I could use your input! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I could use your input! :)

i guys! I would like to ask a few questions....
    1. What would you change about your acting staff and why?
    2. What would you change about your cast manager and why?
    3. As an actor, what would you change about your managers/haunt?
    Private message is cool, your secret is safe!
    I'm doing research on the needs of the haunt community, in my area of knowledge, so I can better gear my skills towards you guys!
    thanks!!!
    Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Tough question! I think the biggest thing is you are always looking for more of those actors who would do this for free because they love it that much. Not saying not to pay them however saying there is a group out there so dedicated they would do it even if it was 110% volunteer. I would also like to find more character actors, the kind of actor who is theatrical. St Louis like MOST US cities isn't a movie city. Sometimes you might wonder why Atlanta, or 13th Gate in Baton Rouge can do such incredible make up... well not to take away anything from them but they are in cities with thriving movie industries so good people are easier to find. So obviously I'd love to find more make up experts like some movie city but again not easy.

I think lastly I would like to do more off season training to build up that sense of dedication and commitment to the attractions we have.

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I worked in a haunt for free last year, simply out of love for the art.
      Tanner Phillips
      Mastermind
      The Darkest Hour
      http://darkesthourhaunt.com

Comment

Not a lot for me I have my actor manager hook up with a real pro to mentor her and it really paid off. This person really gave my manager the confidence to do a great job. Any body that is looking to get help training actors or your managers I have the perfect person for you. Thanks for all your help this year Katie. Killer Katie is one of the best around so make sure to catch her class at Trans World this year.
        Phatman

Comment

You missed this, Larry.

Hire some old odd-ball geezzers,no make up needed! They can show up a minute before opening and be all ready to go!
          i once hired two local old guys that many young girls here were already terrified of (For no real reason)
          The one guy had smoked his lungs out, so he had a real deep voice that would fade off to a mere whisper, a deep, raspy whisper.
          Some old guys want to do things "Their Way' but showing up carrying a real hunting rifle . wearing a Casper the friendly ghost kid's costume that actually looks like a KKK uniform (add rifle)and "NOO!" from Jim.
          One time the older guy was standing up front out side of the ticket window. two women bought their tickets and couldn't figure out how to stick them on (they are sticker tickets)
          He took her ticket,peeled off the paper backing and them opened his hand wide, placed the tickey in his palm and them proceeded to cop -a-feel on her breast as he applied the sticky ticket!
          He never got to be near the ticket window again! (Although she seemed to enjoy the "ticketing" experience) He honestly seemed oblivious to what he had just done.
          Last edited by Jim Warfield; 01-10-2015, 03:32 AM.
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Thanks!!

Austin, thank you SO much for the kind words, I really appreciate it!!

Comment

Thanks to you guys for your responses so far!

Larry,
              I have a lot of experience in actor retention, as well as a pre-season training plan that really works!
              There is a key to getting "volunteers" Hire me, and I will get your cast manager all set to create amazing staff members LOL
              Finding amazing makeup artists isn't as easy in non movie areas, but that just means you have to look harder and find they untapped talent!

Comment

Actors

I agree with Larry! If I could find about 20 people liked myself that liked to be at the haunt because it is fun, that would relieve a lot of stress. People would show up on time and it would make my life easier! However, that's not really the case. I mean I have a few that are dedicated, but they are not natural born actors. So last year I made an appearance at our local theater to recruit "actors". It worked. I got a coupled people from there to help. However they are used to performing on a stage, not in the dark woods. Lol. They got better by the end of the season though. I am also going to look to our high schools drama department.

Comment

Ravens Grin-A different sort of employee.

most actors here have to do a lot of talking, they are leading small groups through here and are trying to entertain them. A small scare happens here and there.
                  The lights are all "on"and we play for fun,not life altering psychotic fearful experiences. This is maybe a reason we do have so many customers who suffered extreme scares in their lives.
                  The guides do enjoy quite a bit of pure freedom to say what they want to say. Many first or second season employees often use my script,then they begin adding or subtracting from it. The second thing many of them do about their second or third season is to make fun of me all the way through the house, since i own it, i built it,my artwork is to be seen throughout.
                  I am a big boy, I can handle people laughing at me, I love hearing them laugh!
                  The main difficulty is finding people who have enough self-confidence that they will speak in front of a group of strangers. After that hurdle everything else just drops into place.
                  Maybe if they wore a mask or extensive make up this insecurity might be abated? Maybe if we turned off most of the lights?
                  No. i like it just fine the way we do it.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                  X