Emergency exit question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency exit question

There's probably a very simple solution I just don't know to my problem - but in a "blackout" style maze - where patrons are mostly using touch to get around how would you guys put in emergency exits to avoid customers just pushing them open and walking out on accident ? Any help is much appreciated !
    Good deals with : brad, smiley, capt. chaos, fables studios

www.fearthegallows.com

the only answer I know to that problem is a (dimmed) red exit light above it, and that will cause some light pollution. I can't see the Fire folks letting you get by with an "invisible" exit. But maybe I'm wrong.
    www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

There is a possibility, and it would have to be cleared with your Fire Marshal, of using a magnetic lock. With power applied the door is held closed, when power is lost (or cut in an emergency) then the door is unlocked and can be opened by pushing. You can mix this with a battery backup exit light that will turn on if power is lost above the door, as well as a few floods to light up. If you still want to be able to use the door for actors it would be easy to put a small momentary switch in a covered location next to the door that will interrupt power to the lock and allow it to be opened without triggering the entire emergency system.

Essentially think of a lock like they use in some office buildings. They also use similar systems to hold fire doors open in commercial buildings. There is a magnet on the wall that holds the door, and in an emergency the magnet releases and the door closes. Same thing only in reverse.

Comment

I dimmed my exit signs during blackout nights. They were visible, but did not illuminate the rooms or hallways at all.
        Brian Warner
        Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
        Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
        Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Hey Brian

How did you dim them?

Joe Phillips
          The Shallow Grave
          Winter Haven FL
          Joe Phillips
          The Shallow Grave
          Winter Haven FL
          http://www.theshallowgrave.com/

Comment

We used a rosco theatrical gel sheet cut to fit the inside of the light. I'll get the number of the specific one tomorrow. It was the darkest one they had.
            Brian Warner
            Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
            Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
            Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

Working...
            X