Extension Cord Usage in Haunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension Cord Usage in Haunts

So I was just involved in a partial walk-through with our Fire Inspector (not the final inspection, just a courtesy visit to give us time to correct anything). As the resident electrician I was worried when he warned us that the State Inspectors (OH) are starting to look closely at Extension Cord usage in temporary attractions. I always make sure my extension cords are grounded and that they are in good shape. Talking with some theater friends I was told that they are going to start restricting extension cords to a single cord from outlet to device (no stringing multiple ones together to get the 20 feet you need) and at the same time though you are not allowed to have more than 5 feet of slack on the end! So in other words you are limited to custom length cords!

I also have been told that in the Haunted House they like to see extension cords kept under 5 feet! Now that is a "like" to see and not a requirement so who knows.

The Inspector was impressed with our new Low Voltage Lighting and control system, and even mentioned that he had never seen one before. LOL He did spend some extra time looking at it but was impressed and really liked the fact that we are moving that direction.

So to ask a question, how are your inspectors feelings toward extension cords?

Absolutely zero extension cords allowed in any haunt I have worked at recently. When you need 110v power somewhere else, I had to install a new outlet box dropped from the ceiling, or ran inside mc cable if from an existing circuit already inside the haunt.
    Brian Warner
    Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
    Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
    Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

That seems a bit draconian for a temporary situation. But seems to be where they are heading.

I also do work for a major Amusement Park and all of those Haunted Houses are permanent structures, they may not be run year round but they could be if staffed And there we don't run any extension cords beyond the occasional 6-10 footer.

But the other haunt I work with is a "temporary" haunt. The building is there permanently but the walls/rooms/props move every year and I would hate to have to move full duplex outlets every year also. Our local Inspector is classing us under Temporary Use so we can use the extension cords for up to 6 month, and we are only open 1.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget-evilusions View Post
        Absolutely zero extension cords allowed in any haunt I have worked at recently. When you need 110v power somewhere else, I had to install a new outlet box dropped from the ceiling, or ran inside mc cable if from an existing circuit already inside the haunt.
        Your inspectors were beyond ludicrous, IMO.

I'm all for safety, but having to drop duplex's at a given area is just beyond silly, especially for most temp haunts, or even semi-permanent like yours was and mine is.

OCPD's are there for a reason. As long as you're using the appropriate cord for the job (IE, no 2 wire cords, no lamp cords, etc) it's a non-issue. IMO, inspectors should be looking MUCH more closely at how some of these props are coming wired. A few years ago we received a prop from a larger vendor in the industry that would have burned our place down, had I not inspected it (and subsequently rebuilt the control system from scratch). 120v valves, open relays, exposed terminals. Even 120v going through step pads as a trigger. It's sometimes sad to be associated with some of the clowns in our industry (no pun intended)
        -Brandon Kelm
        Operations Manager & Technical Director

sigpic

Comment

We use cords but our fire marshal allows only a certain type in terms of gauge.

Comment

Yeah we have been phazing out anything below 14-12 gauge heavy duty cords (under 50' - 14, over 50 - 12). We still use the Lowe's purchased type but I know in theaters I have to use SOOW, which are either purchased from theatrical supply places or custom built as needed. I would love to convert the haunt to permanent power and SOOW but with it changing layout and room design every year permanent power is unreasonable. And SOOW is much more expensive to purchase, or build.

Though this year we made the move to LED and Low Voltage controls. Still working on the switch but a great step in the right direction.

Comment

We are not allowed to use any extension cords in our haunt. We are however able to use surge protectors... even if they have 15' cords. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X