Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunt Faire: The Review.

Hey All!

So there was a brand new convention that was promoted exceptionally well this past weekend in Long Island, New York called Haunt Faire.

The show was very different and not your typical convention.

For attendees: There were TONS of options for classes, sessions, how-to's and some really great discussions. Their event schedule was crazy and there was always something going on, you were not paying for a show floor, but rather a unique experience full of private discussion rooms that offered a wealth of knowledge from people all across the board. The vendor floor was small, but intimate. I think the convention producers learned a significant amount from their first year as they have already planned for a larger and more ideal space for a show floor within the same convention center. Next year there will be two show floors, which will help increase sales significantly for vendors selling haunt products and services, and offer a better atmosphere for the celebrities and non-haunt vendors to host their meet and greets.

From a vendor perspective: The show floor was not the event producers main concern, which I'm not saying it should be, but there were so many things going on outside of the show floor that it left a lot to be desired for foot traffic in the show floor itself. Next year it'd be nice to see a break a couple times a day where attendees have actual time dedicated to just the show floor, since let's face it, vendors go there to make money, so they should be given a little higher priority. But overall, it was a learning curve and a risk worth taking for a first year show. As a vendor, I'm excited for next years show, because the networking we made and the improvements we've already began to see from the producer is highly promising.

Overall, this is a great show for haunt owners to bring actors, employees, make up artists, and more to. There is something for every one of your personnel to take away from this experience. Especially since if you're in New England/NY then it's an affordable trip in a populated area. It would be cool to see a haunt tour for next year, as there are some incredible places in the area that could justify the organization of a haunt tour or two. For a vendor, the interaction to be had with fellow haunters, old clients, new clients, and prospective clients, is invaluable. Although you will deal with a lot of people who aren't serious buyers, if you offer affordable products/services to the home haunters/enthusiasts/actors, while bringing one or two nice display pieces to show off to the haunt owners in attendance, you can do rather well and have a very effective use of time.

Year one is never easy and certainly nothing to go by permanently, but it will be the steps the show takes to make year two blow up tenfold that holds the value in this show. Elsie and her crew did a wonderful job for jumping into unfamiliar territory with the haunt industry, but their background in event production is what made this show a success and I see great things for years to come. So if you are able to spare some time around this time next year, give it a shot, I have high hopes for the future of this show.
Working...
X