Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help convincing a new city for a Haunted attraction

Hi everyone.

Thought I'd post this here for suggestions and discussion. I am in the process of closing on a new building for our haunted attraction and thus moving it to the bigger city next to us and quite frankly the market we have targeted for years now. Was hoping for some discussion and suggestions on things to include when dealing with new city officials who have not had an attraction in their town for almost 20 years. The initial concerns from local business owners until I talked to them and explained what and who we are was..."oh great, a cheezy and gaudy haunted house going in here will be horrible". Their thoughts initially were that we'd have cobwebs hanging from all of the windows and ghouls and zombies plastered to all the walls and windows.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've done well at convincing them that we are a professional haunt and that we will do this in a way that not only brings in visitors to their area restaurant's but will also be involved with community events as well.

Thanks again and love this forum.

Muuaji

Write up a proposal, have your building plans in place and explain your marketing strategy. Educate them on how you're a professional attraction, have emergency action plans, and promote yourself as a local economy booster. People come from all over for a good haunt and want somewhere to eat before or after it, people will make a night of it, and you'll be bringing in customers and tax dollars for the surrounding area businesses. Let them know you aren't going to trash the area. Educating the surrounding business and city is key to your acceptance and to your success. Avoid burning bridges, and making enemies. You should be alright

Comment

Question? You are closing on a building that you are not even sure the city will let you use for your purposes? Sound like a nightmare waiting to happen for you. I would not sign the papers without having the cities full blessings first!

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
      1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

We had to go before the city council board. No need for a written proposal. We first told them that this is NOT the haunted houses that they knew as kids. Its a very professional attraction with sophistcated animatronics and state of Scenes and props. Then we showed them photos/examples of what it will look like. We also hit on how safety is is important to us and went ahead and explained to them all the safety measures we are willing to do and if they have any concerns we will gladly addment them in. Theres alot more, but I think you get the picture here. They voted and it was 8 to 1.

They simply loved us. The city we were in is top notch and as picky as you get and we made it happen.

Stew

Comment

Darksidestew,

That's great that you received the thumbs up from the city council. How about the Fire, Building, Electrical, Mechanical and any other inspectors that will be visiting you, to make sure you and your building complies with all codes?

Not trying to be a negative person however, I spent 7 months every day building a kick ass haunt. As it turns out, the person who was the owner of that haunt did not check with all the inspectors and after all that work, we were not allowed to open in that great location! We were able to get into another location at the last minute and rebuilt the haunt (15,000 sq. feet) in less than a month. It was the best year I ever had with over 25,000 customers which for our area was huge.

Even though we had a great year and it was a great haunt, I will always remember that year as being my least favorite out of 27.

Just saying, you better get the ok on the building from all your inspectors before signing the lease. Up to you but trust me, you don't want to have to find a new location and tear it down then rebuild at the last minute. It almost killed me.

Howie "Slobber" Erlich
          1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

After getting boards approval. We then contacted building dept. fire marshall and everryone else involved. We gave them the same exact presentation. We also gave it to the mayor. Everyone was on board and the mayor told them help these guys as much as you can. i want this to happen. Everyone, bent over backwards to help us and were thanking us???? without skipping or avoiding codes they helped us the best way to accomplish the legalities. If the Fire marshall or building dept. wanted us to do something we would do it and even add more to it to insure them we are all about codes and safety. At the end of the season Our fire marshall invited Us and 7 other surrounding fire dept. to a dinner after we gave them a tour on how to safely operate a haunted attraction on the site. Just give them what they want and step it up even more. Believe it or not, you will know more about haunted attraction safety more then they do. They get impressed when you can show them safety concerns before they even mention it. Nip it in the bud.

Now they call us for advice on certain situations.

Sorry to be so brief, but I think you got the picture. There just to many things to discuss on what we did.

I

Stew

Comment

Cool, that's what I like to hear! People doing it the right way! Congrats!

Howie "Slobber" Erlich

Comment

Scary to think one person on the board voted "no." Perhaps they think there are too many businesses in their city. What city is it, anyway?

Good luck!
                www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

Working...
                X