Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding an Investor

Hey guys!!
    I would like to know how you all found investors/money to get your haunts up and running.
    I am working on a business plan, and would like to find a charity to partner with, I have the knowledge, the support, just have no funds to start the ball rolling!
    Any help would be amazing!
    Not interested in debating credentials, or anything of the like, not my first rodeo LOL I'm just very curious as to the routes you took to get started financially
    Thanks!!!!
    Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Best advice....DONT.

Don't have friends become investors.
    Don't ruin your credit by pulling a loan (not like a bank or financial institution would support a seasonal business plan..they don't see it like we do).
    Don't borrow from family!

Start slow.
    It's good to have a business plan.
    It's good to know what your basic expenses will be.
    It's good to know your capabilities and the resources you have readily available.
    But it's even better to just do what you can afford as you can afford it. That way if you fail, your biggest loss is really the mental suffering from failure, but if you succeed you can rejoice in the mentality of knowing you did it and you did it right.

It's not about the money, it's about the ability to utilize your creative problem solving skills to the fullest.

I know your history on here and I know you have what it takes, but money ruins things QUICKLY. If you can't do it now, wait til you are in a situation where you can.

Develop obtainable short, medium, and long range goals, tackle them one at a time and do it at a pace that will not break your bank. Use your head and use what you can to climb your way to where you want to be.

Best of luck, and don't give up! It takes time my dear

Comment

thanks!

Thanks! Kinda the way I wanted to go anyhow.
      I am totally going slow, there is a thing as too big too soon.
      Thank you for the advice, and the confirmation that what little is in my head, is on the right track

Comment

I'm a big fan of the "Help send my kids to college" Charity...(just sayin')
        http://www.bigscaryshow.com
        http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Badger - I like that charity! LOL Also the "I like food and electricity" one too! LOL

Comment

I'm sort of in the same situation as you are currently in, but I feel that if you start with only what you can afford, how do you win back people who came your first year and first impressions weren't good ? I mean, let's say I open next year with a very limited haunt. People come, they like it, but not enough to come back the next year because we didn't "go big or go home" so to speak. Now, I understand there's always room for improvement and growth, but i also think there's such a thing as being completely prepared and bringing your A-game on your very first year. You've given me something to think about because I'm beginning to think that if I can't get this investor soon, we might be using our own money.....which isn't much. I just don't want to do this half-assed, excuse my language
            ~nail in the coffin~

**Crawford School of Terror**
            Connellsville, PA

Comment

In a way you are right. but at the same time, awesome haunts can be made cheaply too. Just because you throw money at it, and buy the biggest crap, doesn't mean you will be agreat haunt.
              I think, that if you have a scary haunt, that is well done (tons of tricks for cheap sweet stuff!!) you can be successful your first year, then build. If you ruch and do crap, people will think twice.
              The cost i am most worried about is the building, insurance and wall materials.
              I want one house, a kickass house, and pack as much awesome into it as possible, then leave room for additions.
              I'm getting tired of watching others achieve my dream, just because they have the funds. LOL
              If you have to use your own money, like was said above, use every resource to get free things, and don't skimp on the important stuff that protects your assets! Aat to dond make it scary, over anything else (which usually boils down to amazing actors.. luckily, I have a knack for cast mgmnt and training LOL)
              UGH... what to do?!?! LOL

Comment

Sorry, but for a successful haunt, the advertising costs more then anything you mentioned.....

These days, it is go big or go home.....Stew

Comment

Well I'll debate the go big or go home argument based on your targeted audience and what your market currently offers.

No one knows what is around you better than you do.

What is your market used to? What do they know? What have they been trained to enjoy?

Indoor? Outdoor? Tent? Building? Trail?

How many haunts surround you? Proximity?

Those are all questions you better know the answer to prior to trying to open.

As for insurance, Ken Donat is the bomb, a start up attraction with volunteers should expect to spend between $700-1000
                  As for building, do you need to be indoors? That is determined by what your market is trained to enjoy more based on what has and currently does exist.
                  As for wall panels, BUY THEM USED!! I have over 1000 4x8 wall panels, I might have built 80 from scratch, the rest? USED. Wall panels depreciate in value GREATLY especially plain black ones or ones with cruddy art on them. Prime used ones white, buy as many as you can for $5-15/piece and go to TOWN fitting them for your attraction.
                  My best score were 150 wall panels, single sided, for $2/ea and 2 seasons old! Now I use them as perimeter walls and I've converted a bunch into 4x8x8 storage containers for props and misc bulk supplies.

Money does NOT equal QUALITY.

Throw some money behind great concepts and you're golden, but throw a little money into EFFECTIVE concepts and they'll come back year after year!

Comment

We had to find several investors for our haunt because I still have a full time job. We talked to family and friends who led us to a couple groups who loved the idea. You simply have to dig around and you'll fine some people.

Comment

Originally posted by screamforadream View Post
                      Well I'll debate the go big or go home argument based on your targeted audience and what your market currently offers.

No one knows what is around you better than you do.

What is your market used to? What do they know? What have they been trained to enjoy?

Indoor? Outdoor? Tent? Building? Trail?

How many haunts surround you? Proximity?

Those are all questions you better know the answer to prior to trying to open.

As for insurance, Ken Donat is the bomb, a start up attraction with volunteers should expect to spend between $700-1000
                      As for building, do you need to be indoors? That is determined by what your market is trained to enjoy more based on what has and currently does exist.
                      As for wall panels, BUY THEM USED!! I have over 1000 4x8 wall panels, I might have built 80 from scratch, the rest? USED. Wall panels depreciate in value GREATLY especially plain black ones or ones with cruddy art on them. Prime used ones white, buy as many as you can for $5-15/piece and go to TOWN fitting them for your attraction.
                      My best score were 150 wall panels, single sided, for $2/ea and 2 seasons old! Now I use them as perimeter walls and I've converted a bunch into 4x8x8 storage containers for props and misc bulk supplies.

Money does NOT equal QUALITY.

Throw some money behind great concepts and you're golden, but throw a little money into EFFECTIVE concepts and they'll come back year after year!
                      That's one hell of a deal! We own our building, it's indoors obvously....we plan on having our queue line inside as well (it's an old school-basement has old cement gymnasium which goes perfectly with our theme). We've had a "kid haunt" there a few years ago so we know insurance wise what we're looking at. But that's it. That's all we have. No walls, no props, nada. Were hoping our investor can pull thru soon so we can get to work building walls but damn at the price u got we would be set!!
                      ~nail in the coffin~

**Crawford School of Terror**
                      Connellsville, PA

Comment

Yup! You gotta remember, people only sell for two reasons, the first is, they already made their money on what they're selling and are flexible on the price because the money was already made, or the second being that they failed and need the money desperately so you can talk them down and point out every flaw and whine and moan until you get what you want because it's such a niche market that who else is ACTUALLY going to buy their stuff?? Either way, there's always a way to get a deal and with these forums and the Facebook groups for haunt buying/trading/selling you can get deals from anywhere in the country! Every penny counts, never pay asking price. Non-profit/charity/for profit attractions are all a business and everyone needs to make money to keep on keeping on, so there's never a deal too far away to risk passing up on. I spent $10k last year (including shipping) on a single shipment of wall panels, double sided, plain black, 1/2" treated plywood, for as many as could fit on the truck, ended up paying around $29/panel, but I couldn't build them that cheap and it saved me a TON of time on building. WORTH EVERY PENNY. And made a great network for future transactions.

Never pass an opportunity!

Never think "oh that's too far away"

A penny saved on the east coast is just as valuable as a penny saved on the west coast!

Comment

Seriously?

Originally posted by screamforadream View Post
                          Best advice....DONT.

It's not about the money, it's about the ability to utilize your creative problem solving skills to the fullest.

money ruins things QUICKLY.
                          Now this IMHO is not the way to advise someone on starting a haunt business. Open your own haunt for free. Not happening.

It's every bit about the money. Every single cent you start out with is important. And a person should utilize their creative skills on how to best spend that money because it aint commin free.

Now if you:
                          own the building/tent OR someone gives it to you, okay.
                          find building materials for free, okay.
                          find props for free, okay.
                          find lighting and special effects for free, okay.
                          find utilities for free, okay.
                          find insurance for free, okay.
                          buy off the fire marshals for free, okay.
                          find free security, okay.
                          find actors with their own costumes and make up that will work for free, okay.
                          get advertisement for free, okay.

But this is not feasable in majority of people's lives. So pumping them up to believe it's that easy is not right.
                          Yes, you incourage them. But the absolute reality has got to be told.

"No money" ruins things a heck of a lot faster.
                          Once word gets around about a lousy haunt, it takes double the effort and time to reverse that image.

How in the world does "money ruins things" when you can't live, function or operate without it?
                          Tom
                          Creator of the Dungeon
                          WWW.BRICKTOWNAMUSEMENT.COM

Comment

Know what you all mean

We lost our building at the last minute this year, and ended up losing advertising dollars spent for the season and having to purchase shipping containers for storing the haunt until we find a new location. We are looking at the same thing - I have limited funds for buying land and building from scratch in 2015, so might have to take a few years off and save diligently or find an alternative form of investment to get us up and running. Business case is done, and it looks great. Just need to find the money now! Banks will give a business loan but be prepared to pay back the loan in 5 years or less. More than a mortgage for most. What I did find out from one o f the banks is they have loans for farmers, and as long as I am growing some kind of crops, I can get a great loan. Still have to pay it back but over a longer term, so I am thinking of growing pumpkins on part of the yet purchased land.

I am leary of outside investors but open to it if it means getting the haunt open. But I would rather be self funded as we have been over the last 5 years.
                            Travis "Big T" Russell
                            President
                            Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Working...
                            X