No announcement yet.

How would you do this texture on walls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you do this texture on walls?

We are doing a new indoor queue area this year themed as a military bunker. Since people will be in line and I know how they pick at the walls, etc. I am leery of using foam as a substrate.

How would you do a concrete coating with 'form lines' like this?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417922304.559347.jpg
    Brett Hays, Director
    Fear Fair
    www.fearfair.com

Well if your looking for top quality and 2nd to none durabilty without skipping corners I would go Arcusstone on top of the foam.
    I would also use 2lb foam. It will last for years with alot of abuse....

We are building an outdoor 28ft x 43ft boulder waterfall wall outdoors in the winter.
    The waterfall produces 14,000 gallons per hour down this wall...

They have an adhesive to be applied to the foam first then the arcusstone.

The arcusstone also has an additive that makes it 5 times stronger.

However, you might have to take their class before they will sell it to you. Trust me its worth it.....

thx,

Stew
    Last edited by Darksidestew; 12-07-2014, 08:34 AM.

Comment

If its a bunker, why not stack sand bags to the ceiling? Fire marshall should have no problem with the sand bags...

just my 2 cents.....
      stew

Comment

Originally posted by Darksidestew View Post
        If its a bunker, why not stack sand bags to the ceiling? Fire marshall should have no problem with the sand bags...

just my 2 cents.....
        stew
        Because bags will inevitably get cut and then it will be a beach scene. lol. I have learned the hardway that our queue areas where people may be standing for periods of time pretty much have to be built like jail cells.
        Brett Hays, Director
        Fear Fair
        www.fearfair.com

Comment

Good point.....

Stew

Comment

Monster Mud

I've seen stone/concrete done using plywood or OSB and monster mud. Take a router and rout out the mortar lines, then apply monster mud on top of it to give it the right look and texture. It's a fairly cost effective way to get the right look on it, I was surprised how good it turned out.
            Mike Quill
            Fear Town Haunted House

Comment

sand bags

Disney uses sandbags everywhere, but they harden them with something. Looks great and very durable, just don't know what they use.
              Joe Phillips
              The Shallow Grave
              Winter Haven FL
              http://www.theshallowgrave.com/

Comment

Hey Stew, thanks for the info on the ArcusStone stuff. I called the company and you have to be trained in order to purchase the product. Its a Limestone/cement dry mixture and then you add their special liquid additive. I assuming you apply it like any other coating. I am going to take the class they offer and then try it out. It looks pretty cool and is not that expensive. Do you have any pics of how and what you have used this on?

Sue
                http://www.GraystoneHaunt.com

Comment

Hi Sue,

You will never use anything else again.....

Here are a few things we did with it Octopus Photo Op and Dr Sues Trees, two giant 23ftx43ft Rock Mountain walls with Waterfall outside in the winter..

We are just finishing the mountains by xmas....

here are some pics...

Stew10398052_280463652132194_838746787660836125_n.jpgIMG_0950.JPGIMG_0947.JPGUmountaintitled.jpgmain photo.jpg
                  Last edited by Darksidestew; 12-10-2014, 06:31 AM.

Comment

mini bar4.JPGIMG_1084.JPGIMG_1098.JPG10614244_10203194697683130_4022614635951090965_n.jpg1549270_893871507290569_645175932534444101_n.jpg
                    Last edited by Darksidestew; 12-09-2014, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Great advice. Another quicker and fast approach might to be do simple cinder block vac form and then haze it with some concrete to add some texture.

I could also see you easily taking strips of foam shaving them different levels to add some separation then gluing to the wall then adding the arcusstone

Either way the walls to me seem rather bland in that bunker because a German bunker by nature is simply tons of concrete. I would go for something a bit more complex to add to the scenic. All German bunkers are nothing but poured concrete... you might add some re-bar to it here and there like the concrete eroded to add some layers.

Larry
                      Larry Kirchner
                      President
                      www.HalloweenProductions.com
                      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Holy Crap Stew!! That's fantastic work!! OK now you've done it.....I won't be able to wait until they offer the class. ARG!!!!! Looks like you apply it like you would any other hard coating.. Where are you located by the way?? Thanks so much for posting the pics. Beautiful!

Sue

Comment

Well I wish it was me...Im just a helper...John at XtremeCreators is the artist....

Anyhow, I could possibly get it ordered for you, or send a sample. How much did you want to buy?

Thx

Stew

Comment

Stew, I've sent you a PM

Thanks
                            Sue

Comment

The look...

The look is supposed to be concrete poured against wood forms, transferring a negative version of the wood pattern onto the concrete wall. Sometimes concrete squeezes between the boards and produces protruding dimensional lines.

On movie sets and TV shows, they draw the lines on the wall, and then take a mortar bag and squirt out mortar / stucco / joint compound / caulk onto the lines and then take a tool and press the edges down some so it looks like a thin amount squeezed between boards. You could probably use caulk or something to simulate this. Could also use textured paint first to give it a rough texture.

But lets's take a hard look at what that picture looks like, and that is it looks like concrete colored wood. You could just screw rough boards to the walls and paint it to look like concrete. Again you could calk in between some of the boards and smear joint compound / caulk into the small spaces between boards so it looks solid. Many concrete forms are made out of cheap plywood sections, so you could cut that up and attach to walls and paint to look like concrete. Stains, drips, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X