Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning for 2016? What steps do you take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning for 2016? What steps do you take?

We've recently ventured into the social media marketing strategy business in the Haunted Attraction industry and we've learned a lot! So here are some thoughts, from our experience, on tips and tricks of the trade when planning out your next year's Haunt theme and marketing strategy.

- If you can't explain your Haunt backstory in 140 characters or less, it's too complicated.
    If your back story is a couple pages long, then you've put too much work into it and it will blow right over the heads of your customers.

- Create a voice. It's really important to have a singular image with your seasonal theme. That includes color, tone and character. You may feel like you're doing yourself a favor by catering to a wide audience by creating multiple images of your Haunt, but this usually causes confusion. You want people to see your fliers, your banners, your tickets and your website and know that it's all coming from the same source. This helps when your ad agency or graphics are created by one body, rather than several. If that's you, then stay consistent

- Don't allow discount prices to become your bread and butter for marketing. It's called price degradation, and it's going to hurt your business in the long run. Instead of offering everyone $3 dollars off, run an early campaign for a pair of free tickets, or better yet -- offer something MORE than the general admission experience without messing with the price. The problem that we've found in Haunts running too many discount campaigns is it often keeps potential customers waiting for the best deal and therefore putting off your Haunt rather than running to the ticket booth. There are better options you can offer: Front of the line, VIP treatment, interactive experience, glow stick wristbands, character photo shoots, etc. These are things that cost you very little extra in expenses, and you're still retaining the level ticket price.

What else do you Haunters do when planning out your season's theme, marketing strategy, or new additions? Share with the rest of us!
    Austin Smoot, Specter Media
    www.SpecterMedia.biz
    contact@specterenterprises.com

Someone has been listening to Marketing Monday! Great tips.

-Tyler
    http://www.hauntdesignkit.com
    >Download free Google SketchUp collections made just for haunt owners and designers.

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HauntDesignKit

Comment

Originally posted by Valley_of_Screams View Post
      Someone has been listening to Marketing Monday! Great tips.

-Tyler
      Haha, great minds think alike I'm sure. I've been playing catchup recently, but I have a few more I would like to add. Expect to hear from us soon!
      Austin Smoot, Specter Media
      www.SpecterMedia.biz
      contact@specterenterprises.com

Comment

I'm not sure if you asked a question or answered one but in my view I'd say information. I took some great advice I read off these boards this past year, made some notes, followed them and it paid off for me. We made a lot of changes to how we operate our attractions and hit several home runs. So from my point of view its nothing more than realizing you don't know everything, there is always a different point of view, so be open minded enough to try something different.

Larry keeps talking about visiting other haunts, buying videos, seminars, going to IAAPA to participation on these boards. Oh and going to his haunted house tour I think that may be his #1 suggestion (sorry Larry LOL). Either way we did go to Larry's haunted house tour and we had a great time with that, so we expanded on that and took some time out and visited a few more nearby this October. I must say it was hit and miss but even the misses presented themselves with wonderful and unique idea's. We did more seminars last year at Transworld and I can admit we got some idea's that we incorporated into our operation and they worked! There is no doubt not all haunted house tours are good, or seminars have great information, or every article in a Hauntworld Magazine helped us but it was the overall sum of everything that made the difference for us this year.

We want to personally thank every haunted house owner who dedicated themselves to posting on this forum, creating how to videos, doing a seminar, opening your haunt and showing us around when you didn't have to. This industry doesn't get the credit it deserves for the good people who do nothing but help their fellow haunted house owner.

All of you made the difference but only when you open yourself up to learning new things. Again thank you all!

Comment

Giving away tickets is good when it's done the way Austin does it-- by making the participants "share" your link. One way I do not think works well is when radio stations give away lots of tickets. Although it does get the word out, it promotes the feeling that the tickets are basically free, or should be free, and that if you have to pay for them you're a loser. (Which, technically speaking, you would be, since you didn't "win" them.)

We once teamed up with a radio station and gave them lots of discount coupons to pass out around town and encourage people to come. Part of the deal was their DJs would come and do a live remote a certain night, which they did. That specific night, we received the usual amount of people, but nearly all of them had coupons. At first, I thought, "Thank goodness we did the coupon, or else hardly ANYONE would have shown up!" But then I found out they were giving the coupons away at the radio remote table in front of our haunt. Can someone spell sTupIdo? The coupons were supposed to get people to COME to the haunt. If they were already here, we're just THROWING MONEY AWAY giving them opportunistic discounts after they arrived. Jeesy weezey, i still can't believe someone in promotions was that $%#$ing stupid! (But again, I guess WE deserve some of that credit too, since we hired them!)
          www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

Working...
          X