Vacuum Panels & Mobile Haunt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum Panels & Mobile Haunt...

So we're starting to get deep into the scrap piles, starting to buy all the tools etc that we don't have but need... getting ready to start set design etc.

Question one: What are your thoughts on form panels inside a trailer? You know, they're about 102" wide, and up to 53' or so in length. Making way for small rooms / sets. My pondering is leaving me with an indecisive taste in my mouth about whether it's too small for form panels. Larry is HUGE into realism. He'd rather have the most realistic sets even though it costs him more to get it done. Is it worth investing a grand into form panels for a few rooms? Or is it best to buy the foam, wood etc and spend the hours rather than the cash, since patrons will be much closer to them?

Question two: WHO to buy from? I'm looking at Nightscream and they have beautiful work and I know that they have some rather durable panels. (some in past have been downed at their thinness and lacking in durability) Last I heard Scareparts are out the window and not stirring the pot, the man behind it had bad report with some customers. (not my dog, nor fight, just facts from knowing the threads)

I can cut, miter cut, I'm an artist, a painter, body man etc. I can do a LOT of things, but the shit you can get in a formed panel can save SO MUCH damn time. Like say all the carved detailing etc in let's say, Victorian setting, or the stone work alone would save weeks of labor!

Form Panel Route: Yes or No? and maybe a why?

Who's a reputable vendor?

We try to AVOID these panels at all costs... what I think is totally SILLY is buying these panels to make like some mansion look. THAT IS TOTALLY FAKE... you mentioned Nightscream I mean c'mon he did a panel of a barrel I thought that was pretty funny. Why would you do that? Whenever you are building your haunt you want to go for as much realism as possible and a vac form barrel just isn't the answer.

For the haunter who has NO ability, NO creativity, or simply just NO budget yeah go for it build your entire haunt out of it but your haunt in reality probably SUCKS and won't last anyway. Whenever you can avoid these panels but when you find a good panel that just makes good sense you snag it ... all haunters are looking at ways to cut corners, save money, while getting the most bang for the buck. We use vac form panels again ONLY when it makes total sense. Building a mansion ... build the mansion with your hands and skip the panels.

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Thanks Larry.

I was particularly looking at the panels for rock, skull laden walls that would go good for underground. Things like that. There are a LOT of vendors out there selling panels that mainstream in the home construction market. They have some really nice panels but really don't fit into haunts. Some do have "halloween" themed ones with skulls like a dungeon etc. but that's about it.

But for rocky terrain / walls, brick, mud etc I think there could be a good use for them for us, but not sure if we'd be better off just carving our own foam etc.

Comment

Scare parts guy...

The Scare Parts guy, Keith, is still in business, still making panels. He used to produce the panels for Nightscream, before Nightscream bought their own machine. You want to contact him?

Comment

If you are only looking for ROCK there are several companies who sell rock and several different styles. Most of the best vac form suppliers who offer rock have never even been to the TW show.
          Larry Kirchner
          President
          www.HalloweenProductions.com
          www.BlacklightAttractions.com
          www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
          www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Not so bad

Hey Hacksaw - Had a client a few years back that had a bunch of NightScream panels and I think they work great in a pinch.

I didn't have to buy them and they were surprising thick and well made and thick. Overall outcome was great and think that the right kind should be perfect for a trailer haunt. Just my two cents.

I have built rooms from scratch and yes they look better, but when you are short on time and need to build a theme, I find panels work great. Not as bad as I thought to disassemble and store either.

Hope this helps.

PB
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Phantom Blue; 09-17-2015, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Not so bad

Hey Hacksaw - Had a client a few years back that had a bunch of NightScream panels and I think they work great in a pinch.

I didn't have to buy them and they were surprising thick and well made and thick. Overall outcome was great and think that the right kind should be perfect for a trailer haunt. Just my two cents.

I have built rooms from scratch and yes they look better, but when you are short on time and need to build a theme, I find panels work great. Not as bad as I thought to disassemble and store either.

Hope this helps.

PBTorture-Room.jpgSpikes.jpgMorgue2.jpgMansion-CloseUp.jpgMansion.jpg

Comment

Well Larry, I'm not particularly looking / thinking about JUST rock / natural formation... but that is the first thing I'm thinking of. Like I like what I see on a few of your panels you have on your site like the coffin etc. I just know I don't want to do my entire haunt out of it. Perhaps a few rooms maybe. I did think of doing a lot more than that, but after tossing it around I'd rather have at least half of it hand crafted and as realistic as possible.

Thanks for the post bud, liked the pictures! See when I think of Morgue Doors, I can't see myself justified in buying a panel when doing the doors and handles would look better, be hinged etc and be a whole lot more detailed.... I just can't see it. Like the oval iron door panel you see... hell I think that'd be fun to build... but ...

I don't know. I just need to figure out which panels I'm interested in using and then seeing if it's logistically better to go with.

Comment

Working...
                X