OUTDOOR haunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OUTDOOR haunts

I made a similar post a long time ago, but I thought I'd try again...

Anyone know of any educational resources for OUTDOOR haunts? Any DVDs, books, articles, etc.? I can find tons of material about indoor haunts, but very, very little regarding outdoor haunts. Last time I posted this, a few people said they should make some materials regarding outdoor haunts, but I'm not sure anyone has actually done it. Thanks for your time!
    Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

65 views and counting, with zero replies. I'm going to take this to mean that educational materials specific to outdoor haunts still don't exist. I've found the people on this forum to almost always be helpful and full of good information, so if no one is sharing, it's because there is nothing to share. It's a pity, because there is a market for this kind of material. There is a plethora of educational materials out there for indoor haunts, but nothing (as far as I can tell) specific to outdoor haunts.

Oh well, can't blame a guy for trying. Thanks to everyone who took the time to read my post.

Comment

outside stuff..

I haven't built much for outside because Chicago it can snow and no one wants to be outside for that. But..

Somethings do go out for Que or props.

I used silicone and a product called DryLock... I think thats how it was spelled.. I made some tombstones and left them out all winter as a test. Never chipped or anything. So that stuff is pretty good. Not as cheap as joint compound but its cheaper then foam coating.

I also look for outdoor electrical, lighting and treated lumber.

Plastic props will last much longer then foam latex. I have no experience with animations outside other than using wiper motors and those will work in a hurricane.

Sorry I have no educational material to point you towards except one person pointing at => (Allen). Trial and error unfortunately might be the best route to see what works and doesn't.

Unless someone on here can add something.. People who run corn mazes or hayrides??

Peter T
      Owner
      FS
      Fables Studios
      Your Home For Horror

www.FablesStudios.com
      https://www.facebook.com/FablesStudios

Comment

Maybe focus it a bit more.? Although similar, are you looking at a hay ride, a haunted woods style or an attraction that is just outdoors (walls, rooms, in a maze). Each style is a bit different although all focus on one major aspect.....weather. EVERYTHING must be adapted for the weather, from props, to effects, to even make up and actor comfort.
        So just asking for info on an outdoor haunt is pretty broad, lime asking "...I want to open a haunt!" OK... indoors, outdoors, mobile, permanent, 3D, ?....Might get you more of the answers you're looking for
        R&J Productions
        Las Vegas, NV
        www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

In Allen's e-book on haunt basics (which was a compilation of all his helpful answers on this site) he suggests opening an outdoor haunt as a way of getting started with a smaller investment than indoors.

Isn't one of the old haunt books dedicated to outdoor haunting? Fields of Screams maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by shawnc View Post
            In Allen's e-book on haunt basics (which was a compilation of all his helpful answers on this site) he suggests opening an outdoor haunt as a way of getting started with a smaller investment than indoors.

Isn't one of the old haunt books dedicated to outdoor haunting? Fields of Screams maybe?
            Which Allen are you talking about?
            Do you have a link to the e-book?
            Thanks.
            Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
            http://frightinfalcon.com

Comment

I think this may be what Shawnc is talking about.
              http://hauntdawgs.com/products/hopps-on-haunts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, that's it.

Comment

Thanks for the link.
                  Thanks, you guys.
                  Fright In Falcon Haunted Maze
                  http://frightinfalcon.com

Comment

Thanks for the advice! Does your haunt have a website? I'd love to check it out!

Originally posted by mrfoos
                    I've been running a pro outdoor haunt for the past two years. We've had minimal 50 paid staff each night open. I know the grass is always greener... but I envy the inside haunt guys. As RJ said, rain is the most significant planning factor. But there are others like :

* theft prevention (can't lock the door on a forest trail or corn maze)
                    * animal damage prevention (mice LOVE to chew on power cords, deer run through things smashing things up)
                    * power source !
                    * sound delivery (no walls to hold it in)
                    * direct sunlight (sun can damage too)
                    * wind (wind can fall trees, drop limbs, push over props)
                    * scene dividing (easy to divide scenes inside with rooms... but how in the open forest / field? it's tough)

I certainly don't have it all figured out yet, but I've worked through a lot of issues. It's tough work.

Comment

I hear ya about the snow, Peter. I'm in mid-Michigan. It seems like it's been quite a while since we've had snow on Halloween though. Had a nice wind storm last year that knocked down part of a tent in my home haunt though.

Originally posted by FablesStudios View Post
                      I haven't built much for outside because Chicago it can snow and no one wants to be outside for that. But..

Somethings do go out for Que or props.

I used silicone and a product called DryLock... I think thats how it was spelled.. I made some tombstones and left them out all winter as a test. Never chipped or anything. So that stuff is pretty good. Not as cheap as joint compound but its cheaper then foam coating.

I also look for outdoor electrical, lighting and treated lumber.

Plastic props will last much longer then foam latex. I have no experience with animations outside other than using wiper motors and those will work in a hurricane.

Sorry I have no educational material to point you towards except one person pointing at => (Allen). Trial and error unfortunately might be the best route to see what works and doesn't.

Unless someone on here can add something.. People who run corn mazes or hayrides??

Peter T
                      Owner
                      FS

Comment

Northern Michigan here -

We are located up in Traverse City - Northern Michigan, we have a Hayride and Large trail that is outdoors as well as 3-4 indoor haunts - Our biggest issue in the past 3 years has been unusually high amounts of rain in October which has been a big hurdle. You have to not only try to make things water tight, but also consider that when they to get wet they get a lot heavier - Most things like scarecrows, or anything with clothing will get weighed down - so be sure to secure them accordingly. The other big issue is wind of course - We get some pretty strong winds here as well with the rain. Make sure all fencing, camo netting, etc. is secured more than you think it should be and always double check things after a storm rolls through.

Water drain off is sometimes also an issue - Our trail stays fairly walkable because we are at a fairgrounds area that have a paved walk, or only issues is where the trail strays off here and there into our scare zones - Water will pool up in mud puddles, the best way we have found to remedy this is filling them in with wood chips. It helps stop the pooling water - and if it still gets soaked as least it doesn't turn into a nasty slippery mud hole.

Anything that can blow away will - so again make sure things are secured to the ground the best way possible.

Comment

Working...
                        X