Independent contractor pros and cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independent contractor pros and cons

starting a new haunt in 2015 and wanted to know if having actors as independent contractors is the way to go

thanks

-V

It's a lot cheaper from what I understand, but I'd love to hear how other haunts do this too.
    Tanner Phillips
    Mastermind
    The Darkest Hour
    http://darkesthourhaunt.com

Comment

Please investigate thoroughly with your accountant, but to the best of my knowledge, it's not the correct way to go. It's cheaper, yes, but I believe the stipulations like independent contractors needing to carry their own liability insurance, keeps it from being the correct way. There were some very thourgh threads on here, but I can't locate them at this moment.

A couple key points that make actors employees and not allowed to be classified as independent contractors, is usually the fact that you control their schedule, and provide them with the "tools'' to complete their job.

Doing a google search found some interesting articles. http://www.nylaborandemploymentlawre...unt-employers/ Apparently this is a huge issue, not just in our industry.
      Brian Warner
      Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
      Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
      Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

State laws vary. There is no standard in the federal courts last time I researched it. I could do independent contractors in one city with no licensing requirement. The city next to it, I had to have each independent contractor have their own biz license....so I had to do something else for them.

You didnt set schedules for them .. you had jobs and the time slots the jobs could be done in. They picked . Never were they called employees. Never were they fired...their service was no longer needed. They signed contracts fitting the needs required by law at that time for that city/state.

Check your state/city laws!
        Last edited by tonguesandwich; 12-20-2014, 12:46 AM.

Comment

If you are paying your actors or staff , try this set up something with a local temp agencies and hire them through that and that way all you do is pay one person and they handle all the other paperwork like taxes and insurance and if something happens to them they are covered and you just pay a small fee to get all that aggravation to some one else to deal with so you will have more time to deal with your haunt.

Comment

Hmmm... That's actually a really good idea twizted! What percentage do these agencies usually take off the top?
            Tanner Phillips
            Mastermind
            The Darkest Hour
            http://darkesthourhaunt.com

Comment

Originally posted by TheDarkestHour View Post
              Hmmm... That's actually a really good idea twizted! What percentage do these agencies usually take off the top?

You have to shop around .....it can vary by area and company ....

Comment

thanks for the info.. really good idea to use a temp agency

thank you !

-V

Comment

Most agencies lie to the general public about how much they take of their "earnings"

However after dealing with 2 locally myself, I have discovered they take more than what they tell people. Generally it's $2/hr per person. ($1 is what they tell people)

But this may be rare as I can only attest for the two I've dealt with.

Comment

Working...
                  X