Transworld Seminars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transworld Seminars

Hey any advice on which seminars stand out? Really need to know which speakers do you think will deliver the goods. From my experience seminars are hit and miss so any advice for a budget minded person would be helpful. Thank you way in advance. Planning on signing up late this week.

What are you looking to learn about? That would be a good start to try and figure out the best seminars for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ken Jones

Comment

Seminars

I too am interested in taking some of the seminars. This is my first Haunt Convention and I am new to the Haunt scene. I am also in the process of developing a haunted attraction in my local home town of Southern Maryland this upcoming season. I have signed up for the VIP pass as an attendee. I am looking at the following classes:

Wed: Tour and Speed Seminar

Thurs: CHAOS Safety Sem. 8:30-12:30
      Haunt Attrac. Actor Mng 12:45-2:45

Fri: Newcomers Breakfast 7:45-9:00
      Low Budget Marketing 10:15-11:15
      How to build 11:30-12:30
      Design outside the box 2:00-3:00
      Halloween Themed Agritourism 4:15-5:15

Sat: Safety & Security for Hayrides 10:15-11:15 OR
      Incr. Rev. w/ paintball & Shoot... 10:15-11:15

Mind blowing set pieces & hnd prps 12:45-1:45
      Killer Costume 2:00-3:00
      How to make money frm haunt 11:30-12:30
      Top 10 Scares you need in ur haunt 3:15-4:45

Sun: Low Budget Haunting: Tricks and tips 9:00-10:00

Long list Right? I just want to learn as much as I can to make an educated decision. So my question is the same are these or any other classes recommended for someone in my position?
      Thanks in advance!

Comment

jdbeckwith,

Were you at HauntCon?
        If you are new to the haunt scene, and looking to start a haunted attraction this year, your best bet may be to hire a haunted attraction consultant.
        I'd weigh everything you plan to spend on tradeshow registrations, travel, education, etc. against the cost of a dedicated consultant.
        If you can afford both, more power to you.

my .02
        Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
        http://frightinfalcon.com

Comment

My 02,

I unfortunately did not make it to Haunt Con this year. This will be my first show. I will look into a consultant; however, I like to be as hands on as possible for my own knowledge. I am very much looking forward to attending. Now to find a hotel!!

JD

Comment

I'm doing a speed seminar and a seminar about How to Create the Ultimate Screampark. If you own a farm, or a multi haunt attraction come to my seminar. If you've never been to St Louis during Halloween season I have a massive SCREAMPARK and this year we'll be up to 13 haunted houses in one location.

So come by my seminar and I'll teach you a few things on how to build and create the ultimate screampark.

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Larry,
              That is awesome. As it is one of the seminars that I am signing up for. I paid for the VIP
              Pass today and am waiting on choosing the three free seminars included in that VIP pass. After that I will sign up for the remaining that I told you about in the earlier post the other day. I am very excited to attend this function and meet as many people as I can. I plan on arriving Tuesday afternoon or evening.

Tnx
              JD

Comment

Hope to see you there...

We own a screampark here in St Louis its called CREEPYWORLD and this coming year it will have 13 haunts in one location.

Its HUGE!!!

I've learned a lot of does and don't s over the years so I'll be trying my best to help you along. Its not just for haunts with outdoor haunts but haunts inside can also be screamparks if you are building it for multiple attractions.

Larry
                Larry Kirchner
                President
                www.HalloweenProductions.com
                www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

We've signed up for your seminar and several others. Last year I would say it was about 50/50 on good seminars opposed to bad ones. Some of the speakers seemed more promotional or just didn't know much. Just an opinion. They need to screen some of these speakers better I think. I look at it like this hopefully the good ones outweigh the bad ones.

Comment

What's the consensus on doing the combo bus tour and speed seminars on Wednesday?

Also can anyone look at the list of seminars I posted above and tell me if they are good, bad and even worth paying for?

Tnx

Comment

Seminar list

Having been the new guy about 6 years ago, I feel your pain. The seminars can be hit and miss. If you are really new to this here is my advice.

Unless you are going to do a hayride as your primary venue, skip it.
                      For get paintball starting out. Focus on your main event ( the haunt) and focus on that. Make that totally awesome and forget about trying to do everything.
                      Safety is #1 so I would take that in.
                      A great haunt is made up of killer actors and characters. So focus lots of attention on that.
                      I am a absolute detail nut and spend thousands on sets and design. It is my favorite part of the whole thing. But it can be overwhelming. You can't learn much from a 1 hour seminar. I would go see some great haunts and talk to designers at the show. That will get you farther. I have a bunch of detail videos that I bought from Larry. I would rent them to you as I use them for reference from time to time.
                      Do you have any staff? Bring them along and put them in charge of something. For example, Bring your staff manager and make Him take the acting class/costume class. As an owner, you CANT do it alone. Empower your people. You should focus on the big picture. Safety/marketing/ and work the show floor. Lots to see and learn there.

Lastly, unless you have a huge budget and staff, you are not going to be the next Darkness,13th gate, Netherworld overnight. Spend some good time on the show floor and meet some of these people. For the most part we are pretty cool and very open. Spend time networking and asking vendors questions. Go into this show with a plan. In other words, you should know what size you have to work with, what your theme is, what your market is, who is around you and what they are doing.

hope that helps. I'm no genius but I have pulled this off for awhile now and even make a profit.

Buck
                      Capt.Chaos
                      Fear Asylum Haunted House
                      Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jdbeckwith View Post
                        My 02,

I unfortunately did not make it to Haunt Con this year. This will be my first show. I will look into a consultant; however, I like to be as hands on as possible for my own knowledge. I am very much looking forward to attending. Now to find a hotel!!

JD
                        Good luck finding a hotel with in walking distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Marr Branch View Post
                          Good luck finding a hotel with in walking distance.
                          Yeah I got a hotel several miles away. So a simple bus or metro ride will get me back and forth.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Chaos View Post
                            Having been the new guy about 6 years ago, I feel your pain. The seminars can be hit and miss. If you are really new to this here is my advice.

Unless you are going to do a hayride as your primary venue, skip it.
                            For get paintball starting out. Focus on your main event ( the haunt) and focus on that. Make that totally awesome and forget about trying to do everything.
                            Safety is #1 so I would take that in.
                            A great haunt is made up of killer actors and characters. So focus lots of attention on that.
                            I am a absolute detail nut and spend thousands on sets and design. It is my favorite part of the whole thing. But it can be overwhelming. You can't learn much from a 1 hour seminar. I would go see some great haunts and talk to designers at the show. That will get you farther. I have a bunch of detail videos that I bought from Larry. I would rent them to you as I use them for reference from time to time.
                            Do you have any staff? Bring them along and put them in charge of something. For example, Bring your staff manager and make Him take the acting class/costume class. As an owner, you CANT do it alone. Empower your people. You should focus on the big picture. Safety/marketing/ and work the show floor. Lots to see and learn there.
                            Lastly, unless you have a huge budget and staff, you are not going to be the next Darkness,13th gate, Netherworld overnight. Spend some good time on the show floor and meet some of these people. For the most part we are pretty cool and very open. Spend time networking and asking vendors questions. Go into this show with a plan. In other words, you should know what size you have to work with, what your theme is, what your market is, who is around you and what they are doing.

hope that helps. I'm no genius but I have pulled this off for awhile now and even make a profit.

Buck

Buck, thank you for taking the time to reply. I will unfortunately be attending the show alone this year. I have been putting together a plan on all my questions to be answered and I will definetly be networking as much as possible. Will you be attending the show. I would be interested in seeing the detail videos you have. I will be arriving in town on Tuesday night. And hitting the tour bus and speed seminars on Wednesday morning. Thanks again for the great advice and I hope to see you there.

JB

Comment

I'm one of the seminar instructors in the Actor Mgmt Symposium, and would very much love for you to ask questions, and find me anytime of the floor I'm headed into the consultant side of this awesome business, so make sure to find me! I've been cast managing and training for over 13 yrs
                              Do Vegan Zombies eat heads of lettuce?

Comment

Working...
                              X