that. But I haven't seen them act.
          Damon
          www.frightmasters.weebly.com
          Damon Carson

Comment

Austin

Granny was in the pageant for 8 years..and then retired from it. It says female CHARACTER, not Female Actress....so males can be in it as long as they are doing a female character
            Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Comment

Kelly I'm trying to come to MHC this year and I hope to be proven wrong.
              Like Damon said, even if I saw some that are original and scary how well can they act in the show itself?
              I really hate to lump everyone in and to generalize and I'm not trying to offend, I can only go by my experience. They are very limited in what they can do and it shows by the shocking lack of interesting ideas.

Jake

Ps thanks Damon

Comment

Sorry , I've seen some good female actors as well as males both at my haunt and while visiting. There are stereotypes for each gender : For example How often do we see guys resort to classic horror characters ( Freddy, Jason, Michael) , or just welding a chainsaw or other weapon in a threating manner, the ring leader etc. I think both genders have plenty of new actors that fall into these easy types just because they are easy and its the job of the more experience to get them thinking outside the box.

Comment

Wait 'til the women see this thread! A couple of you guys are in deep cucca! Firestorm is the least of your worries, lol. Personally, I've seen several female actors do a fantastic job. Kelly's right too, some of the characters at the masquerade ball are off the charts. Two words...Katie Lane (pretty freakin good).
                  Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

I agree with Sean, there are going to be some female actors a little upset over this. I will say this I went to 93 haunted houses in 2013 and the actors were all over the board as far as quality, male or female. I will say that the stand outs were all female.
                    Phatman

Comment

I didn't post it to piss of females but I'm saying I find females to be unoriginal and not scary in haunted houses. I've been to as many haunts as you Austin and worked in them, and I'm telling you they stick to the same skits or costumes time after time.

Let's push this in to the light then gentlemen. Excluding the costumes mentioned above in an earlier text, feel free to post a photo of an actual scary actress not trying to be sexy, a ring
                      Psycho girl, clown with dreads, thigh high stockings or knee high socks with boots, pigtails, or the Victorian or wedding dress etc.

I'd love to be proven wrong.

Jake

Comment

About Ten years ago...

Ravens Grin had a young woman working here who wore a party dress, had blondish hair , sort of a thin girl. She carried a dollie. She acted nuts.. then we began to get complaints about her because se was hitting some customers.. because , I guess, she really is/was NUTS!
                        She scared and upset some people and she was/is female....
                        There you go! (I know, just a bit extreme to claim as an employee, but she was, for a short while, and No, she was never married to me.or engaged or intimate in any way.)
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Kind of agree... in a way....

I have some AMAZINGINGLY scary, creepy women that worked for me, but I have to say, that they are few and far between. Sadly, the ones you describe tend to be the loudest and the ones that are always trying to get attention. If you can wade through them there are some very good haunt actresses out there.
                          I agree that both genders "phone it in", but women in particular get called out on it all the time.
                          This industry is a male dominated industry, and some inadvertently or blatantly encourage the "sexy" "little girl" stuff to sell tickets. Which, in turn, encourages the very behavior mentioned. And encourages women to think that's what a haunt actress is.
                          Most of the contestants for Miss Scary Midwest, for as long as I've been going, have been very worthy of the competition and titles.
                          If you know what to really look for, you can get a very good idea how someone will act in your haunt, by the performance they give at the Masquerade Ball or around the convention. It can give you a sense of commitment, body movement, dialogue, and if they can handle it.
                          Like I said, I tend to agree, but they are there and they are insane!
                          Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

Originally posted by Killer Katie View Post
                            I have some AMAZINGINGLY scary, creepy women that worked for me, but I have to say, that they are few and far between. Sadly, the ones you describe tend to be the loudest and the ones that are always trying to get attention. If you can wade through them there are some very good haunt actresses out there.
                            I agree that both genders "phone it in", but women in particular get called out on it all the time.
                            This industry is a male dominated industry, and some inadvertently or blatantly encourage the "sexy" "little girl" stuff to sell tickets. Which, in turn, encourages the very behavior mentioned. And encourages women to think that's what a haunt actress is.
                            Most of the contestants for Miss Scary Midwest, for as long as I've been going, have been very worthy of the competition and titles.
                            If you know what to really look for, you can get a very good idea how someone will act in your haunt, by the performance they give at the Masquerade Ball or around the convention. It can give you a sense of commitment, body movement, dialogue, and if they can handle it.
                            Like I said, I tend to agree, but they are there and they are insane!
                            Much respect Katie for your honesty. It wasn't meant to be a knock more of an observation. You get it!

Jake

Comment

Working...
                            X