Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is considered a building in regard to fire code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is considered a building in regard to fire code?

I am anticipating opening my own haunt for the 2016 season and it appears location is one of the biggest hurdles. I'm familiar with the special amusement fire code requiring alarm systems and sprinklers and such. My question is, what is the definition of a building? It wouldn't apply to outdoor haunts that use only panels, correct? What about open air buildings with only a roof? There is a commercial property for sale near me that is 4000+ sq feet and is essentially a pole barn "building" with no side walls and a roof. Would a building like this still need a sprinkler system?
    Slash
    "If you fail to plan, plan to fail"

fire code

I live in Nebraska, and my fire marshal says if it has a roof it has to have sprinklers. Codes vary along with the interpretation, so you might want to check with your states office.
    greyhousehaunts.com

Comment

The roof would constitute a building. The best thing to do is go talk to the fire marshal and get his view. remember that the safety of your customers should come first no mater what the code says. If you take short cuts and someone dies it hurts the whole industry and you would deserve to get sued for it. Your best bet is to build in 1000 sf tents and make these like conected pods that are separated and this would get you past the codes and make it posible to move anywhere.
      Phatman

Comment

It all comes down to the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) in your location. We all know that the books may say one thing, but whatever the AHJ says is what goes. Sometimes this can work in your favor, sometimes it doesn't. Just be polite, professional, and demonstrate a clear plan for your attraction. I'd look into what the rules are and meet with the AHJ for a potential location before I'd commit to leasing/purchasing a property.

Comment

I'm not an expert however if you do an open air haunted house I believe you don't need much in the way of safety equipment. Inside a building with a maze in the event of a fire would be much harder to exit the building so the need is there for more equipment.

Comment

When you build a haunted house OUTSIDE you have almost NO fire codes to follow however that doesn't mean there isn't as many if not more safety issues.

1) Where people walk can become muddy, slippery, or there could be things sticking out of the ground. We always coat every walk way with either a ton of gravel or wood with non-slip paint.

2) Electrical issues outside are always an issue you have to make sure none of your electric can touch the ground, while at the same time wrap any and all outlets with plastic bags. Additionally you need to make sure you use GIF so in case something slips into water your electric won't work.

3) You almost must control where people can walk when you do an outside haunt they could walk anywhere so that is always an issue.

When building a haunt outside you have as many if not more problems. Keep everything in mind even if your fire dept doesn't.

Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone
              Slash
              "If you fail to plan, plan to fail"

Comment

Building or no ??? good qestion..

Greetings all ~

I do have to say Larry is correct when he says 'When you build a haunted house OUTSIDE you have almost NO fire codes to follow however that doesn't mean there isn't as many if not more safety issues.'

When I ran an outdoor haunt with a friend of mine .. I DID check with building inspector and with the fire dept. ( we had a fireman on staff) and they said .. AS LONG AS it was open air there wasn't an issue.
                yyou
                But yes also as Larry has eluded to there ARE a BUNCH of other issues that you will deal with as far as safety and such .

Comment

Working...
                X