Group size and frequency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Group size and frequency

If u have 200 people to move though in a hour what size groups and frequency are you putting them in to not create a huge conga line in the middle?

Don't some break up time by having multiple themed sections?

Comment

We try to keep the groups between 6 and 8 so everyone can have a great experience and get all the scares, nothing worse than when it's too crowded and you are seeing everything happen in the group before you, but when getting large numbers this is hard to avoid

Comment

If you want To do high-volume sometimes conga lines are unavoidable. Universal Studios are masters of the high throughput haunt. They don't even do groups, it's one solid line even going in. However, because they know they have to do it this way, their scares and effects are designed for it, most of which are pulled off quite well. Sometimes the same scare will happen twice back to back, with the actors "leap frogging" it so to speak, by alternating when they scare. This ensures everyone gets to see it.

Comment

I disagree that Universal has somehow designed around the problem of Conga lines giving away the scares. Everyone complains about it, at least the vast majority does. The leap frogging helps, but it doesn't solve the problem. For the most part, everyone in the line sees where the scares are going to happen before they reach that same point except for the few that get leap frogged. Universal made a choice to put profit about everything else, and they are laughing all the way to the bank because of it-- but the impact on the patron DOES suffer. (You can't have it all.) Likewise, they allow drinking because they make a ton of money off of that, but that also spoils the effect for a lot of people. Vomit and drunks do not add to the scares.

Anywhoo, back the the basic question. You can do 200 people in an hour by breaking them up into groups of ten every 3 minutes. Some will meet up and make groups of 20, maybe even 30, but that's better that starting them out that way. Groups of ten are quite good. We try to keep them 6 to 13, but the average is ten. We're in Florida and get people who say we scare much better than Universal all the time, all because of our smaller groups (and longer inside haunt time). Universal has better sets and make up, but that doesn't "make up" for the fact they rush everyone through in a one long line. We even have Universal employees come through and say they wish they could do the groups like we do, because the effect is so much better. I used to think haunts were all about the best props and eye candy. But now I know it's much more than that. It's about controlling the atmosphere and making the patron feel like they are OUT of control. That's why people are more scared of flying, even though it is the safest form of travel by far. They have NO CONTROL -- only the pilot does. When they are in our haunt, it's like the old Outer Limits TV show: We control what you see and hear. There is normally safety in numbers, but we control that as well, so there are very few in your group and very little (perceived) safety. We won't telegraph where the scares are going to occur, but you know they WILL occur, so you might as well bend over and take it. It's spanking time, baby, and there's no way around it!
          www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

I think a lot of that is determined by the design of your show and the actors ability to work the crowd knowing what method of scaring is suitable to the size and speed of a group. Our newly redesigned third attraction opened this past weekend with groups of 6 entering every minute. The groups never ran into each other and the wait in line was less than 15 minutes. This is significantly better over past years and our customers seem to be much happier with the results.
            Daniel Burnett
            PR/Operator
            Reindeer Manor Halloween Park: Est. 1974
            13th Street Morgue/Dungeon Of Doom/Reindeer Manor

sigpic

reindeermanor.com
            whenhingescreak.com

Comment

As I've gotten to see a number of haunts from small to large throughput, it really just depends on what you're going for as a patron. It's come to be expected at theme park haunts you're GOING to conga line. No if's and or buts. The show I produce now is WAY smaller but our guests have come to appreciate the smaller groups because when no one is in front of you or behind you, the vulnerability factor skyrockets. People want the protection of safety in numbers. That being said, I went to House of Shock a few weekends ago and was surprised when they literally opened the door and an ass of people just walked into the haunt. We thought they may have been emergency egress-ing people due to the number of people they sent in. When it was our turn, same thing...we flooded in and the entire time simply walked in a huge line through the haunt. It almost became more like walking through one big ass AMAZINGLY DETAILED museum. As a haunter, I don't get scared but more so startled if caught off guard, so the conga line wasn't a big deal. I just wanted to absorb as much detail as I could. Last Sunday I went to Netherworld, and they do a great job of handling large numbers while still sending in smaller numbers at a time. Of course we eventually caught up with the people in front of us, but it wasn't terrible. At our haunt we usually choose a room far enough into the show that puts a decent space between groups and then give the actor in that room a switch that will give the queue person an indication of when to send the next group. We try to limit our max size to 6 people because our hallways and scenes are so tight that the end of the group typically misses the main scare. That works for us, but every show is different.
              O'Shawn McClendon
              Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

Ravens Grin-tour schedule

First room-15 min. to 60 min.
                Second Room-10 min. to 25Min.
                Third room-10 min.
                4th room-3min.
                5th room-10 min.
                6th room-2 to 12 min.-Re-grouping area.
                7th area-hallways-2 min.
                8th room-confusion factor high-3 min. to 8 min.
                9th area walkways-2min.
                10th area-backyard (seasonal)10-15 min.
                This is only half way through the house physically---
                Flexibility and knowing what you are working with as far as overall amount of time is a huge factor here.
                One season cheap stop watches helped our employees more than anything else ever has before or since.WE provided the watches.
                Some groups are listeners, some groups are doers, some are scared and wish travel more quickly. Others are under a time consideration.
                Before I open the front door I often ask if they have to be out of here by a certain time? Most do drive for a long time to get here and I would never want to make the tour shorter or show them less house and "Show" after they invested thier time and effort to be here.
                Many old fans come here bringing new potential fans. Putiing on the best possible show is most of my" advertising" to insure this keeps keeping on.
                Of course I am usually having so much fun, I may also lose all track of time passing too!
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

..and when they Do have a time schedule..

I point out that if they begin asking me a ton of questions, or drag their feet or begin reading everything and looking at everything in the house (intently-"tick-tock-tick-tock!") that I will then Not be held responsible for the time they are spending in here.
                  I can only do so much toward their desired goal, they have to do their part also to make it come out the way they think they want it to be.
                  More time will always happen if the group has more bodies in it.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I Can Run a small group

Through this house in 35-40 minutes, IF they do their part to allow it to happen, which usually will not be happening for most people.
                    Of course at my age, I usually don't really need a "Track Meet" anymore, although the after effects of the Track Meet can be very positive upon my elderly body.. sometimes.
                    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                    X