Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temporary Venue Attractions and Charity Haunts: Can we talk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary Venue Attractions and Charity Haunts: Can we talk?

Hey All,

Randal Bogathy (RandalB get it?) here. I coordinate (and come up with ideas, build stuff, do wiring, recruit volunteers, etc,etc, etc) a 100% charity haunt in Cedar Lake, Indiana. We have been using temporary venues to put on our 100% charity haunt for 6 years. Like most of our ilk, I started out as a home haunter with a yard display and was recruited by a neighbor to "make a haunted house" for the charity she volunteered for.

Our program has been steadily growing over the years and some new things we did for 2014:
    1) 13 Rooms (10k sq ft of decorated space) with connecting hallways
    2) Queue line entertainment
    3) Low voltage lighting throughout
    4) Independent Sound systems for individual rooms
    5) Digital video effects
    6) CC camera coverage
    7) Photo op at exit (Selfie Station)
    8) Comment Cards for self improvement and Ideas

We had a budget of $1500 and operated Four nights: 17,18,24 and 25 October from 7-9:30 PM. We had a net donation to our sponsoring charity of over $5000. We charge $5 per guest.

Utilizing a school gym presents some very challenging issues both Technological and Logistical.

Logistically speaking; Gym teachers and Athletic directors don't like to give up their space for very long. We were able to begin loading equipment in and building the haunt on October 14th at 3:00 PM with the opening of the attraction at 7:00 PM on the 17th.

On the 25th, after closing at 9:30 PM, we had to strike the attraction and remove everything for School on Monday the 27th. We were clear of the venue by 1:00 PM on Sunday the 26th.

Technologically speaking, we had to bring all the necessary support equipment and build the attraction keeping within fire code. We are inspected by State and local fire marshals with permits required to operate. We operated with no variances and 100% compliance with both fire and building codes.

As far as the entertainment goes, I think we put on a heck of a show. We use 100% volunteer actors that we recruit starting in August and train them along the way. We actually attracted a review group, Horror Tourers this year and got top ratings from them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXXFikH9Qj0

So, now that I've run off at the keyboard long enough, I'd love to discuss the use of Temporary Venues and Charity Haunts with you guys. If you have questions, fire away. If you have suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em.

Our program has jumped a lot of hurdles over the last 6 years with a lot more to come. Looking forward to sharing with the forum

RandalB

Hi, Randal, super new to the site here as well. We have been planning a mobile haunt, starting with one trailer and hoping to set down in the middle of town somewhere, near some traffic and going to (hopefully) throw a nice little show on. We're doing two things... two different charities. We plan to do a charge of $6 or $5 +1 non perishable food item. We'll be donating all food and some proceeds to the Food Bank, and the rest of profits will be going to the Angel Tree here in town. They put up this tree in the mall and put families and children in need for the holidays. I've recently been homeless myself, for many months. Living in my truck, hitting up the soup kitchen and seeing that part of life first hand. So it only made sense that when I get back into the game that I do it for helping others.

No, we're not 100% non profit, however it really depends on how you look at things. The TRUTH about working is, 8 hrs of work for 8 hrs of pay is NOT profit (so technically it's unlawful to have to pay taxes on that, but that's a different story and a hugely debated concept) BUT, the fact remains that's not profit. What we do, is we are fronting the cost of the trailer, props etc. Doing volunteer actors (only about 5 or 6 total needed outside of our group) The agreements are a standard percent split between the two charities (not evenly on the cash because Food Bank is getting the canned goods). The rest goes to paying off the trailer (rented or purchasing) and bonuses / incentives given to volunteers if we do well and anything is left over, it goes directly back into the haunt, to expand and grow of course.

There are a few perks but basically, no profit from this haunt. The haunt won't be buying hot rods, big toys, funding nights out on the town etc. However, if we do grow big enough I'd like to branch it out to where I can use one haunt for pure charity and one haunt to help pay bills. Remember, I'm coming out of a recent homeless situation and I've learned to live very frugal-like. I do not need exotic things in my life anymore. Perhaps a hot rod later on but that's about it. Even it will be for marketing the haunts, lmao.

Glad to see others out that are doing charity haunts, especially on these boards. It seems that most of the folks here are non-charity and it makes it hard for guys like us to feel "fit in". But there's not a thing wrong with that! I'd give anything to have a hugely successful haunt like most people here that's sustaining themselves well. The American Dream, right?

Hacksaw.

Comment

Hacksaw, quick question, your haunt is to be just one trailer? If so you are looking at more than a few issues to deal with. One trailer will not really make a viable haunt, you are talking 400 or LESS sq. ft. Approximately 1/3 of your space will be necessary as walkway for your audience doesn't leave much for the actual haunt. We use a minimum of 6 trailers AND the interior courtyard to garnish enough space.Remember you are only dealing with a space 8 feet wide. We have to be VERY creative
      R&J Productions
      Las Vegas, NV
      www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

RJ, I understand where you are coming from and I appreciate the concern. Yes, we have to be very ... nay, EXTREMELY creative. Allow me to make a few points of where I'm coming from.

I have followed Melissa and Jason's videos of their CarnEvil Manor up north, of which they charge $5 for their pair of trailers. Yes, I understand they now have a perm. location with outdoor sets now as well, but they also charge more for the home location. $20 I believe. (they are charity as well)

I also have worked extensively on a pair of designs. One with two very interactive rooms, almost simulating a "SawEsk" kind of set, allowing either 1.5 minutes to 2 min's to achieve their way out of the rooms. One is the first room (by front door) and other has an emergency door in plain sight. I understand we can't "lock" doors, fire marshal understanding, they only THINK they have to achieve the goals to get out. (this is all the detail I can afford to share on these two rooms)

We also have a secondary plan of attack, tight walk ways, and yet not rooms, but cubby holes for small scenes and distractions.

I have seen the "Cold Storage" and "Buried Alive" haunt trailers and also know that they were somewhat successful, at least at a few events. 1. They spent thousands on effects and building, vinyl wrapping etc, including close to $15k (guessing) in just the trailers, we will not have that kind of overhead. 2. They are shorter than 53' and even shorter than they claim as the bunk area over the hitch isn't even passable / walkable. 3. They are extremely tight and narrow, small cubby holes for scenes. My second plan sort of mimicks their attack plan as well. We will be able to replicate many great ideas to give guests a fun experience for about 6 minutes.

I am not only expecting a slower turn out because of being what we are and our first year, but also counting on it. We don't want huge lines that take 1. 5 hours of waiting. Even with a low attendance we should be able to reach our goals of helping others with food and donations for the holidays as well as purchase / build another trailer to add to it.

Ultimately, yes we'd love to be able to achieve your size of haunt, that is in our 10 year plan. However, I personally do not wish to have it that big. I'd like to keep a smaller, more simpler setup than that, however we'll cross that bridge when we get there, I may change my mind! Especially if I ever make it out to your event.

By the way, I sent you a PM, I saw your response here and no reply on PM's, wondering if you received it. Thanks.
        Last edited by Hacksaw; 01-19-2015, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X