Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone see the documentary "Hell House" (about Christian "judgement" houses"?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone see the documentary "Hell House" (about Christian "judgement" houses"?)

I just watched the documentary "Hell House" about the Fundamentalists "Judgement Houses" that "compete" with haunted attractions. I enjoyed it a lot and was curious if anyone else saw it or experienced the actual Hell Houses?

There used to be one here in town, and once someone called to ask what our haunt cost and when we told them $15, they scoffed and said, "The Hell house is only $5!" My response was automatic: "Then by all means, you should go to it." (Oh, how I wish I had seen the look on their faces when they got inside..."

That being said, I admire the degree of dedication these groups have to their project. In many ways, what they produce is actually scary, even if it is politically incorrect. (What kid wants to be told they are pregnant, or have AIDS, or are pregnant AND have AIDS?) It's the hard sell at the end where they try to get everyone to calm down enough to get "saved".

I wish I had gone to that one here in town, but it was the season, so of course, I couldn't get away. The CURSE of the haunting biz!

If you saw the documentary and have thoughts, or have any experiences going to the actual hell houses, I for one would love to hear them...

And if you haven't seen the DVD, do! (I know they have several on eBay for sale quite cheap, including my own used copy!) It's not the type of movie you'll watch over and over, but it was certainly worth it for once (especially in our biz!)
    www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

I've never seen one nor been to one but I know they exist.

I also know, though, that there are quite a few Christians that love Halloween and that own and operate haunted attractions and Halloween product companies and creature shops.

It unfortunate when all Christians get lumped into the fringe anti-Halloween crowd.
    Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
    http://frightinfalcon.com

Comment

Thats me...

"I also know, though, that there are quite a few Christians that love Halloween and that own and operate haunted attractions and Halloween product companies and creature shops. "

That's Me.

Wicked Farmer is just a cover name. I'll be in church Sunday for Easter; actually I go Dec. - March except Transworld weekend of course) as farming season I am a wayward Christian. I don't care for the programs put on by some groups like this. I agree with final message but the delivery is more of a bait and switch. I'm sure they can get real intense scenes. That is what they are after. As far as politically incorrect goes I guess I have to say I am one of the 'Religious Right" on political spectrum...BUT I TAKE MY FELLOW CHRISTIANS OUT BEHIND THE WOOD SHED AND BEAT SNOT OUT OF THEM ON MANY SUBJECTS FOR BEING ASSES. I am sure many facebook friends of mine ignore my posts as I have bitch slapped them so many times openly on facebook on some of same stuff presented in these places.

Like years ago when many announced that if a Presidentail candidate picked so and so as a running mate they were staying home from vote as person so and so "wasn't anti-abortion enough". I try to keep them in line but it is impossible. UNDERSTAND THIS...the vast majority of Christians are not the fringe edge crowd who gets most attention.

Yes I am crazy enough to believe there is a God..a creator. (yes evolution is still going on) The concept of mans soul and a creator giving man a free will with a catch is a complicated thing. And if you observe these fringe elements and their antics without a basic understanding of what the core concept is you are missing the important part. Man has changed his presentation of God over the ages. Man really is a simple fool. Man can have the exact same book to read for hundreds of years or more; and constantly change. Back 100 years ago the message from a church was a preacher pounding on the podium screaming hell fire and brimstone and YOU BETTER BELIEVE OR ELSE!!! Today, it has swung around to total opposite where I attend. They fish a different way. Now they start out with singing mind numbing damn near trance enducing songs over and over. My favorite new song to hate has lines "He is author of salvation". And they repeat it over and over to the point I want to walk through the aisles and start slapping the simpletons out of their trance and say "HELLO...that is because He was first the author of damnation".

I will not get into a debate here on this subject. But if anyone wants to private message Wicked Farmer whose name should really be Christian Farmer and talk to someone who feels he has his head screwed on straight and answer questions without all the bullshit and theatrics I am here. I do believe there is a Devil...and a Hell, a Heaven and all that goes with it. Am I a saint...LOL...not hardly. Do I try to be fair to fellow man at all aspects...hell yes. Do I know all ...not a chance. And my brother; he is a preacher. We do not see eye to eye either...except on the core issue. Some of my friends bristle when they put to me that I should be more active in the church and I respond ' 'You save the world in your spare time and your 40 hour a week job. God placed me as the farmer. You save em and I'll keep em fed."

"I have fire insurance" is another thing I say often that makes them wince. But I am not actively engaged in community trying to get others that same fire insurance.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

Crazy that I came here today and read this post because I was actually thinking of coming on here and asking if anyone has had any issues with Christianity and their haunt business. I'm Catholic, youngest of 10 kids, so I'm like, REALLY CATHOLIC (hahahaha). My dad has been the director of our church choir here for 61 years, both of my parents and numerous siblings are all involved in the church. This will be my first year operating a pro haunt, and you know who has pretty much instilled my love of Halloween in me? My dad! He's always loved the holiday, always decorated the house for it, and to this day, at 86 years old, he still loves a good animated Halloween prop from Kmart!! No worries here when it comes to my family accepting and appreciating my haunt. I do, however, wonder what the word on the street will be once we open this fall. Small town, you know. The youngest daughter of the choir director turns atheist!! I can see it now!!
        ~nail in the coffin~

**Crawford School of Terror**
        Connellsville, PA

Comment

Depends on what you do

If you have a priest in chains being tortured...that will not go over very well. Sci-fi monsters..no problem. Witch in a black dress...surprisingly no problem. Same witch doing sayonce...problem. Stay away from lots of blood early on and ease them into it first year. Look for things to do that your gut tells you would be OK. Hollywood bad guys usually Ok as well. Sure...there will be a couple ole fuddy duddies who will wrinkle there nose at it; but majority will be Ok with it. Been in your shoes sort of. Remember the original content starting this thread...stay away from that..the abortion scenes etc. Been to small church service at transworld a few years back with a few other haunt owners and Distortions owners. There are a lot of us oddball Christians in the industry.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

WickedFarmer, (one Farmer to another) Agreed and well said.
            I'm a huge Alice Cooper fan not just because of how he is onstage but also because of how he is offstage. That's inspiring.

Comment

No I haven't is there a link to it?

Comment

Yes, Christians tend to be vilified in the media for two reasons-- because reporters love to sensationalize everything to grab more attention and besides, Christians are not considered a minority, and therefore, they are the one group elites can openly disparage without being called a racist or a bigot.

I've been confronted by a few fundamentalists who are opposed to haunted houses, but I'll take a religious protestor or preacher any day to the non-believers who vandalize cars, props, or the building because they not only don't believe in God, they don't believe in right, wrong, or treating others as they would want to be treated.

I know there are people here who blame fires being set by Christians against their haunt. Sure, it might have happened, because there are a few truly crazy Christians, but since no one was caught, it is also possible someone else did it. (it wouldn't be the first time Christians were blamed for setting fires they didn't -- you can ask Nero about that.)

But the bottom line is this: It's bad for business to disparage any group who comes to your haunt because a few gave you problems. Be certain that a large % of your customers consider themselves Christians whether they tell you that or not. (Most keep it to themselves unless you ask.) I've traveled a lot of different countries with a lot of different religions, and I can't help but think one of the reasons this country is so blessed/lucky and more tolerant that all the others (even to a fault) is because of our Christian heritage and its direct influence on our Constitutional form of government. To paraphrase Churchill, it may seem like the worse religion in the world-- except for all the OTHER religions! (or atheist alternatives).

I found the official trailer on Youtube:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXxfIktv8RQ
                Last edited by monsterwax; 04-02-2015, 06:37 AM.

Comment

The United States doesn't have a "Christian heritage". Most of our forefathers were deists. They also failed to mention Jesus, Christianity or God even once in the Constitution. They also felt the need to mak thievery first amendment to say one is free to practice whatever religion they choose. Then of course, there's the Treaty of Tripoli, signed by President Adams and ratified unanimously by the first Congress that literally states "The United States is not, in ANY SENSE, a Christian nation"

Not sure how it couldn't be any more clear.

Originally posted by monsterwax View Post
                  Yes, Christians tend to be vilified in the media for two reasons-- because reporters love to sensationalize everything to grab more attention and besides, Christians are not considered a minority, and therefore, they are the one group elites can openly disparage without being called a racist or a bigot.

I've been confronted by a few fundamentalists who are opposed to haunted houses, but I'll take a religious protestor or preacher any day to the non-believers who vandalize cars, props, or the building because they not only don't believe in God, they don't believe in right, wrong, or treating others as they would want to be treated.

I know there are people here who blame fires being set by Christians against their haunt. Sure, it might have happened, because there are a few truly crazy Christians, but since no one was caught, it is also possible someone else did it. (it wouldn't be the first time Christians were blamed for setting fires they didn't -- you can ask Nero about that.)

But the bottom line is this: It's bad for business to disparage any group who comes to your haunt because a few gave you problems. Be certain that a large % of your customers consider themselves Christians whether they tell you that or not. (Most keep it to themselves unless you ask.) I've traveled a lot of different countries with a lot of different religions, and I can't help but think one of the reasons this country is so blessed/lucky and more tolerant that all the others (even to a fault) is because of our Christian heritage and its direct influence on our Constitutional form of government. To paraphrase Churchill, it may seem like the worse religion in the world-- except for all the OTHER religions! (or atheist alternatives).

I found the official trailer on Youtube:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXxfIktv8RQ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

No but I have to tell you I actually went through one of these about 10 years ago what an experience....

Whole entire families acted inside including dozens of children. The haunted house was more of a interactive play and was very interesting. At the end you had the choice of heaven or hell I choose hell to see what hell was and it was the exit. Heaven was a room where they would sign you up for the church.

They had abortion scenes, suicide scenes, people dying from cancer and I even got to meet Jesus himself.

Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President
                    www.HalloweenProductions.com
                    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

I went to one about 18 years ago when they first started, I was also 18 years old at the time. So it has been over half my lifetime ago. Now I feel old. They had excellent scenes and actors. The last scene was of hell with kids on the floor screaming and the devil on a throne laughing. Then at the exit they tried to get you to join there church. My girlfriend that was with me at the time, by the way is my wife today of 15 years, She was hungry when we left. So we go to the Mcdonalds drive thru, I don't remember what I ordered but the total came to $6.66. True story.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm

So we go to the Mcdonalds drive thru, I don't remember what I ordered but the total came to $6.66. True story.

Things that make you go Hhmmmmmmm.

Comment

I married the daughter of an Assembly of God preacher. Her Uncle who married us is also AG preacher. Let's just say it runs in her family as there are many more preachers - but there are also some wild stories to be told as well! I was a little apprehensive about how the in-laws would take it when we first opened our attraction, but we kept to a theme, and stayed away from the things we ourselves didnt want to be associated with (yes, we are Christians).

Surprisingly, the in-laws have been very supportive. Maybe its because the theme of The Plague runs close to Revelations (could I have been inspired there??). We have been to some of the Christian themed attractions. We usually take the exit so we dont get trapped in the salvation queue. I dont like them.

As a sound engineer, I was asked to take over sound for a large church in Raleigh (I have worked many years as Tech Mgr for mega-churches in CA). It lasted one weekend. The audio my first day was so loud, it hurt. I measured 105 decibels at the back of the church! I turned it down to a reasonable 85 decibels, and received a lot of ugly looks from the music minister. Why? He needed it loud so the congregation could "feel the spirit." My reply?

If they needed 105 decibels to feel the spirit, he wasnt doing his job right! Needless to say we found a new church. I say all that because I have seen many of these organizations play on emotions to get people to come to church.

BTW - Amen Wicked Farmer .... well said brother!
                          Travis "Big T" Russell
                          President
                          Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

I went to one when I was about 14 and it was pretty overbearing in the way they pushed their beliefs on you, which can be expected. I can't remember specific scenes, but I will always remember them praying to conclude it then basically forcing us to be saved (Baptist run) by telling us if we didn't accept Christ we would go to Hell.... Wasn't a fan, but definitely a good way to recruit new young members to your church...

Comment

Oh yeah, the Judgement Houses are overbearing. But what do you expect? If they weren't that way, they would be competition for us! I would go in a heart beat to see them, and support them (if the season allows), because they have more in common with haunts than any other business. Of course, many of them think we're evil, but that's based on ignorance as well. (Not stupidity, just ignorance. They don't know us so they assume the worst.)

Yes, I was taught the same thing about America not being founded by Christians by my Philosophy professor. He was a former (disgruntled) Jesuit Priest-- who I still admire (though he was very biased). However, if you check the bios of said founding fathers, you find another story. Almost all of them were Christians, whether we like to admit it or not. Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson weren't really-- Jefferson tried to write his own Bible! (Literally!) Both were amazing men, though-- no doubt about that. So I stand by my earlier comments. They were a great bunch of revolutionaries, the kind I wish were running Washington now. (Not the owning slaves part, of course, but who knows how we will be judged in the future? We'll probably be condemned for marrying a different sex, owning pets and treating them like animals, eating meat, and driving gas driven cars.) Diversity & PC Activism aside, the Founders were an incredible bunch of gentlemen. While the French revolutionaries killed their political adversaries in a reign of terror (even their comrades within the revolution), ours worked together as Christians and yes, non-believers, and forged a very tolerant compromise for going forward. It was the first government system to codify limitations of power on itself. (The Magna Carta was written by Lords who were taking power from the King, and then forced him to sign it, so that was a significant difference.) We are truly blessed, and anyone who is well traveled or aware of their history realizes how rare our freedoms really are.

That aside, another fun "Fundy" tradition are those religious comic tracts. Ever see those? Chick tracts are the best, as they are loaded with cool cartoons and even sensational conspiracy theories. They are still being made after 50 years and over 250 different titles. (They are VERY collectible and fun to acquire.) Some of my favorites are ones that attack -- you guessed it-- Halloween and Haunted Houses! Chick this little dandy out (It's called "Happy Halloween":

http://chick.com/reading/tracts/0032/0032_01.asp

Here's another classic, giving theories about the demonic roots of Halloween. "Devils Night": http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/...asp?Store=True

And then the olden but golden "Boo". Any tract where the Devil appears with a chainsaw and pet rattlesnake is bound to be entertaining: http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/...asp?Store=True

I've actually used some of the tracts for advertising. (They are only 17 cents each.) I just write our website on the space provided on the back, set it in public (litterbug!) and let the fickle finger of fate do the rest. People who believe the tracts literally may not come, but those (especially college students) who enjoy the more camp element of them will often become intrigued and will show up. It's a hoot to hear people at the cash booth say, "I heard about this place on the back of a religious comic!"

Once again, where but America would you find that kind of dichotomy?

Comment

Working...
                              X