Kersey Valley Spookywoods 30th Season - Mansion Facade Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kersey Valley Spookywoods 30th Season - Mansion Facade Build

I never dreamed the haunted house I started on a dare in 1985 at the age of 15 would turn out to be part of a family of attractions on our farm 30 years later! We wanted to build a new face to the main attraction as part of the 30th year celebration. The art department came up with the Kersey Valley Haunted Manor. I started a build progress page for my fellow haunters just like I did for the haunted castle back in 2007 that made the cover of Hauntworld issue #16. I'm working with the local city to get water service to build a wedding barn, so until I have that we can't build an indoor structure over 999 square feet without a sprinkler system. The facade will be 1 foot under this restriction to allow us to have the feel a real house, but then your back outside in the outdoor maze. It will be also be a scary multi room Escape game year round.

Joh Harp gives us a behind the scenes look at the haunted mansion build.

Check out the page at
    http://spookywoods.com/spookywoods-mansion.htm

To see more of what we do visit http://www.kerseyvalley.com

Last edited by twohlgemuth; 08-13-2015, 04:32 PM.
    Tony Wohlgemuth,
    Comes up with the fun stuff!
    Kersey Valley, Inc.
    www.KerseyValley.com

I can't wait to see the finished product!!!

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Updated Photos

The Mansion is starting to get some height!

Check out the page at
      http://spookywoods.com/spookywoods-mansion.htm
      Tony Wohlgemuth,
      Kersey Valley, Inc.
      www.KerseyValley.com

Comment

First, that "facade" looks as big as an actual house! It's interesting to me that you go through a house facade to get to an OUTDOOR maze. Is the intention to have it seem like they're always inside the house, or will the story be that they're going out to the woods through the house? Just curious.
        Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

Mansion Entrance

This is the entrance to our 50,000 square foot outdoor maze. The theme takes them through the house and down to the cellar which will be back outside and through the graveyard. Then the theme changes 3 more times going in and out of other smaller buildings. It's a massive house as you can see, we still have to add the other sections on top with a crane. The structure on the right is our tallest zip line tower that is 65ft tall. I built that tower there so the haunt guest would see our night time zipline guests flying around at night. It also makes for a cool vantage point looking down at the haunt.

Since we do not have a sprinkler system we had to keep the size under 1,000 square feet. The future plans are to build a warehouse behind this entrance to keep it all under roof. The cost to bring the city water to my property 1/4 mile is $250,000. We have applied for a grant with the state of NC to try to get some funding for the water project. We are building a Event Barn on this same property soon, having city water would be nice, but it's looking like a well with a storage tank for fire suppression is going to be less expensive. The bad thing by not having city water is every structure will need it's own storage tank and pump. In the long run biting the bullet for city water looks to be the best solution as we are always adding new buildings.
          Last edited by twohlgemuth; 07-14-2015, 09:36 AM.
          Tony Wohlgemuth,
          Kersey Valley, Inc.
          www.KerseyValley.com

Comment

Update July 26th

More photos and a video posted of the latest progress.
            Tony Wohlgemuth,
            Kersey Valley, Inc.
            www.KerseyValley.com

Comment

Thanks for posting, very interesting to see that facade go up like that.

Question, you mentioned 1,000 sq ft marker, but also said your "farm".. are you in the city limits or no? Around here, as long as you're outside city limits you can go outside the 1,000 ft marker without restrictions. However, of course that CAN make it a bit more challenging to keep safer. Was curious as to if you're being monitored by the FM and if so, if you were in his jurisdiction / city limits.

Thanks.

Comment

Regulations

Since you asked, I'll give you some insight on permitting in my area. We are on a 60 acres farm that was outside the city limits until we built the zipline tour. Since we wanted to be open year round the county permitting required us to rezone to RS40 with special conditions. The conditions were paved driveways at the street, permanent restrooms, no smoking on property, and a list of attractions we can't produce. Before we could comply with these conditions we had a public hearing and approval from the county council and all neighbors adjoining land owners. We had to have a site plan by an engineer drawn up and I hired a layer to present my case to the county board. We passed the hearing and even had business leaders in the area speak on our behalf on how we have had a positive impact on the community. We were required to upgrade all building structures to a certain code, even barns that were built in the 1900's had to be up fit. Needless to say, but we jumped through many hoops to get to where we are today. Persistence paid off as we are now open 365 days a year with our zipline, escape games, laser tag and high ropes course.

There was one condition to being allowed to attached to they local main sewer line that crossed through our farm and that was to be annexed into the city. We had no choice as to handle the volume of water from the rest rooms we had to connect to it. So, now we are in the city, but my neighbors are not. We are under the jurisdiction of the local fire marshal, building, electrical, and health departments. They are always consulted on our projects and it's been a pleasure working with them. In fact, most of the fire department works for us as zipline guides.

Our next project is a 11,000 sqf event barn, once that is done we plan on building a warehouse behind this haunted mansion to bring most of our outdoor maze under roof.
                Tony Wohlgemuth,
                Kersey Valley, Inc.
                www.KerseyValley.com

Comment

Haunted Manor - Escape Game

We decided to get double use out of this manor and now it will be our 3rd Escape Game. Escape the Haunted Manor will be a scary multi room game that will be open during day year round and part of the haunt at night during our Spookywoods season.
                  Tony Wohlgemuth,
                  Kersey Valley, Inc.
                  www.KerseyValley.com

Comment

Show some pictures brother! LOL

Can't wait to see the final product. Larry
                    Larry Kirchner
                    President

Comment

New Updated Photos

Check out http://spookywoods.com/spookywoods-mansion.htm
                      Tony Wohlgemuth,
                      Kersey Valley, Inc.
                      www.KerseyValley.com

Comment

Awesome job tony!

Larry
                        Larry Kirchner
                        President

Comment

Tony,

I might have to come see this for myself. Incredible!

Comment

WOW! Incredible.

Comment

Working...
                            X