HELP!!! Haunt closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! Haunt closed

Hey, I live in the city limits and have been doing a haunted house on my property for 6 years. I have 13 acres in no where land that is zone on the edge of the city limits. Built a building and everything, got approvals from the city inspector and fire chief. 2 years ago we got a new mayor and they come and closed me down, saying my property wasn't zone for business. After meeting with them and see what I could do to get re-zone, they basically said we wont let you. So with that said, my question is; I think I have figured out a loop hole and was wondering if I could do it and if anyone has tried it and if there is anything the city can do about it... So what if I just open my haunt as a FREE haunt and donation are welcome. Could the city do anything about that?? I know I wouldn't make what I was making but at least I wouldn't let all this work go to waste. I was having about 5000 people a year, so even if I could average 3.00 a head on donations, I would still get 15,000 a year. That way I could do this for a couple of years, save the money and then find a new home that I can re-open as a business... Any info would help

Thanks

Geoff

I'm sorry to hear that. I've seen too much of that this season alone.

I think expecting $3.00 per head is over-optimistic.

We've been a home haunt, accepting but not requiring donations for several years.
    We average less than a dollar per head in donations.
    That barely covers the gasoline for the generator, the fog juice, and other incidentals just to run the haunt.
    Props, materials, parts, insurance, etc. that we use to construct and upgrade the maze every year is out of our own pockets with no reimbursement.

You should check the laws and ordinances in your town as to whether or not you can do what you suggest. I don't think anyone here can tell you authoritatively.
    Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
    http://frightinfalcon.com

Comment

I am sorry this happen, hopefully you can find a workable solution.

I too think $3.00 a person is overly optimistic. We have a large home haunt that has grown every year. Last year we had over 1500 visitors Halloween night, we collected $16 and some change in donations. We donate anything we get to a local charity so it isn't a big deal to us. We never expect to get any money and we are never disappointed. Perhaps your situation will be different but my experience with donations hasn't been fruitful.

I wish you the best of luck, let us know how it turns out for you.

Comment

All the above is right: It will probably work except that the donations will be lower than you hope. But hey, there is more to it than just the money. It's fun.
        www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

So what is the zoning classification for your property? You need to get your hands on a copy of the regulations and what you can and can not have in that zone. If it is only residential around you, then they can't "spot zone" as commercial. That is probably the case and why they said no. It's illegal to spot zone. But if it is right across the street or an adjacent property is commercial, then it's not spot zoning.

Once you read the allowable uses in the zoning book, then you may be able to find a way around it. Or sometime you can ask for a variance (sounds like you did that unofficially) that they can approve. Especially since it's a short term thing. In home businesses are something else you will need to look at. Maybe you can build a building & that would consider it to be "in house". Again depends on the allow uses. I would get an attorney. They will find a way through it if possible Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by spookhaven View Post
            So what is the zoning classification for your property? You need to get your hands on a copy of the regulations and what you can and can not have in that zone. If it is only residential around you, then they can't "spot zone" as commercial. That is probably the case and why they said no. It's illegal to spot zone. But if it is right across the street or an adjacent property is commercial, then it's not spot zoning.

Once you read the allowable uses in the zoning book, then you may be able to find a way around it. Or sometime you can ask for a variance (sounds like you did that unofficially) that they can approve. Especially since it's a short term thing. In home businesses are something else you will need to look at. Maybe you can build a building & that would consider it to be "in house". Again depends on the allow uses. I would get an attorney. They will find a way through it if possible Good luck.
            Thanks. I will check into that... I appreciate the help... I do have commercial property attaching mine but that act like they would make it hard on me.. Attorney might be the way..

Comment

A possible legal requirement

For legally accepting donations (I was told once) is that your donation bucket must be at the end of the show.. ?
              hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

As others have said, you have to find out exactly what your zoning is. You said you are on 13 acres. If it is zoned agricultural, for example, there may be loopholes that you can use. For example, I know of one person who wanted to put a haunt on his farm. He was denied due to zoning. So, he planted pumpkins and applied again citing the haunted house as part of his plan to sell pumpkins. While he clearly makes more from the haunted house than from the pumpkins, the county didn't care. They could check their box and approved his application. Not saying this is the route for you, simply that you have to figure out the rules and get creative.

Good luck! I hope you find a way to reopen.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                X