No announcement yet.

R u using metal detectors? Or plan to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R u using metal detectors? Or plan to?

Now that theme parks are amping up security, anyone plan to use metal detectors in their attractions next year? I have visited a few haunts that already do it?

We have used walk-throughs along with wands for about 5 years. Wouldn't consider running without them. What questions do you have?

Originally posted by thehauntgr View Post
    Now that theme parks are amping up security, anyone plan to use metal detectors in their attractions next year? I have visited a few haunts that already do it?
    Last edited by Karl Fields; 12-29-2015, 09:52 AM.
    http://www.piratesofemerson.com

Comment

This is actually a great question. Fabulous question in fact... Karl let me ask you how do you wand all these people does it slow your line down at all?

Larry
      Larry Kirchner
      President
      www.HalloweenProductions.com
      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by drfrightner View Post
        This is actually a great question. Fabulous question in fact... Karl let me ask you how do you wand all these people does it slow your line down at all?

Larry
        In our venue, customers buy their tickets outside and then are let into our 6 acre fenced compound. From this compound they gain access to any of the hunted houses, mazes, games, food and what not.

We positioned the metal detectors at the compound entrance (after they purchase tickets). The detectors are similar looking to something you walk thru at an airport. Bags, phones, etc are placed in a container that gets scrutinized a security person. If a customer sets the detector off, they are subjected to a hand wand.

The first year we did this we had terrible backups. The next year we added two more detectors, but that didn’t really alleviate the initial backup. So we changed it. We now open our ticket windows and compound entrance 30 minutes prior to our open time. Now, once the guests are thru the metal detectors, they are let into a roped off area of the compound, they only thing they have access to is the restrooms. When our open times occurs the ropes are dropped and we are going!

This has worked very well for us, no overwhelming security lines, plus we have the added benefit of hundreds of people to immediately feed the queue lines.

We use a private security company to staff the detectors as I didn’t want to have to train additional staff for this and didn’t want the direct liability that this invasive process can bring on.

We give the guest the choice of returning any contraband discovered to their car or disposing of it. Amazing amount of stuff discovered from guns, knives, screwdrivers to the beer cans and tasers. We are not located in an inner city environment and were quite surprised by the quantities. To be fair the guns were always off duty cops or people with concealed carry permits. We have a no tolerance policy for guns, so we turn them all away. I want to know where any weapons are! The only guns allowed in are uniformed cops. The off duties are the biggest problems. They don’t want to store their weapons in the car for fear of breakins. If they make a big deal out of it we then usually let them park near the entrance in the handicap area and store the item in the trunk. Most are good with this.

Funniest was some guy who claimed to be Secret Service (had ID) and then wanted us to care for his weapon. After a lot of “discussion” on why this wasn’t happening, it turns out the weapon was a damn knife. Was he serious? Protect the pres with a knife?

Comment

We used them and we had a sign up that said NO GUNS allowed. We are a conceal state.

Comment

Karl,

Thanks for all your insight. Couple questions I'd like to ask you including how many guns did you find on people and what is the reaction of the guests/security when they find them. Secondly do you think your customers felt you are doing this because its dangerous or do you think this made them feel safer? Thank you in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by gorezone View Post
              Karl,

Thanks for all your insight. Couple questions I'd like to ask you including how many guns did you find on people and what is the reaction of the guests/security when they find them. Secondly do you think your customers felt you are doing this because its dangerous or do you think this made them feel safer? Thank you in advance.

We didn't track guns, but it was probably one every other night. But remember that these weren't gangbangers, all of these weapons were legal on the street. Person carrying were hardly ever mad, but they were not happy. Security would radio in on each gun, not because it was a gun, but because the guest wanted an exemption from the rules. My son or I would personally handle each of these requests - always with the same outcome. Guess I could install gun lockers and create a new profit center - not

Without a doubt people felt safer, I sure did, and I can't remember one complaint on the detectors (except for those refused admittance) while many commented on the positive aspect of it.

Comment

Metal detectors

Karl,
                Thank you for the feedback. I didn't have a question in particular, just curious how many people were doing this.
                Thanks for the compliment Larry.
                Jim

Comment

I remember reading that Universal Studios - Florida added metal detectors several months ago, and there were dozens and dozens of comments from Universal customers on the article, and ALL of the comments were positive! I guess no one wants to get stabbed, shot, or blown-up when they're trying to have a good time?
                  Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

Working...
                  X