No announcement yet.

All ages welcome at MHC??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think so... we need to put this to a vote because if IAAPA can do it so can Transworld. What do they care its another 50 dollars per person! Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

All for it -

Two years back Transworld allowed my daughter to come to the show - at the time she was 13 years old. She has been involved in our haunt for years and does at least the same if not more work then the rest of our crew. She was very respectful during the show and not one person said anything about her being there, she had a great time and enjoyed the whole experience including going through "The Darkness" - She even discussed room ideas based on products she saw while there and what her thoughts were on various items we debated buying.

This last show she was not allowed because we were told they were cracking down on the age restrictions.

I think allowing kids is a great idea.....But I also think in that case the parents really need to keep an eye on them and not let them run the show floor. I also think that maybe there should be a limit on ages - thinking a couple 5 year olds getting loose on the show floor could cause some issue and put a damper on those kids who are mature enough to behave and enjoy the show in the future.

Comment

I think we should really pursue this!

My kids have helped act since they were real small. My kids always suggest to me things to build, create, and put in the haunt. I always take anyones suggestions and consider it. And if it cant work but I still like it I find a way to make it work. My boys have came up w some awesome ideas! Im very proud of them! And I don't see anything wrong if your kids are part of your haunt they should be allowed to go just as anyone else. I think there should be a lower price but they should be allowed to go if they want. And I agree some adults act worse than children at the show. Really whats the difference!
        Damon
        www.frightmasters.weebly.com
        Damon Carson

Comment

I don't think people will be letting kids run wild. I think kids should be allowed charge admission for them and maybe open the show to a kid friendly Halloween section because we all know to really be successful you have to think of the whole family.

Let's do it!

Jake

Comment

My 2 cents

As a parent myself, with kids that are young and really have no desire to have anything to do with this stuff... yet Lol..... I leave them at home, this is my time. But as they get older, if they have an interest, I would love to take them. HOWEVER, I understand the trepidation of kids being at the show. If I was a vendor, answering questions, not in anticipation of a sale, would be frustrating.
            The parents need to be held responsible, and they need to stay with them at all times. Unruly kids, running around, acting as kids do, is not "them experiencing the industry", it's them coming so their parents don't have to find sitters. That, to me, is the issue. (This also applies to some adults.. but I think that was a different, LOOOOONG thread LOL)
            I also think, that the show shouldn't be changed to accommodate them either. There are vendors that have nudity, vulgar, and violent displays, and bodypainting, and they shouldn't have to censor their product. As a Mom, I would either explain, or avoid. That is MY job
            All in all, I have seen teens there, and they have been more respectful than some of the adults. Just one example is Ben Armstrong's son. He is obviously grooming himself to take over, and it shows in the way he carries himself.
            In conclusion, I would consider bringing my kids, but I would have no expectation of haunters or the industry acting differently because I bring them. I would think respect of others would be good, but , again, I have been in this industry long enough to know that some things aren't going to change.
            Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

Why do people always seem to assume the worst about kids? Like they all will run wild and be disruptive? I have news for you, half of the adults are running around wild, rude, drunk, high, taking up vendor's time and catalogs with empty pockets. For most of us like it or not the kids are part of what we do and should be allowed to attend. I see people bringing 20 people there and only one guy does the buying, as long as that keeps happening Transworld should just make the extra $50 for kids. For those who want to leave the kids at home and act like high school kids while partying nonstop you can still do that, but don't find fault with families wanting to travel and spend time together.

Jake

Comment

Also with the vulgarity, are those props necessary anyway? Is a latex prop of a bare breasted woman interesting or scary in any way shape or form? Or the anatomically correct guy scary Gary was pushing around from creature corps? It's just not really needed there anyway the naked guy most haunts would put a towel over anyway. But in reality the kids have grown up around gore and scary things since birth and wouldn't blink an eye at seeing those props anymore even many customers have seen it enough not to react anymore.

Jake

Comment

"Why do people always seem to assume the worst about kids? Like they all will run wild and be disruptive?"
                  Sadly, this is observed in parks, playgrounds, schools, restaurants, etc. As unfair as it is, and as much as it's a small percent of kids, it happens.
                  As with all places, if the parents can't act decent, the children sure aren't going to either.
                  And everyone's experiences formulate their opinions, if you haven't been exposed to the "wild" kids, then you are lucky! LOL
                  Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

You don't see wild kids at IAAPA, but you do see wild adults at Transworld. Chances are kids will act more adult than many if the adults who attend.

Jake

Comment

We’ve had the trade show floor open at MHC to families with children for the past 10 years. There aren’t many kids in attendance, but those who are there have not been a problem. The kids I’ve seen have been walking around with their parents. I believe it’s up to the parents to decide if it is appropriate for their children to see the props and body painting. The parents know the props will be there and need to decide if their children can handle it or not. In the past 10 years, I’ve not had a single complaint from an exhibitor or guest about the children causing problems at the show. There have been people question if it was acceptable for them to be there, but that was based on their personal beliefs.

My kids got started in the industry when they were 10, but my grandkids started when they were only 6. Some can handle the gore and some can’t. Get them started early and they’ll be awesome actors and makeup artists by the time they are teens. My oldest granddaughter is 15 and she’s been face painting since she was 12. She’s a better artist/face painter than most of my adult staff at the haunt. She recently joined me at a face painting gig and she painted 76 kids in 4 hours. She made over $350. My point is if you exposure your children to our industry at an early stage, they may find something they enjoy and decide to pursue it as they become teens.

This year at MHC they are introducing a Kids Zone, but it isn’t intended for parents to drop children off, it is a place for them to interact and have fun as a family. I think it’s a great idea and hope it works as planned.

Kelly Collins

Comment

And herein lies the problem--

"Also with the vulgarity, are those props necessary anyway? Is a latex prop of a bare breasted woman interesting or scary in any way shape or form? Or the anatomically correct guy scary Gary was pushing around from creature corps? It's just not really needed there anyway the naked guy most haunts would put a towel over anyway"

Everything must be appropriate for the pre-school set.

Oh, it won't happen fast. At first, there'll just be a few random comments, then some vendors will do a bit of self censoring, then the self censoring will be 'suggested', then mandatory. At this point some vendors will move to less child oriented shows, others will stop bringing props that might cause issues.

And, bear in mind that gore will be following nudity. Because dismembered corpses upset the little ones.

And a large portion of the props you need will be relegated to pictures in catalogs or images on the internet and the whole point of TW will be lost.

Maybe they'll start exhibiting some of the 'fun' party Halloween stuff the little ones enjoy. A gentle 'boo'.

When my kids were little they desperately wanted to go to TW. And they'd been raised in the business. They could have easily taken it. But they couldn't go. Because not everyone wants their kids exposed to a lot of stuff that's just normal to a lot of us.

Comment

I stand corrected

Just want to say that "I stand corrected" about the concerns I had of the behaviors of the kids at MHC that I originally posted about. Other than one kid who was completely annoying (and the dad was apologetic), the kids that attended were well behaved.
                          Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X