Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question For Hayride Owners - Hayride Equipment

Hey Guys,

I am trying to figure out the best and most cost effective solution for hayride equipment. Equipment being the trailer to hold the passengers, and the vehicle to pull said trailer.

Naturally a lot of hayride owners use tractors and actual hay carrying trailers. What I notice about the hay trailers is they have four wheels and will stand level and upright, whereas a typical trailer like I have in mind (tandem axle) would not stand level if it was not attached to a vehicle.

Are there any hayride owners using alternate equipment that might work better, and be more cost effective?

For example. I was considering using Jeep Wranglers (used ones, $5000-$6000 each) and purchasing a couple of "deckover trailers' which are basically flat top trailers, and building a short wood wall around the entire perimeter of the trailer. Here is an example of a deckover trailer:

102-deck-over-atv.jpg

I like the Jeep idea because I want to theme it as an "expedition gone wrong", the jeeps go with that expedition theme, farm tractors, not so much.

Is there anything I should be considering that Im not? are there any hayride owners using vehicles other than tractors to pull their trailers?

Thanks in advance!
    Shawn
    Fear Engineer
    HauntedHouse.ca

one advantage of a 4 wheel wagon is the steerable front axle, it helps with turning, not to mention much cheaper.

Comment

Best I ever seen was buses with thier roof cut off. I bet its cheaper then trailers and jeeps and holds alot more people....

Stew

Comment

Traditional Hayride

There are so many directions you can go with this one, I'll start with ours.

We have a 8ton running gear from a company called pequea. You can get them for about $2000
        I build a 32' deck using 2 main beams approx 3' apart. Each beam is made of 10 16' 2x12s spliced and bolted together so the joints don't match for max strength.
        I use 8' 4x4s on 2' centers to support the decking. the 4x4s are set perpendicular to the beams.
        I use 16' 5/4 deck boards for the wagon decking. I also move the joints so they don't line up.
        I use 2x6s for railings.
        We also incorporate actor steps into the wagon railings. If you build them correctly they can be very strong.
        Total cost of materials: $3800 (2013 lumber prices)

wagon.jpg
        (Sorry for lame ass picture, had to steal it from our safety video)

(picture shows 12 ton running gear w/ dual axels in the rear)

We can max out around 50 avg sized people. I think we average 42/ trip.

A 30hp tractor can be purchased used in the $3500 range. That's all you need to pull this wagon on level ground.

hope this helps.

Patrick
        Patrick Barberry
        www.legendsofthefog.com
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X