Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Room ideas that have been beaten to a pulp played out how to revive them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Room ideas that have been beaten to a pulp played out how to revive them?

There have been numerous room ideas that have been played out such as, dot room, cemetery scenes, butcher shop, drop panels. What would you do or have you done to change it up to make the same guests that return year after year think they know whats coming but fake them out by changing it up.

We have used a dot room and changed it into the flourescent paint splashed on walls room, we used white face masks all over the walls with one being an actor. Cemetery scene we decorated it differently and used more fog to create better ambiance and lighting, Vortex we are changing to a laser vortex this season, butcher room we have done various butcherings but feel its played out and need to revamp it. Drop panels we made them blend into the wall, we added a second one, we turned one into a window etc.

How would you revamp a butcher scene as far as what the actor should do or tools to add?

Room Ideas

How do you currently have the room set up and what does your actor currently do? This will help people understand what you are currently doing in that room and then might be able to give you ideas.
    David DeChamps

Panic Chambers FX, LLC
    Strategic Planning Director

Unlucky 13 Haunted Design
    Owner

Tormented 6 Haunted Design
    Founder

Comment

There are a lot of played out ideas in this industry. I think the most played out is the dot room they are just silly.

As for a butcher room Ghost Ride had a lot of awesome stuff for a butcher scene but Gore Galore saw table would bring any butcher room to life. Awesome actor animation.

Comment

When we talk about played out idea's holy cow we could go on for hours. When you think of the most overused idea's you'd go straight to everything and anything haunted mansion from a kitchen, dinning room to a bedroom. I think in the end what matters most is how you approach those rooms do you do them stereotypical or do you have a new spin on it?

When you look at most horror movies they are not that far off from 100 movies before it... so what do you offer different?

Another thing when most people buy from the same exact manufacturers that additionally creates some similarities in the end what matters most is that you can do something you haven't seen before and have a lot of passion about doing it.

I think when you are trying to take a tired old idea and make it new or different you have to think way outside of what you expect yourself to do and never be afraid to adjust, change, alter or even start over if need be. When you are happy you have done something.

BTW, I'm going to agree that getting that gore galore table would really liven up any butcher scene for sure!

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

The most played out things in a haunted house are the things that work like chainsaws. As the saying goes if it isn't broke don't fix it. Still things can get tired and in the case of the chainsaw we've seen several vendors come out with fake blades, which makes them somewhat new again. There is always a way to make something old and tired new again. I noticed at Transworld Ghost Ride had tons of stuff to make any butcher scene nice and gory!

Comment

White out

With our haunt being closed this season we have had time to get around and see other haunts. I headed to Los Angeles to see the Queen Mary attraction, and Knott's Scary Farm. The Queen Mary has one cool room I would like to try. Filled with white smoke, and white light, so all you could see was .... well white! Very disorienting, and the fog was so thick I could barely see my hand in front or my face. They had an actor dressed totally white, and face painted totally white so you didnt see them until they were right in front of you. They didnt have to say a thing, just pass in front of you real quick and that was enough!
            Travis "Big T" Russell
            President
            Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

I have seem the same done using strobes, fog, no actors makes people think someone is in there but disoriented but how do you contain the fog into that one room only.

Comment

We have done a White Room for almost 10 years. Never really talked about it or presented it to anyone. We do different things within the room to change it up, move exits, fake exits, halls that exit you then dump you right back in, ect. I designed it originally because the haunts are always so dark with black hallways and room that deprive them of sensory perception that I wanted the total opposite. Scare them in extreme sensory overload!!

It's not a very big room but effective, so effective we kinda kept to ourselves, but other local haunts have now copied versions, we also get a lot of out of town guests and this is a room everyone talks about. So we know eventually someone else will hear about or come up with themselves like we did. Very effective, just have the find the right actor that can work it all night.

Like others have stated, if you have a worn out room, effect or theme, ...think how you modify it, reverse it or rethink it out of the box.

We kept the White Room effective as simply as moving the exit and replacing it with a fake exit. People who have done it before usually say "follow me I know how to get out". Then they find the fake exit and walk into a wall! Now they have just disoriented the entire group for you!

Sometimes rooms or themes just really have to go away! Try to upgrade or retheme first, but don't be afraid to try something entirely new.
                Remember if you're not in the lead...the view never changes.
                R&J Productions
                Las Vegas, NV
                www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

Which is more unsettling?

Walking into the same room a few minutes later and a doorway is suddenly "There?"
                  Or coming back inthe room and the doorway you just walked through is...gone!?

I tend to think a Vanishing doorway boggles the mind more than an Appearing doorway.
                  I have worked it both ways, but not infront of enough customers to get a real feel for it yet.
                  Yes, this is something NEW in my 28 year old show here! (Along with many other things, of course.)
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

DO you have photos of how you did the white room? Lighting, fog?how big was the room? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X