Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Media Players - Cheap and easy!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Media Players - Cheap and easy!!

So I took a plunge the other day and bought a cheap "Digital Media Player" off ebay - it was listed as capable of 1080p, Full HD, etc. - The price was $29.95......I was hesitant because it didn't have a brand name and very few reviews. I decided to buy one to test it out and see if it would be a good way to replace our DVD players for our video effects without getting into the high end digital players.

I received the player yesterday, when I unboxed it I was worried because of how small and light it was....just felt cheap. I plugged it in and poof ready to go, played the digital file perfectly and was even capable of looping the file to play constantly - I used the composite cords that came with it, have not tried the HDMI output yet because it looked great the way it was. I let it play for a few hours just to test and it worked great. So I thought I would pass on the information in case anyone else was looking for a cheap media player as well.

Here is the ebay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390786447209...84.m1497.l2649

Any questions feel free to ask and I will answer the best I can with what I have tested.

Thanks for the info! Gonna check it out.
    ~nail in the coffin~

**Crawford School of Terror**
    Connellsville, PA

Comment

You can see a bunch of reviews & some sample video here: http://www.dx.com/p/mini-1080p-full-...b-sd-mmc-55119
      They also have them bulk discounted if you buy more than 3.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the link - These things are pretty cool for as cheap as they are, no more worries about discs being destroyed over the season.

Comment

I decided to order one based upon your recommendation. Thanks for the testing!

Originally posted by Evernight View Post
          So I took a plunge the other day and bought a cheap "Digital Media Player" off ebay - it was listed as capable of 1080p, Full HD, etc. - The price was $29.95......I was hesitant because it didn't have a brand name and very few reviews. I decided to buy one to test it out and see if it would be a good way to replace our DVD players for our video effects without getting into the high end digital players.

I received the player yesterday, when I unboxed it I was worried because of how small and light it was....just felt cheap. I plugged it in and poof ready to go, played the digital file perfectly and was even capable of looping the file to play constantly - I used the composite cords that came with it, have not tried the HDMI output yet because it looked great the way it was. I let it play for a few hours just to test and it worked great. So I thought I would pass on the information in case anyone else was looking for a cheap media player as well.

Here is the ebay link:

Any questions feel free to ask and I will answer the best I can with what I have tested.
          Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

We ordered 3 more Like I said they aren't super high quality like some of the others out there - but for looping a video effect or playing a bunch of different videos that don't need triggering so far it works great. The fact that it is small and lightweight is great as well - I just used some stick on industrial velcro and stuck them right to the back of the LCD screens.

Comment

I ordered one, based upon the advice in this thread, but unfortunately mine seems to be DOA. It does power-up, but that's all it does. I didn't have time to mess with it extensively during the haunt season, but now I have time.

You said it played your digital file perfectly... What kind of digital file? How did you get the file to the unit? If you used an SD card, how was it formatted? It has a USB, but it's the wrong jack... It's for the end that typically plugs into the computer. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by Evernight View Post

Here is the ebay link:

Last edited by Dark Tiki Studios; 11-05-2014, 03:13 PM. Reason: clarification
              Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

That's why sometimes you have to spend a little money to get the higher quality players. We deal Brightsign players and they have never failed us once.

We have installed these in Spookywoods, Rob Zombies Great American Nightmare, The Nest, Horseman's Hollow, and many other laser tag and seasonal attractions.

If anyone is interested please email me and I would be happy to put together a package for you.
                Bill Rod.
                Dark Tech Effects
                Automated DMX Lighting
                Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

Worked flawlessly

The units we ordered worked all season and never had a single issue - We used 4 of them...outside in freezing temps of Northern Michigan, along with a lot of humidity due to the large amounts of rain and not once did we have even the slightest issue with these units as cheap as they were, I would definitely order more if I needed them.

Comment

Dark Tiki -

We actually tried a few different video types - .mkv, .avi, .mov - and all worked fine for us. When you plug them up to a TV and power them on you should get a menu for setup even with no SD card installed, from there you can set up various functions such as always play the file from power up, no screen saver, etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X