And the survey says

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the survey says

Saw this article in Convenience Store Decisions; they surveyed adults about their plans for Halloween. Since Halloween falls on a Saturday; many indicated they are going to a party, only 2% of adults said they are going to a haunted house. Since they don’t indicate the age group or provide actual numbers and the company sponsoring the survey sells alcoholic beverages; I’m assuming they surveyed adults over 21? See the results below. Kelly Collins, The ScareAtorium Columbus

How Are Adults Celebrating Halloween?
    October 19, 2015 CSD Staff
    Saturday Halloween means adults are 70% more likely to celebrate, with 80% buying candy and 84% purchasing alcohol.
    With Halloween falling on a Saturday this year, Adults will be more likely to celebrate the holiday and make purchases to go along with it!
    Some 70% of adults said they plan to celebrate this year, according to a study by BevMo!— an alcoholic beverage-lifestyle specialty retailer in the western U.S.—that surveyed 16,000 adults. What’s more, the survey found 45% of respondents don’t plan on dressing up, but nearly two-thirds (65%) will put out Halloween decorations, and eight out of 10 will buy candy for trick-or-treaters.
    To help celebrate the holiday at home or at a friend’s house, 84% said they plan on buying alcohol for the occasion.
    “Nearly half of those surveyed felt Halloween has become just as much an adult holiday as it is a kids holiday,” said Michelle Farabaugh, chief marketing officer for BevMo! “With it falling on Saturday this year, I think we’ll see just as many adults as we do kids out enjoying one of the most festive and social nights of the year.”
    When asked how they plan on celebrating the holiday this year, most respondents (37%) said “attending an adult party” or “hosting an adult party.”
    Approximately one-out-of-five said they plan on staying home and handing out candy, while 13% expect to take their kids trick-or-treating. Two percent plan to visit a haunted house.
    Most people plan on getting into the “spirits” of the holiday. Of those attending a Halloween party this year, more than 50% said they will opt for a liquor-based beverage (festive cocktail or make their own mixed drink); meanwhile, 24% will reach for beer and 23% a glass of wine.
    If invited to a Halloween get-together, alcohol clearly trumps candy in terms of what to bring. Eighty-six percent of respondents said they will most likely bring alcohol, while only 11% said they will bring candy. Three percent indicated they will arrive empty-handed.
    When asked what types of Halloween treats they prefer to complement their Halloween beverage, not surprisingly “anything chocolate” was the clear favorite (59%). “Candy corn” came in at 11%, slightly behind “I don’t like candy.”
    “For all those who prefer a chocolate Halloween treat, we suggest pairing it with a stout. The way the darker, aromatic malts combine with that candy is scary good,” continued Farabaugh.

So this is my first year opening a haunt. We have been getting busier each weekend. I am looking for advice on opening Halloween night versus closing. A 2% turnout seems pretty low (obviously). What are some of your past experiences with Halloween night haunts that fall on a weekend?

Thanks
    Jack

Comment

Many haunts skip Halloween because it's not very busy.

Jake

Comment

I hope that is wrong. Please let that be wrong. Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jdbeckwith View Post
          So this is my first year opening a haunt. We have been getting busier each weekend. I am looking for advice on opening Halloween night versus closing. A 2% turnout seems pretty low (obviously). What are some of your past experiences with Halloween night haunts that fall on a weekend?

Thanks
          Jack
          Just remember you'll be competing with EVERY bar, club, and street festival holding a 'Halloween bash/sexy costume contest' in your area in addition to trick or treating and Halloween parties. If you don't have a lot of those nearby, you might do OK but most of your target demographic who don't have kids will probably be partying it up to some degree
          http://www.bigscaryshow.com
          http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

I too hope they are wrong, but since it is Halloween, then we will be competing with all other sorts of activities. Again, the survey was of people 21 and over and only 2% of that group said they were going to a haunted house. However, a younger demographic (15 - 20) can't get into bars and they may be more inclined to visit a haunt. Halloween hasn't fallen on a Saturday since 2009. It was a slow night for us then, but the weather was very windy and rainy too.

I wouldn't plan on Saturday, Oct 31 being a big night for haunted attractions. I hope I'm wrong. It might be a good night to offer a special discount coupon on Facebook or some other form of social media.

Kelly
            The ScareAtorium

Comment

This survey should be taken with a grain of salt. We don't know where it was conducted, and if that place--or places-- have any (or many) haunted houses. Obviously, if it's conducted in several places and half of them do not have haunted houses (or only have bad haunted houses) then the results are going to be very low. But ALL of those places will have alcohol, so that result would be inflated in comparison. Here in Florida, (and in the south in general) there are a lot of cities without haunts (certainly without professional haunts)-- but we're awash in booze.

I can also tell you that Halloween is one of our biggest nights, so much so, that we're hiring added security. We have been SLAMMED that night in the past, and we're expecting the same this year, especially since it's on the Saturday. That doesn't mean your area should expect the same results, but neither would I trust this survey to accurately predict your Halloween traffic. (It certainly doesn't accurately predict ours.)
              www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

Halloween is always our busiest night. If your haunt is closed on Halloween maybe you need to close for good.

Comment

Well the survey was wrong for us. We had our second largest crowd of the season on Halloween night (only missed the previous record by 10 people). The weather was cool and cloudy and light rain started around 10:00 pm, but our queue line is under cover, so it didn't seem to bother us. We had a good number of people in costumes too. Our attendance was up this year, 2015 has been our best year yet. We still have four more nights to go in December.

Kelly
                  The ScareAtorium Columbus

Comment

Any low Halloween turnout predictions were certainly wrong for us-- we had our biggest turn out of the season that night, up a whopping 50%! (Thank goodness there wasn't a night football game, as it would have badly impacted our traffic and parking.) The positive word of mouth and social media comments really helped goose Halloween attendance. IF YOU BUILD IT (right), THEY WILL COME.
                    www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

Working...
                    X