Location Specific Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Location Specific Question

Please read and post your opinions if you have a moment to do so.

I (we) are building a mobile, charity haunt and have been going over the locations. We have a possible location, right on a highway, and the landlord seems very interested and I think this is going to be a "go".... in case it is (and yes we are prepared for a "no" to come up, but this is just the beginning of our hunt..) I need to see what you guys' opinions would be. As it is, it appears there is a haunted house location down the road. And I mean, literally just down the road. We were scouting out from our location and not even a mile down the road is a place that looks like it is a haunted house, although small, (as in it may not even be as big as our mobile floor plan) it does look like it's still in business. We are somewhat new to this town and as far as we know there's not a haunt in this town. We knew there used to be a charity haunt but they've been off the radar for a few years now. Rumor has it that they attempted a zombie shoot type of attraction but heard very little about it, and one of the "rumors" were that someone got hurt and they're no longer doing anything. This isn't the place I'm inquiring about, just to be clear. So as it stands, I'm pretty sure we'd be the only haunt INSIDE town (about 80k) and one just outside of it if the other place opens. I heard that when they open they usually have lots of radio advertisements.

I don't want to do anything immoral or anything and this is starting to get me a bit stressed worrying about it.

What is your opinion about setting up a haunt that's literally just a mile from another? Technically I think it's not even in town, but just outside of it. Is this something that you guys say is a "no do" zone? or is it actually something people would say is preferred, as it would be seeing traffic from the other haunt?
    Last edited by Hacksaw; 01-26-2015, 07:27 PM.

Simplest answer is to reverse roles. What would YOU think if you are established at this location and someone else moves in a mile away??

We had a similar situation a few years ago. We are mobile, we set up and another mobile haunt moves in a mile down the road. He comes over to make friends, see about cross promoting. Problem here was that he was also using a variation of our web site! We are www.lasvegashaunts.com, he was promoting www.lasvegashaunts666.com. His haunt was Cellblock 666, which he also owned the URL for, but promoted the lasvegashaunts version. Claimed he was not trying to feed off my audience, yet in conversation he stated that earlier he had heard we might be at one location and he was inquiring about a spot down the block. Not impacting us on purpose yet we move several miles away, and he follows!!

People did go to his haunt thinking it was us, but when they got there they saw a huge difference in presentation and many asked if it was affiliated. When he said no, they left! His move backfired, we were busy, he had NO traffic, closed down the week of Halloween!

I mention this because you must see how your move is interpreted by not just the other haunt owner, but by the public as well. If he has a good reputation will you be considered the interloper? If he has bad rep will it keep people away from your attraction? If he closes it may still not be good, people could confuse you with the closed haunt. "No don't bother I heard they closed".

If other options are available, maybe consider them first and think though ALL ramifications.
    Last edited by RJ Productions; 01-27-2015, 04:06 PM.
    R&J Productions
    Las Vegas, NV
    www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Well I found out that they are still in business and plan to open. I also heard a lot of what the public says about the haunt. I have gotten SEVERAL pieces of info since asking about it. 1. They do an average of about 9k to 11k of people per year. (Ex actor) 2. Most of the public has heard of a rumor that they have a bad rep (involving drugs) and 3. The only "good" praises they get, are apparently those that are close to them. Many people have told us that they went every year, even though they keep saying they do not like the price, the haunt or the people.. said it takes about 3-4 minutes to get through it, they charge $10+ and seem to be more worried about making money than making a decent show.

I know this is repeating the rumor, but we're suppose to be all haunt-family here and I found this prudent to the situation / conversation. I have heard these things from people who (I know ALLEGEDLY, but still very knowledgeable) have worked / acted there, and from a lot of people who have been there as patrons. When you ask about it openly and publicly, well, I've not heard anything positive about it thus far.

I kind of feel for them, in a bit, and I haven't even met them. I try to not make judgements on things and people w/o my own experiences, so I'll just "nod my head and smile" at it. But... I can't help but to think about your points you made, if they truly are not a fan of the public, and IF any of the rumormill's story's are true, will that be a good impact on my haunt? I am hoping to hear from a landlord of a big business in town soon. The area I've had my eyes on is basically on the corner of two of the most busiest streets here in town. 100k people a day drive by this place according to numbers given to me by a survey of traffic. HUGE parking lot, paved, 100's and 100's of spaces but never ever full. I'll try other places of interest first and make a decision on this 'other' location if that bridge gets here.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

no big deal

I was talking with a haunter that was in a rual area last year at TW and they got a big surprise when the haunt down the road shut down. they thought that their atendance would go up that year and found that it went down. the cause of this is that people did not want to come out for just for one haunt they wanted to make the trip a two-for type of night. If you are willing to put their fliers out at your exit and they do the same for you, it could drive more business to both. what should you care when they have exited your haunt you have got your money already and you would be diving business their way and visa versa.
        Phatman

Comment

Thanks.

I spoke with an old business partner and he said I shouldn't worry about it, especially if that's the last resort option. He said "It's business, man. And EVERY business man, or woman does whatever's best for business. Sounds like you could be in a good spot there, especially since most of the people coming will be passing your place to get to the other place."

I like the idea of the flyers, but I seriously doubt that they'll want to cross promote with flyers. Someone I spoke to yesterday already said they were suppose to do that for another haunt a few years back and they laughed as they threw them in the trash as the people left. Again, IF this rumor is true, and another haunt tried to befriend them and help each other out and they treated them that way (which only adds to the mountain of bad reviews I've been getting), then I may just leave it alone and let them "Shoot themselves in the foot"

I was told just about 20 minutes ago in fact, that this person used to know one of the guys that worked there (he passed) and he said he was always talking about how shady these people were and the ONLY reason why they still have people is because they're the only ones here. Again, this place is more and more becoming a back burner pick. We have one solid place to set down at, but I'm looking for the best option. Lot rent is still in negotiation but it's way up in the air at this point.

Thanks again for the input.

Comment

Working...
          X